The Lesson I REFUSE to Learn

2»

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,146

My sign would probably need a lighted, moving marquis around it. LMAO

Laurie

• FauvistFauvist Posts: 2,044

EVERY time I make a change I SAVE it.  In DazStudio and in Photoshop.  I am obsessive about saving my work.  I'm also obsessive about backing up EVERYTHING in real time.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,953

As a gamer I have learned to save, and save often, though even so, I have been caught with my pants down on occasion!

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,678
    edited February 2019

Politely ask Daz why most computers shut down when using their program. It's a free software anyway.

How do you know? Do you have access to the data from eveyones computers?

I have only had DS crash on me a handful of times (knock on wood)

...back when I was still on the old 32 bit notebook, I had Daz crash almost regularly (with only 2 GB of total system memory available as well as both the Daz Porgramme and scene open taking up resources and being someone who tended to build rather ambitious scenes, it wasn't an unusual occurrence), so I learned to save changes frequently from very early on.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603

Ctrl L, ctrl S, ctrl R: (lights, save, render) That key sequence is motor memory now, with many saves in between. As has been said before, auto-save can overwrite something you only wished to tweak, save-as, then load in another scene. All my dialed characters are saved separately and I merge them into a scene. Sometimes I'll open the character, re-pose, or change a prop, then save-as. Autosave would be my doom.

• melaniemelanie Posts: 772

Looks like we're all in the same boat. I've done it repeatedly. I've also had DS restart my computer with the Blue Screen of Death and that annoying frowny face. You'd think I would be better at saving often. I used to work in a word processing center where we were stressed to save often while working on documents. Now, when I'm working on a complicated scene or playing with character morphs, I try to remember to save every time I make a minute change. But I'm as human as the rest of you. I do sometimes get so engrossed in my work that I forget to save. I guess we're all in good company! LOL

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    McGyver said:

Incremental saves that you have control of... at least one of the programs I use gives you the ability to chose a time frame... I set mine to about 30 minutes, because most programs seem to get a little brain fart when they autosave... which is annoying. And at the rate I model stuff a half hour isn’t too much progress vs the annoyance.

The other option would be to have a little window pop up that asks: 

Hey, Stupid... Apparently you haven’t saved your scene in a while and you have just chosen an option that you might regret doing so without saving... Would you like to save now so you don’t throw the computer out the window again if anything goes wrong?...  

Options:  Yes, Thank you.       No, I feel INVINCIBLE! 

It probably could be worded better, but that’s an option... also that could be an option to turn on or off in preferences.

A new release of software went live today at work; lots of phone calls, and all (yes all) user error - and usually very basic user error. I think your wording is about right. :)

• I'm not a fan of apps that rely mostly on keyboard shortcuts (Blender, Max) but when using DS, I have one hand on the mouse and the other over ctrl+s from start to finish. I also listen to music while working, and time my ctrl+s'ing to song sections. Chorus = ctrl+s. Guitar solo = ctrl+s. Breakdown = ctrl+s. Scaramouche, scaramouche will you do the ctrl+s dango, thunderbolts and losing my work, very very frightening meeee ctrl+s 

Autosaving in apps has been known to cause those apps to crash when it fires, epecially if you initiate an action simultaneously. And then you end up with a corrupted save. Iterative/incremental saving is a fine theory, for small files. For large scenes, you'd need revision files that only recorded what was changed, and that loaded with the scene file they were based on. That way you can selectively remove changes by removing the revision, but still keep the main scene and whatever revisions up to that point.

• Taoz said:

I have a big, "Remember to save" sign taped directly above my monitor. 

Then you just need a 'Remember to read the "Remember to save" ' message... wink

Yup old folks need to remember lots of things...

• WahilWahil Posts: 307

This is far from the first time this has happened to me.

Why can't I learn that?  Whyyyyyyy?

"Who ever said the human race was logical?

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

It happens. The thing I fear just as much is the dreaded "oh crap, I loaded a scene with all sorts of people and props and then changed my mind and closed studio and absent mindedly said yes to saving current scene (ie  as my default scene).  Now it will take 20 minutes to load next time I start Studio".