any news on the hd plugin?? :D

Comments

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited April 2019

Beta version of the HD Morph plugin is now available for testing in the CTS projet file repository. At this stage, it's only for Windows. I plan to work on the OSX version next week.

Here is a short tutorial on how to import Hd details from Studio into Carrara:

1. Load your figure in Studio
    2. In the parameter tab, set the subdivision level to a value compatible with the hd setting (AFAIK 2 is the most common).
      Set subdivision level in Studio
    3. Export figure in obj format with Carrara preset.
      Export from Studio to Carrara
    4. In Carrara, import the obj. Make sure to untick "AutoPosition" and tick "Disable auto scaling" and set "obj unit equal to" 1
      Import in Carrara
    5. load the figure in Carrara. If it's a conforming cloth, DO NOT conform it yet.
      Load figure in Carrara
      Both meshes are loaded
    6. On the actor level of the figure, make sure BOTH modeling and rendering levels are set to the same value set in step 2
      Set levels in Carrara
    7. Still on the actor object, go to the "modifier" tab and choose "HD Morph"
      Choose modifier
    8. Click on "choose target"
      Click on choose target
    9. in the window that appears, choose your imported object
      Choose object
    10. You're done, HD morphs are added
      Done!!
    11. You can now delete the imported obj mesh, as it's not needed anymore.

Tomorrow, I'll try to setup another tutorial on how to create your very own hd morph straight in Carrara.

Studio subdivision.JPG
    372 x 173 - 21K
    Studio export.JPG
    458 x 508 - 46K
    Carrara import.JPG
    404 x 525 - 36K
    Carrara load.JPG
    643 x 170 - 33K
    Carrara both loaded.JPG
    1035 x 416 - 44K
    Carrara set level.JPG
    245 x 477 - 31K
    Carrara set modifier.jpg
    256 x 741 - 101K
    Carrara choose target 1.JPG
    230 x 148 - 12K
    Carrara choose target 2.JPG
    262 x 419 - 18K
    Carrara morph applied.JPG
    1137 x 438 - 50K
    Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,713

heart

edited April 2019

Oh awesome Philemo it works indeed yes

tried RawArts deep sea creature for Genesis and he has all his spikey horns

rendering a quick animation

deep0004.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 819K
    Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Happy to see it works for you also. I'm eager to see your animation. 

Oh awesome Philemo it works indeed yes

tried RawArts deep sea creature for Genesis and he has all his spikey horns

rendering a quick animation

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,531
    edited April 2019

Woohoo, works well - many thank-yous !!! Mervin the Alien HD for Genesis 8 Male - https://www.daz3d.com/mervin-the-alien-hd-for-genesis-8-male

Mervin HD 1.png
    2266 x 2074 - 1M
    Mervin HD 2.png
    2265 x 1042 - 986K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,531
    edited April 2019

Another trial - Orc HD for Genesis 8 Male - https://www.daz3d.com/orc-hd-for-genesis-8-male

Orc HD 1.png
    2250 x 2056 - 1M
    Orc HD 2.png
    2269 x 1044 - 1M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • johranshadijohranshadi Posts: 134

Another trial - Orc HD for Genesis 8 Male - https://www.daz3d.com/orc-hd-for-genesis-8-male

How did you get Genesis 8 to work in Carrara?
  • Thank you Bunyip,

It looks very impressive. I have 2 questions:

• How is Carrara responding with a level 3 subdivision?
    • Have you tried to pose it? The test I did were OK, but I didn't have a figure so detailled and I'm curious how the HD morph is reacting?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

happy joys!!

and I stuck at work.  has to wait hours before i can try. 

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,106
    3drendero said:
    Also have two "HD" characters from other PAs, but no idea if the mesh is HD or maybe just the textures. Guess I have to count the triangles in DS and Carrara. https://www.daz3d.com/fwsa-tempie-hd-for-victoria-6 https://www.daz3d.com/lyfw-adrienne-hd-for-victoria-6

The HD morphs work via morphs and the level of subD, so it could, in theory, be made for anything. But when you get a Daz3d HD addon, it likely include both HD morphs (draws MUCH higher detail onto the actual mesh itself) as well as HD textures.

