The Clinic - How to Light this Set?

https://www.daz3d.com/clinic

I picked this up back in November and just started playing with it and I cannot figure out how to get enough light in the interior so I can see what I'm doing! (Much less build a scene.) The main problem* seems to be that the Clinic (room) is a BOX. A completely enclosed box--floor, ceiling 4 walls--and it's a prop, so no way to hide any of them. There are some LED lights in the room but none of them are bright enough. (The second image has the emissivity settings for one, units are in cd/m^2) There are no other included lights. I have been turning the camera headlamps (7 in the set) off.

So where do I go from here with lighting? I have one of iRadiance's sets (the Christmas freebie). I guess I need to remove a wall, but have never tried editing geometry before and don't know where/how to start with that to be honest. (Although I am going to experiment with it this weekend)

*aside from my limited lighting know-how

clinic 2 box.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 181K
clinic 1 emmissivity.jpg
1920 x 1080 - 342K

Comments

• Does it look ok in the render for you, and this is just an issue with the preview? An HDRI like that would seem, to me, mostly pointless in an indoor environment with no windows. The default loaded presets render with lighting I would expect for me, with how all the emissive settings load. For an interior environment, rendering in iray, I would generally expect the scene to be lit with geometry with emissive settings on, or possibly some DAZ Studio lights in the scene (though less common in sets I have had).

For previews, I would turn the headlamp on (and remember to turn it off for render), or set the view mode to something like Hidden Line so you are just looking at the geometry, without the lighting influencing it. If you want to see it with how the scene light influences it you would need to use nvidia preview mode, but I believe you would need to do that with HDRI lighting anyway?

If your scene is coming out too dark, could you include screenshots of your render settings, the Environment tab and the Tone Mapping tab? Top section of each of those should do for a start.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,566

Not sure i see the issue other than the walls being a box. Mine is plenty bright enough to do what I need inside and it comes prelit except for the outside light. If you need to hide a wall or the ceiling, go to tools - geometry editor. Then clikc the ceiling and then go to geometry visability and hide that polygon. Then do it again for the polygon under it and no more ceiling. Then do the same for the wall and you then have an open box until you save it, as any hidden polygons come back after you save and reopen.

walls.jpg
    1145 x 833 - 541K
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    edited February 2019

I have this set as well, and it seems to be lit perfectly well to me. Below all I did was select camera 7 and hit render. I adjusted the ISO down to 75, because to me the scene was a bit too light. Note that a lot of the light is coming from the headlamp of the camera, which is switched on if you select scene only lights like I did. However with the headlamp off the scene was still bright enough, but would take longer to render.

If you can not see anything whilst posing, then make sure the scene lights are on. Just press Ctrl-L to do this.

EDIT: I may have spotted the problem with posing. I noticed that the headlamp intensity is 0 for all cameras except number 7. This is a bad idea as when you look through the camera it will appear almost black. You should set the intensity back to 1, but leave the headlamp off if you do not want to use it for rendering.

Clinic.jpg
    1370 x 881 - 202K
    Post edited by Havos on
  • Thank you both! Sorry I didn't check back sooner.

I can't believe I didn't think to try a render! But I think the tips from your 2 posts will solve the problem. Will be doing some more work on it tomorrow afternoon and will report back.

• edited February 2019

Just started rendering, but it looks like turning on the scene lights & changing the Headlamp Intensity settings to 1 for cameras 1-6 did the trick. I did turn off the headlamp for Camera 7 before I rendered through it. I didn't change any of the settings. I may remove a wall or ceiling if I decide I don't like any of the camera presets--or want to replace the window/door wall with just a plane. I will edit to add the image once it finishes rendering.

EDIT: added test render. Now to actually do my scene.

clinic1.jpg
    556 x 444 - 165K
    Post edited by miladyderyni_173d399f47 on