Can someone help me find this outfit...

Hello All,

I am looking for the outfit that is pictured in this posing pack:

https://www.daz3d.com/fallen-goddess-poses-for-lilith-7

The author / artist makes no mention of it.  Could anyone point me in the right direction?  This is the perfect outfit I need for one of my Daz ladies.

Thank you,

Geo

Comments

• jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693

Maybe this one with some modifications:

https://www.daz3d.com/shadow-outfit-for-genesis-3-female-s

Yup, that looks like it, but I can't tell from the description if those modifcations can be done within or if they were done outside.

Thank you.

• I tested here, and you can reduce opacity in some parts to obtain the desired result (justo turn opacity to 0% in the "2_suit2" surface in the Surface tab).

I tested here, and you can reduce opacity in some parts to obtain the desired result (justo turn opacity to 0% in the "2_suit2" surface in the Surface tab).

That is a neat trick!  So can that be done with other seemingly one piece outfits?  I do know that some outfits have "shader zones" and you can change the color, but can you change these zones to clear and make a part see through?

Thanks

• plasma_ringplasma_ring Posts: 1,020

Yep! Anywhere the item has a material zone, you should be able to reduce either its opacity or cutout opacity (depending on which base shader the item is using) to make that bit disappear. I use that a lot when kitbashing outfits or props.

• Any material zone can have the opacity change but you can do a lot more than that. you can apply any shader you want to it. That can let you change the color or material of that zone. 

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,599

You can also used the geometry editor to create a new material zone easily. Just select the polygons you want to be a new material zone and create it.

Yep! Anywhere the item has a material zone, you should be able to reduce either its opacity or cutout opacity (depending on which base shader the item is using) to make that bit disappear. I use that a lot when kitbashing outfits or props.

Sweet!  And what is the exact name of the control?

Any material zone can have the opacity change but you can do a lot more than that. you can apply any shader you want to it. That can let you change the color or material of that zone. 

This I was aware of and I picked up on that when I was using the Multi-Dress System.  With the expansion pack, the clothing is now divided into zones and I can change the color independently.   I just didn't know about making a zone invisible.

You can also used the geometry editor to create a new material zone easily. Just select the polygons you want to be a new material zone and create it.

Oh?  How do I go about using that?   So then I could take a dress that normally has sleeves and I can make my own cut off at the shoulder to make it sleeveless?

Question for all...

Is there a good tutorial on making dresses from scratch? Can this be done in DAZ alone, or do I need another program?

Thanks!

jukingeo said:

Sweet!  And what is the exact name of the control?

Any material zone can have the opacity change but you can do a lot more than that. you can apply any shader you want to it. That can let you change the color or material of that zone. 

This I was aware of and I picked up on that when I was using the Multi-Dress System.  With the expansion pack, the clothing is now divided into zones and I can change the color independently.   I just didn't know about making a zone invisible.

Oh?  How do I go about using that?   So then I could take a dress that normally has sleeves and I can make my own cut off at the shoulder to make it sleeveless?

Question for all...

Is there a good tutorial on making dresses from scratch? Can this be done in DAZ alone, or do I need another program?

Thanks!

For the first part, you can control most aspects of a material zone including opacity in the surfaces section in the surfacing/rendering tab inside DS.

For the second part, make sure the clothing is selected and then select the geometry editor in the tools menu. Then right click the clothing items selected and it will give you a bunch of options. best to load a test item to see what each optins does and to get the hang of using it. Keep in mind it is better to hide a part with opacity rather than deleting it as this will alter the rigging if deleted

As for the last part, creating clothing, especially conforming clothing is not an easy job. You cannot create them in DS, you will need a modeling program such as hexagon, Blender, maya, etc.There are quite a few tutorials on it in the store.

For the second part, make sure the clothing is selected and then select the geometry editor in the tools menu. Then right click the clothing items selected and it will give you a bunch of options. best to load a test item to see what each optins does and to get the hang of using it. Keep in mind it is better to hide a part with opacity rather than deleting it as this will alter the rigging if deleted

Understood about hiding over deleating.  I found the options after selecting the clothing item and selecting the geometry editor.  I found the hide option, but when I actually went to select the area I wanted to 'hide', the tool creates a very pixelated edge.  For example, I used the tank top as my test item and I wanted to create a cutout right in the center. In selecting the polygons in that area, it is a very rough and blocky edge.  Is there a way to fix that up?  You also mentioned that this could be made into a materials zone.  How would I do that?