In Carrara, we might see a little change if we dial up an HD morph, but according to Daz3d, it still isn't compatible. The thing is, for it to really work, we'd also need to increase the subD smoothing level to the necessary level - like from 2 to 3 or 4, for example. But HD textures (like HD Normal Map, for example) will work just fine, if included. But the thing about HD morphs is that they often don't need HD normal maps since the mesh is refined to such a minute detail level - hence its truly magnificent breakthrough - all starting from the first generation Genesis figure technology of using a subD shell.

In Carrara, we can make HD morphs for any mesh. We simply increase the subD level and sculpt or model detail into the new micro levels, making the GoZ for Carrara plugin a real piece of magic for those whom might have Zbrush. Of course, those refinements would have to stay in Carrara unless we're a PA with the granted use of the plugin that allows us to bring these details into Daz Studio to add to an existing figure.

this is the Genesis 1 Deep sea Creature one of the earliest HD characters dancing

still trying to import a level 4 mesh G8M its a damn big obj 800K+

Thank you Bunyip,

It looks very impressive. I have 2 questions:

• How is Carrara responding with a level 3 subdivision?
    • Have you tried to pose it? The test I did were OK, but I didn't have a figure so detailled and I'm curious how the HD morph is reacting?

I have a sneaky suspicion that it works in Carrara much better than using displacement maps for sure!

People - I know it might be tempting to crank up the subD smoothing even higher. Before doing so, start task manager and prepare yourself to manually kill Carrara if it locks up tight! SubD smoothing of 2 is a very highly detailed mesh on Genesis (1-8) figures and, for each of those tiny new subD polygons, a level of subD 3 further cuts each of those into four and then applies its smoothing algorithm. Just saying... use levels highers than 2 only for those close-ups where you really, really need it!

edited April 2019

Holy cow Philemo, this is amazing! Brilliant and much needed plugin for Carrara to be able to use a LOT of Daz content to its highest degree! Bravo!

It's amazing how many Genesis 2 character products include HD morphs - I know I have quite a few, as I had a lot of fun collecting for experimentation back when I was a PA. 

Thank You!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • 3drendero said:

In Carrara, we can make HD morphs for any mesh. We simply increase the subD level and sculpt or model detail into the new micro levels, making the GoZ for Carrara plugin a real piece of magic for those whom might have Zbrush. Of course, those refinements would have to stay in Carrara unless we're a PA with the granted use of the plugin that allows us to bring these details into Daz Studio to add to an existing figure.

I have to try that. You make me feel like I'v spent 1 month reinventing something already in Carraracrying

•  

I have a sneaky suspicion that it works in Carrara much better than using displacement maps for sure!

Have you tried the Phong Tessallation plugin. Using it at half pixel precision, you have results comparable to HD Morphs

3drendero said:

I have to try that. You make me feel like I'v spent 1 month reinventing something already in Carraracrying

No. I'm sorry. The best means I would have for that (on figures) would be Carrara's displacement modeling feature, since I don't have Zbrush, and don't feel skilled enough to manually model such High Definition detail.

I was always meaning to try it, but my desire to learn was in an entirely different direction.

Have you tried the Phong Tessallation plugin. Using it at half pixel precision, you have results comparable to HD Morphs

I saw it, read on it, and downloaded it, but haven't yet tried it. Now I have to build/buy a new computer before any of this will work for me :(

now i hazta start my new bookcovers all over again with gianni6 hd

so, i can higher subd millenium dragon and not break his morphs?  

the genesiseses use both hd morph and tiff displacements. resource hogs.

Just some fun background info -

The process of Normal Mapping is what really allowed artists to bring their Zbrush (or MudBox, 3D Coat, etc.,) high def creations to the real time render engines (for gaming, mostly) without bogging everything down. It's a helluva process, but so worth it in the end. That's when 3D games started looking much more Real!

Gaining the ability to use Normal Maps in Carrara was first introduced via plugins by Inagoni and DCG - and added internally in Carrara 8 or 8.5 and really upped the game for getting higher-end micro-detail renders. The above link does a much better job of explaining Normal Mapping but in short, a highly detailed mesh is remodeled into a very low density mesh, to which the surface details of the high density mesh are mapped via a color code that allows an algorithm in the render engine to quickly 'fake' the appearance of the high density mesh while actually using the low one. 

