Moving around huge environments

Hello All,

I am new to Daz Studio having signed up in December.   Recently I purchased the Medieval Lands environment:

https://www.daz3d.com/medieval-lands

I have discovered that this environment is HUGE!  At first when I saw the picture and it showed the middle area as "Preload More Details."

https://www.daz3d.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/m/e/medieval-lands-12-daz3d.jpg

I figured my character would be confined to that area.   However this is NOT the case.  It appears that everything on that map can be visited.  However, everything is at such a great distance from each other that it takes a LONG time for me to move to an area and also to bring a character over to an area.   I am curious if there are settings that can be changed so I could cover more ground in a quicker manner.

Thank you,

Geo

Comments

• Yes, this scene is completely three-dimensional and large.

I want to clarify that objects that are at a great distance (trees, a castle) are lowpoly objects and will not look good if the camera is close.

To move quickly, I recommend covering the whole territory in one screen in a top view, and putting cameras where it is being trumpeted.

• jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693

Yes, this scene is completely three-dimensional and large.

I want to clarify that objects that are at a great distance (trees, a castle) are lowpoly objects and will not look good if the camera is close.

To move quickly, I recommend covering the whole territory in one screen in a top view, and putting cameras where it is being trumpeted.

Thank you for that info, but how about moving characters?  Can that be done in a similar fashion?

BTW, Great job on this, it is a beautiful setting with many photo opp points.   It is a little hard on my computer and renders take a while, but I guess that is to be expected with something this size.  Do you plan to make a winter overlay for this as this would  look incredible with a dusting of snow on it?

Geo

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,610
    jukingeo said:

Yes, this scene is completely three-dimensional and large.

Thank you for that info, but how about moving characters?  Can that be done in a similar fashion?

BTW, Great job on this, it is a beautiful setting with many photo opp points.   It is a little hard on my computer and renders take a while, but I guess that is to be expected with something this size.  Do you plan to make a winter overlay for this as this would  look incredible with a dusting of snow on it?

Geo

I like to leave the character in place at 0,0. 
    Group the entire scenery set.  Make sure you group the cameras and lights with the set, but not the character.
    then using the top view, I rotate and move it to match how I want the background behind the character to be

some pose set will reset the character position to 0,0 so it's easier to just leave it there to begin with and adjust the background.

• Lyoness, interesting decision! yes

Jukingeo, in the top view, the viewing angle of the camera is clearly visible. You can move the character to this camera space in the top view, then switch to camera view and set the character more accurately.

• jukingeojukingeo Posts: 693
    Lyoness said:

I like to leave the character in place at 0,0. 
    Group the entire scenery set.  Make sure you group the cameras and lights with the set, but not the character.
    then using the top view, I rotate and move it to match how I want the background behind the character to be

some pose set will reset the character position to 0,0 so it's easier to just leave it there to begin with and adjust the background.

That is an interesting way of doing it as I TRIED to move the character manuallly as I wanted to position her where the windmills are and seemed to take forever to move to just half the distance.  I didn't think about the top down perspective.  Worse, I have moved entire sets before.  I guess I didn't try it with this one because it was so big.  But if that works fine and is much faster, Iam definitely going to give it a shot.  BTW, do you have some rendering tips in that I could render a bit quicker?  I have noticed my render times with this environment shot up quite a bit.   I just really like the way this environment looks and as I mentioned above it is chock full of photo opps.   I know that Andrey said most of the outlying textures are low-res, but I tried a render and it still looks good even up close.  But I have noticed that doors are not to scale, but that is fine.   Having a somewhat close up shot WILL work, at least in the windmill area.  I have not tried the castle or the tower yet, but given the info you provided I am certainly going to explore around this environment more.

Lyoness, interesting decision! yes

Jukingeo, in the top view, the viewing angle of the camera is clearly visible. You can move the character to this camera space in the top view, then switch to camera view and set the character more accurately.

This would work too provided there is a faster way to move the character.    But from the sound of it, I think Lyoness' might be faster.  I am not sure how my computer will handle moving such a large environment.  But as she pointed out, I have done smaller environments that way already.   But for the most part, an environment is usually centered around the main photographing area anyway.   So I just mostly rotate it around to position it.   This would be the first time where I would want to move a character (or environment) such a great distance.  

BTW, as I said above, if you ever do a winter version of this with the river frozen over and such, I would definitely get it.  This is a beautiful environment and I hope to see more like this from you in the future.

Thanks!

Geo