Finding the assets with missing materials files

Hi all,

I'm doing some asset recovery work across multiple programs and in the process, assets end up in D|S with some textures in non-standard (ie /runtime/textures/) libraries.  I manually copy the textures into /runtime/textures/ and then work through the surfaces tab to re-assign the maps (typically diffuse and bump/displacement) to their new, more orthodox home.  But sometimes, I don't get it all right and on the next load of the scene I get the missing files messages.

All that is good as, if they are the textures I wanted, I can located them, save and all is fixed.

But if for some reason, I no longer want to use a missing texture (in fact was not expecting it to be needed), and if I skip locating it, I'm not aware of any way to easily locate which object had the redundant texture (ie other than by trawling through all the surfaces of all the objects).  Is there any way to quickly find which objects use a particular texture map if you know the map name?

Cheers, Lx

Comments

• Fastest method would be to edit the duf file with notepad++.
  • stitlownstitlown Posts: 278

Nice one. Never thought of that.  Had to work out first I had compressed files but, that done, I have 971 .jpg references and 7 .png references to explore.

Thanks

edited February 2019

A useful NPP workflow was:

1. search on "url" + "find all in current document"
    2. Open find window F7 (1,214 hits in my file)
    3. Copy the entire window contents (except the first line)
    4. Import text into excel with delimiters "space" and ":"
    5. Delete away unwanted columns (eg the line number, "URL" etc.)
    6. Data / remove duplicates
    7. Data / sort

In all the legit stuff, this gave me 3 redundant references and the map file names.

Going back into the .duf file in NPP you can find the underlying object id / name / label etc.

Post edited by stitlown on

But that only gets me so far.  I managed to find 2 of the three maverick maps' object in the Studio GUI - but the otherhas proved totally elusive.

Is there anyway to select an object by the .duf id?  ... eg

"id" : "inscription-3",
                    "url" : "#inscription-1",
                    "geometry" : "#geometry-102",
                    "groups" : [ "inscription" ]

What turns up in the GUI scene tab / node sub-tab is related to this .duf information but not identical.

• Glad it helped. The reference you're showing looks like the "Material' definition section of the duf. You'll need to finds the 'Nodes' section. If you search for the 'Geometry' name, geometry-102 in your example,you should find a URL for Data in the search results. Double click that line in the results box, it should take you to that data reference. Above that reference, depending on item complexity, you should have a reference section offset to the left, there will be a 'Label' in that upper section that is what the object is named in the scene. Thus is one of the weird things in studio where names in files don't equal names in scene. You'll find it in almost everything, morph dials are the most fun. I'll swing back by later to see if that helped

Thanks DMP - I'm sure it will.