As for the last part, creating clothing, especially conforming clothing is not an easy job. You cannot create them in DS, you will need a modeling program such as hexagon, Blender, maya, etc.There are quite a few tutorials on it in the store.

So it is THAT difficult?   I have seen something in terms of tutorials in the Daz store:

https://www.daz3d.com/submerged-inside-hexagon-and-daz-studio--part-3-modeling-the-dress

I do have Hexigon with Daz and I normally run Ubuntu Studio on my machine and Blender came with that.

Thanks

Geo

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,142
    jukingeo said:

So it is THAT difficult?   I have seen something in terms of tutorials in the Daz store:

https://www.daz3d.com/submerged-inside-hexagon-and-daz-studio--part-3-modeling-the-dress

I do have Hexigon with Daz and I normally run Ubuntu Studio on my machine and Blender came with that.

Thanks

Geo

It depends on your definition of difficult...lol. I've made clothes from scratch before. I didn't find it all THAT difficult, but I'd done 3D modeling previously for a couple years. Learning to model can take some time, so be prepared for that. If you already know how, then you're far ahead of the game.

Laurie

jukingeo said:

Understood about hiding over deleating.  I found the options after selecting the clothing item and selecting the geometry editor.  I found the hide option, but when I actually went to select the area I wanted to 'hide', the tool creates a very pixelated edge.  For example, I used the tank top as my test item and I wanted to create a cutout right in the center. In selecting the polygons in that area, it is a very rough and blocky edge.  Is there a way to fix that up?  You also mentioned that this could be made into a materials zone.  How would I do that?

the line edges will depend on the modeling and how clean it was because it uses the polygons to define the area. To create a new material zone I have attached an image that shows where to go and what to do.

jukingeo said:

Thanks

Geo

Any modeling app can make clothing, but the rigging will have to be done inside Daz Studio. You can get basic rigging done with the transfer tool, but for quality rigging you will have to adjust things by hand which is a bit more detailed

geometryeditor.jpg
    657 x 747 - 325K
    jukingeo said:

the line edges will depend on the modeling and how clean it was because it uses the polygons to define the area. To create a new material zone I have attached an image that shows where to go and what to do.

That is what I was getting at, see in your attachment how the line edges are not pixelated and they are defined?  How would I do that?

jukingeo said:

Thanks

Geo

Any modeling app can make clothing, but the rigging will have to be done inside Daz Studio. You can get basic rigging done with the transfer tool, but for quality rigging you will have to adjust things by hand which is a bit more detailed

I see.  But for the clothing creation would it be better off with Hexagon or Blender?  I have tried to use Blender in the past and it is a difficult program to learn, is Hexagon easier?

Thanks,

Geo

jukingeo said:
    jukingeo said:

That is what I was getting at, see in your attachment how the line edges are not pixelated and they are defined?  How would I do that?

jukingeo said:

Thanks

Geo

I see.  But for the clothing creation would it be better off with Hexagon or Blender?  I have tried to use Blender in the past and it is a difficult program to learn, is Hexagon easier?

Thanks,

Geo

There is nothing you can do about the edges, it all has to do with the actual mesh. If it is an outfit that was autofitted then the mesh might be distorted and cause these types or issues, but either way you can't change it.

As for clothing creation, all modeling apps have a learning curve, some more than others. You just need to try them out  and see which works the best for you. None of them are "easy". I spent 5 months learning 3DSMax and have been using it for years and I still only know about half of what the program can do, but the UI makes sense to me and it gets the job done for me...

AllenArt said:
    jukingeo said:

Thanks

Geo

It depends on your definition of difficult...lol. I've made clothes from scratch before. I didn't find it all THAT difficult, but I'd done 3D modeling previously for a couple years. Learning to model can take some time, so be prepared for that. If you already know how, then you're far ahead of the game.

Laurie

Hi Laurie

Sorry, missed your message there.  No I am new to digital art in general. I have drawn clothing before by hand, but I am far from what one would consider an artist.  Da z was my first real attempt at 3d art and I am new here too only getting Da z this past December .