Octane Render help please

Hello all,

I recently subscribed to Octane Render with the wish of eventually trying to render animations via their cloud render.

I initially tried the trial version of Octane and was able to see images rendering in the viewpoint. Now that I have the "paid" version, I am unable to get an image to render/appear in the OctaneRender Viewport (see attachment).

I've installed according to the directions, to include uninstalling, rebooting and then installing again with no luck. I've studied the manual provide by OTOY and all it does is tell each setting is and what it is for.  I've yet to find a step by step to get out of the gate. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm sure I am missing some important step, but I can't find a guide or figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

Octane clip.PNG
916 x 685 - 161K

Comments

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692

From the screen capture it looks like it's building the geometry. Does it get past that stage or does it hang there? If it does complete loading the geometry and noting happens, is your render paused (I only ask because the new version seemed to install with the render paused as the default, and I was wondering what was going wrong, and started checking all sorts of things, then I realized the pause button was highlighted, clicked the pause button, and magic - it started rendering).

Just as a side note, you might get more responses in the DS plugin forum on Otoy's site. It seems that not many Octane users monitor the forums here (though it can be pretty slow there too).

• yeah sadly I am still on OrDS2! 

I only wish that started paused, I had to create a desktop shortcut to the dll so could add a .bak when I don't want to use it!!!

glad to see they finally fixed that

I love Octane but my Carrara plugin has a completely different user interface so cannot help, don't use DAZ studio much

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,692

yeah sadly I am still on OrDS2! 

I only wish that started paused, I had to create a desktop shortcut to the dll so could add a .bak when I don't want to use it!!!

I love Octane but my Carrara plugin has a completely different user interface so cannot help, don't use DAZ studio much

Yeah, the new version of OR4DS is quite a bit different than the old V2 plugin (and it's quite stable too surprise). I love Octane it's so much easier on the computer and you don't need to worry about the scene size!. But I've gotten lazy about setting up materials, since there is typically only minor tweaking I need to do with Iray. If I was animating like the OP (or always building huge scenes), Octane would be soo much better than Iray!! 

• OZ-84OZ-84 Posts: 128

Normaly it takes time to build geometry. If you are sure you have waited long enough and still nothing is hapenning, close the octane viewport and open it again. Sometimes it does happen octane hangs while building geo. Restarting the viewport does the trick. 

• Vixster said:

Hello all,

I recently subscribed to Octane Render with the wish of eventually trying to render animations via their cloud render.

I initially tried the trial version of Octane and was able to see images rendering in the viewpoint. Now that I have the "paid" version, I am unable to get an image to render/appear in the OctaneRender Viewport (see attachment).

I've installed according to the directions, to include uninstalling, rebooting and then installing again with no luck. I've studied the manual provide by OTOY and all it does is tell each setting is and what it is for.  I've yet to find a step by step to get out of the gate. Can someone point me in the right direction? I'm sure I am missing some important step, but I can't find a guide or figure it out.

Thanks in advance!

Did you get anything figured out?

DustRider said:

yeah sadly I am still on OrDS2! 

Yeah, the new version of OR4DS is quite a bit different than the old V2 plugin (and it's quite stable too surprise). I love Octane it's so much easier on the computer and you don't need to worry about the scene size!. But I've gotten lazy about setting up materials, since there is typically only minor tweaking I need to do with Iray. If I was animating like the OP (or always building huge scenes), Octane would be soo much better than Iray!! 

Do you happen to have any source that you found helpful for setting materials on skin in particular? I have the redspec mats but usually end up just tweaking the autoconverted material from the plugin. I still have alot of issues with hair, even using the respec mats.

• ooofestooofest Posts: 36
    DustRider said:

Do you happen to have any source that you found helpful for setting materials on skin in particular? I have the redspec mats but usually end up just tweaking the autoconverted material from the plugin. I still have alot of issues with hair, even using the respec mats.

For hair with DAZ and Octane, I usually start from the Redspec-enhanced materials (which rely on ideally using 3Delight-based surfaces in DAZ) and then use their documentation hints to tweak for specular highlights (which I usually minimize by increasing the Amount value), gamma effect on SSS (typically lower the value a slight bit to get more translucency) and if the hair had a bump map I will usually utilize their auto-displacement hair material instead of the regular one.

I haven't had issues yet, but maybe I'm less fastidious about the hair rendering?  What hair qualities are not working well for you in Octane, perhaps?