Saving a hand pose

This ought to be straightforward, but it has me tearing my hair.  And I can see by past threads it has flummoxed others, too.  I am trying save ONLY a hand pose.  No matter what I try, I can get only two results: 1. Nothing happens at all.  2. I get the entire figure pose.  I have tried various versions of the check-box tree in the "Save as Pose Preset" dialog, but nothing seems to work. Previous threads show checkbox trees to follow, but they don't match the current version (4.9)  Some instructions mention unchecking a "check only changed" box, but I can't find it.  This ought to be so easy — select the hand pose and save it.  But it is maddeningly hard.  Any help, please?

Comments

• Did you use the bones of the hand directly, or some of the poses controls on the figure too/instead?

• For hands posed using the bones and/or the pose controls on the hand in the options dialogue

1. clear the check box next to the figure name - this deselects everything
    2. use the triangles to expand the branches until you see both hands
    3. click the check box next to the hands (this selects them and all their children)
    4. click Accept

If you used pose controls on the figure node you would also want the Pose Controls section immediately under the figure name, expand to show the gorups and check the one for Hands.

• OK, that worked!  Thanks!  I was checking the box next to the figure name, and this was giving me a different set of choices entirely.  (To answer your question above, I was using a full-figure pose preset.)