This never actually adds polygons to the low density mesh, but allows for the data acquired from the baked Normal Map to intervene with lighting in such a way as to make the whole thing work as if it actually did.

Subdivision Surface Modeling takes this all a step further by actually allowing (and alternatively dis-allowing) the use of actual higher levels of details in the actual mesh. Since the higher level details are modeled at certain levels of subdivision, we can lower the subdivision level to remove those details - either from our working view, the render, or both. Of course we'd never work in a level higher than we'll be rendering at, so most software won't even allow us to set the working view higher than the render level. 

That being said, when setting up our scenes in Carrara, we may set the render level to the high density we need in our final output, but completely turn off SubD Smoothing in our working view, which truly speeds up our ability to work fluidly within the scene. This alone makes for a HUGE difference between working with levels of SubD compared to working with Displacement. HUGE! 

Lucky for us Daz3d users, Daz 3D has adopted this technology right from its beginning. Genesis 1 was the initial Daz 3D SubD cage technology, and Daz Studio 4 was the software that could read it and make it work. Since they followed the technology properly, this tech is easily transported into software other than Daz Studio. In other words, they didn't choose to use some kind of proprietory tech that only work in Studio, for example. But since Genesis X and Studio grew with one another, they work beautifully within their designed platform.

Lucky for us Carrara users, Daz 3D was able to write this tech also into an update for Carrara - Carrara 8.5! 

I find it truly amazing how well Genesis 1 (using virtually any of its shapes) renders without any SubD at all, making this a great way to get several characters into larger scenes.

edited April 2019

don't try subdivision 3 folks

well you can but it's not pretty animated or using Mimic

disrupter0002.png
    1920 x 1080 - 499K
    disrupter0009.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    no mimic0029.png
    1920 x 1080 - 565K
    no mimic0046.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M

I am animating it to see what happens

Back when I was a PA, we required a special plugin to bring HD details onto Genesis figures in DS. Not sure if that's still true or not.

But this plugin works in the same way, but in reverse - going from DS into Carrara. So if anyone wants to try, go ahead and sculpt finer details into a Genesis figure in Carrara, and export that as a morph mesh and see if it loads onto the figure in DS.

Making HD morphs isn't in my interest range - yet. But using DS HD morphs is!

Philemo... I Love You, Man!!! 

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    3drendero said:

Zbrush costs 900 US$. You can get other high end 3D authoring packages at that budget, like Lightwave 3D or Bodypaint 3D with sculpting features. But it is way out most hobbyists league...
  • Wendy,

I had this kind of results when subdivision levels in Carrara (either modelling or rendering) is different from the one set in Studio during the export. 

Is it the case here ? 

• 3drendero said:
    3drendero said:

Zbrush costs 900 US$. You can get other high end 3D authoring packages at that budget, like Lightwave 3D or Bodypaint 3D with sculpting features. But it is way out most hobbyists league...

I agree with that. My remark was about sculpting in Carrara with subdivision set.

edited April 2019

Wendy,

I had this kind of results when subdivision levels in Carrara (either modelling or rendering) is different from the one set in Studio during the export. 

Is it the case here ? 

well actually bumping it up to 5 seemed to fix it in Carrara, used all my RAM and crashed Octane devil

I will export it the default load which was 2 modeling 4 rendering I had put both to 3 in studio

Wendy,

Is it the case here ? 

well actually bumping it up to 5 seemed to fix it in Carrara, used all my RAM and crashed Octane devil

I will export it the default load which was 2 modeling 4 rendering I had put both to 3 in studio

poser used to do that to ngons.  but carrara is okay with ngons. 

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited April 2019

Wendy,

Is it the case here ? 

I will export it the default load which was 2 modeling 4 rendering I had put both to 3 in Studio

I suppose you have already tried both 3 in Carrara. If I understand correctly, it was animating correctly with level 2 everywhere and it went very wrong with level 3 everywhere.

I will do some more tests at that SubD level.

The problem is that it won't be with that figure.

Post edited by Philemo_Carrara on