Geoshell and material zones

davesodaveso Posts: 6,443
edited January 2019 in The Commons

I think the area highlighted in the image is a material zone? Is this the same as UV 

If I create a geoshell of this figure, the material zones, or whatever they are, are in the exact same place. If I wanted to create a body suit, or even a different layered textrue, I have to follow that layout. I don't want a hood for example, but edged at the neckline ... 

How can I do that?

material zone.jpg
468 x 815 - 211K
Post edited by daveso on

Comments

• What you have highligthed there is the Torso Surface or call it material zone if you want but its nowhere in DS called this way. The term material zone comes from Hexagon I think.

Due to the UV layout the Torso Surface got its own texture maps and its a single UV island but the Surface Group is not necessarily tied to an single UV island.

For the body suit on the GeoShell you will need an opacity map that is a black and white image to define where to show (white) and where to hide (black) the GeoShell.

If you want a neckline you could possible paint one in with an image editor and a texture template for the figure. I would first paint the opacity map then the color map. If you want to cover some part of the arms and the legs you will need seperate opacity maps for these surfaces.

Here is a website to download texture templates for daz figures.

https://www.snowsultan.com/seam-guides/

• TZORGTZORG Posts: 148

Material zone is from Poser surely? In Hexagon it's a shading domain.

What happens if you unparent the geometry shell, make it selectable (in the Scene tab) and then use the geometry editor to move polys to different groups...

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,443

What you have highligthed there is the Torso Surface or call it material zone if you want but its nowhere in DS called this way. The term material zone comes from Hexagon I think.

Due to the UV layout the Torso Surface got its own texture maps and its a single UV island but the Surface Group is not necessarily tied to an single UV island.

For the body suit on the GeoShell you will need an opacity map that is a black and white image to define where to show (white) and where to hide (black) the GeoShell.

If you want a neckline you could possible paint one in with an image editor and a texture template for the figure. I would first paint the opacity map then the color map. If you want to cover some part of the arms and the legs you will need seperate opacity maps for these surfaces.

Here is a website to download texture templates for daz figures.

https://www.snowsultan.com/seam-guides/

thanks..will check this out

TZORG said:

Material zone is from Poser surely? In Hexagon it's a shading domain.

What happens if you unparent the geometry shell, make it selectable (in the Scene tab) and then use the geometry editor to move polys to different groups...

thanks..i will see about this..have not really tried much as I'm rookie to all this manipulation and do not have the knowledge about 3d modeling etc. i'm pretty much push button art guy ... but am trying to expand my skills. 

• TZORGTZORG Posts: 148
    edited January 2019

Actually I don't think my method works... Messing with it it seems the shell doesn't really have independent zones. But it seems like you can export the geoshell as .obj and reload it as though you modeled it and it's going to be an outfit. Then I think you can create your own zones.... and use the transfer utility to make an outfit.

edit: OR if it's easier to edit the surfaces of the human figure you could do that, seems like the geoshell surfaces can save out with the .obj. (Of course, don't use the modified human, throw it out and use your own character. It won't matter once the geoshell is converted to clothes)

Post edited by TZORG on
  • Here is another thread dealing with this subject: Trying to create bodysuit clothing using a push-modified G8F as basis, but there's pokethrough! Why?

Exporting the GeoShell and making it an independent clothing mesh defeats the purpose and concept of a GeoShell. If it helps you createing clothes thats fine for me but I'm concerned about licencing if your cloth includes parts of the original genesis figure mesh. I guess then its for private useage only and can't be selled as a commercial product.

As I understand it the GeoShell is less recource intensive and is meant as another layer for a figure or item where you can throw not just other textures but different shader setting onto.

I mean you can also use the Layered Image Editor on the figure Torso Surface and add the texture and the opacity map as a mask. But then you don't have the benefit of the GeoShell Offset and you can't apply a different shader to the bodysuit.

I got concerned that my suggestion may not work as described, because frankly I rarly use GeoShells. So I took the time and tested this method to proof that it works.

I hope that the sceenshots can help you. I've used Photoshop but this should be possible with any other image editor that support layers.

I've added a guide line in the middle to mirror the mask. Then I've selected the neck line on the back with the magnetic line selection tool that follows the edges of the mesh. As you can see in the front the neck line doesn't follow the edge flow of the mesh. Next the mask got mirrored horizontaly along the guide line. I had to paint a second version becaues I forgot the front area at first. Finaly I've also added the texture template to the diffuse channel so you can see why there is a slightly missmatch at the seam along the shoulder where the front and the back of the UV come together in the test render.

In conclusion I would say its possible to do it this way in 2D but it's not very accurate because the textrues you paint would not match at the seams.

If you want to get good results without seams showing up in the textures there is no better way than to use a 3D software that is capable of painting textures directly on the figure in 3D.

G3M_GeoShell_BodySuit_TestRender_001.png
    2048 x 1024 - 2M
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_001.png
    1920 x 1044 - 337K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_002.png
    1920 x 1044 - 734K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_003.png
    1920 x 1044 - 516K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_004.png
    1920 x 1044 - 641K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_005.png
    1920 x 1044 - 720K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_006.png
    1920 x 1044 - 721K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_007.png
    1920 x 1044 - 604K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_008.png
    1920 x 1044 - 304K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_009.png
    1920 x 1044 - 302K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_010.png
    1920 x 1044 - 648K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_011.png
    1920 x 1044 - 583K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_012.png
    1920 x 1044 - 579K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_013.png
    1920 x 1044 - 130K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_014.png
    1920 x 1044 - 682K
    G3M_GeoShell-BodySuit_015.png
    1920 x 1044 - 1M

Here is another thread dealing with this subject: Trying to create bodysuit clothing using a push-modified G8F as basis, but there's pokethrough! Why?

Exporting the GeoShell and making it an independent clothing mesh defeats the purpose and concept of a GeoShell. If it helps you createing clothes thats fine for me but I'm concerned about licencing if your cloth includes parts of the original genesis figure mesh. I guess then its for private useage only and can't be selled as a commercial product.

As I understand it the GeoShell is less recource intensive and is meant as another layer for a figure or item where you can throw not just other textures but different shader setting onto.

I mean you can also use the Layered Image Editor on the figure Torso Surface and add the texture and the opacity map as a mask. But then you don't have the benefit of the GeoShell Offset and you can't apply a different shader to the bodysuit.

I got concerned that my suggestion may not work as described, because frankly I rarly use GeoShells. So I took the time and tested this method to proof that it works.

I hope that the sceenshots can help you. I've used Photoshop but this should be possible with any other image editor that support layers.

I've added a guide line in the middle to mirror the mask. Then I've selected the neck line on the back with the magnetic line selection tool that follows the edges of the mesh. As you can see in the front the neck line doesn't follow the edge flow of the mesh. Next the mask got mirrored horizontaly along the guide line. I had to paint a second version becaues I forgot the front area at first. Finaly I've also added the texture template to the diffuse channel so you can see why there is a slightly missmatch at the seam along the shoulder where the front and the back of the UV come together in the test render.

In conclusion I would say its possible to do it this way in 2D but it's not very accurate because the textrues you paint would not match at the seams.

If you want to get good results without seams showing up in the textures there is no better way than to use a 3D software that is capable of painting textures directly on the figure in 3D.

thank yoiu.. a lot of work here...i will go through it

• Been looking for something like this, thanks.