any tips for making Iray renders/animations faster?

2»

Comments

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited January 2019
    wolf359 said:

Actually Daz studio is Not  very well suited for serious post
    compositing IMHO. 
    For example I find no way in Daz studio(3DL or Iray) to have
    a background object invisible in the render camera
    yet visible on the reflective surface of some single object that
    is being rendered in its  own pass.

Have you tried light path expressions and DAZ Iray 'canvases'? Incredibly powerful. Even stuff like adjusting individual light color and intensity contributions (by setting up the appropriate render passes/canvases) in realtime in post rather than having to tweak and re-render in Studio saves tons of time. (see attached GIF of adjusting a spotlight intensity in real time in an already-rendered image).

There's tons of stuff that you can do in postwork that might never occur to you (and I'm not addressing any one person in particular, just people in general). As far as your reflections issue, I'm sure there's a light path expression that will do what you want. 

Once you try compositing and post work you'll never go back laugh

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • jake_fjake_f Posts: 226

Thanks again Sven.   Been meaning to learn opengl and your post encouraged me to go ahead and do it.  Got it.   Also learned how to change background color of render.   Now I won't have to put render in quotes in my posts.  :-)

• You can always render it out as a lower res like 720x486, then put it into after effects and use the detail preserving upscale effect and scale it up to 1920x1080. I can't tell the difference when I use it and it saves days worth of rendering. I just did a shot the other day that one frame at 1920x1080 was taking me about 30 minutes for one frame to render, so I was easily looking at five or six days of rendering, I tried this method and got all 300 or so frames done in a day.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,772
    edited January 2019

Have you tried light path expressions and DAZ Iray 'canvases'? 
    Incredibly powerful.

Honestly.. I have not looked that hard at the Daz IRay render options
    Because ,unlike Blender cycles, IRay is not a branched path tracer
    with  user options to set bounces on a per surface type basis.

And the princpled Shader is far superior to the Daz system for Making custom shaders IMHO

IRay  is a brute force path tracer with very limited  user optimization options 
    thus not suitable for the types of animation output I require

Also I am not even invested in NVDIA Hardware thus
    truly a non-starter for my pipeline

All moot at any rate.
    Daz studio and even Iclone Pro is simply not a suitable
    final lighting rendering output environment as I need to be able to easily set up exclusive light/scene object relationships
    Assign level of detail tags to background objects
    set anti aliasing on a per object basis

apply  exclusive/inclusive ,in render effects to specific scene objects via an object buffer
    Assign Camera to spline paths for camera animation

Assign animated vibration tags to cameras for in render camera shake
    on demand.

perform basic camera cuts in render via animated camera switching during rendering

As well as send my lights and camera Data out to various compositing tools as native
    formats to auto track dynamic lense flares and other seamless integration in the comping environment of After Effects or combustion etc.

Once you try compositing and post work you'll never go back

Indeed !!you will never achieve any serious Visual effects you need without compositing

comp-options.jpg
    761 x 1029 - 325K
    Post edited by wolf359 on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,158
    edited January 2019

{REMOVED}

Post edited by Ivy on