Max3Ds OBJ's (vray rendered) in Daz3D?

Sites like turbosquid sell a bunch of 3d models in the obj format, which I know daz3d can handle no problem. But almost all of these objects are done for the vray render. Would importing such an object be a hassle? Would they work out of the box OK in iray, just like 3dlight does? Or is it really hard to convert the materials?

Comments

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,772

Hi, you will have to completely replace the materials with Daz 3DL or DAZ IRay
    materials if the ones  on the models were in Vray native format.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601
    mx90209 said:

Sites like turbosquid sell a bunch of 3d models in the obj format, which I know daz3d can handle no problem. But almost all of these objects are done for the vray render. Would importing such an object be a hassle? Would they work out of the box OK in iray, just like 3dlight does? Or is it really hard to convert the materials?

If it has actual textures, then it's not hard to get them to work in DS, but as Wolf pointed out, if they use Vray shaders/materials, then these do not translate to Iray and you will need to apply Iray shaders instead. usually not a big deal as DS comes with a few basic Iray shaders and there are a ton youi can buy in the store and they apply with a click..

• mx90209mx90209 Posts: 69

Would texture maps at least work out of the box? Normals? Bumps? Or would it be literally start from scratch? Do you know anywhere where there might be such obj's for vray as freebies so I could download to try out, to see how hard it is?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,601
    mx90209 said:

Would texture maps at least work out of the box? Normals? Bumps? Or would it be literally start from scratch? Do you know anywhere where there might be such obj's for vray as freebies so I could download to try out, to see how hard it is?

You may have to reapply them to the model, but they usually work fine in other renderers. Any time you use Daz content in another renderer/app there is going to be more work involved.

• Singular3DSingular3D Posts: 505

You may need to invert bump maps. There might as well be an issue with the normal map. You will have to invert the green channel.