What is the deal with those creepy DAZ YouTube commercials?

Comments

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited January 2019

@bytescapes

I found using toon characters or shaders in daz studio look much better and are much more forgiving than trying to do photorealism with daz studio.

I do agree daz does need some tweaks like pinning tools better IK &FK system for using animated pose sets. and the animate2 time line needs a major update, Daz depends on its 3rd parties for animation tools so PA's can make money off their efforts we have a fluid simulations now we didn;t have

But then again Daz is nothing like Maya or vue or c4d, its apples to oranges .. Take look at iclone  and tell me you like the looks of those drop and render animations. they look very flat to me.  Daz assets work & look pretty good in gaming engines if you want to put in the effort to use them. But for a hobby/ armature animator or a new person looking learn some basic skill for animations, before moving on to bigger better things  then daz is perfect for for us, as we don't have to spend $100's a month for a cloud 3D program like Maya, vue or c4d, we don't have to build or re-rig assets and once you have a grasp of basic lighting skills  you can make some cute cartoons  with daz . Even blender has its problems mostly UI issues. But alot of animations depend on the skill of the animator and the eye for details and use of the software that make animation great no matter the software.   In my opinion i think you are expecting to much from a free software like daz.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • To be honest, I think you could make a better ad for DAZ in about forty-five minutes just by taking the twenty current best pictures from the Gallery and cross-fading and Ken Burns-ing them together. There are images in the Gallery every day that make me go "Oh my God!" The Youtube ads just make me shake my head and wonder what DAZ are thinking.

I wholeheartedly agree.  Before DAZ, the extent of my exposure to examples of 3D art were poorly posed and even worse-lit adult-oriented Horror-themed renders by Poser users who didn't care about such details.  When I learned about DAZ in '06, I started delving more into the 3D art community as a whole and was absolutely blown away by what I saw from skilled Poser and DAZ artists alike.  It was their work that inspired me to learn everything I know today.

Finally, they're not getting best value for their advertising dollar. I see those damn ads every time I go to YouTube now. This may not be DAZ's fault -- we're probably seeing the limitations of YouTube's targeting algorithms...

Yup, it's YouTube's algorithms.

• The first one is the stuff of nightmares and was enough for me.  Hopefully, the nightmare quality is intentional.  It's disturbing otherwise.  At least there are no nipples or what have you to really freak people out. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796

maybe they should commission Ivy enlightened

Honestly I have seen a lot of awesome DAZ studio animated videos but theirs while beautifully rendered are as creepy AF, if showcasing the program slide shows and turntables would be better and as I said walk cycling and idles maybe a bit of speech explaining features using lipsync with a HUMAN voice.

• false1false1 Posts: 43

Why are they avoiding the tried and true "female walk cycle with jiggly body parts"? If it ain't broke don't fix it. By the way, as a long time Poser user who's been avoiding switching to Daz, that fluid simulation Ivy posted turned my head way more than those YouTube vids. They should have had a contest or something. They could have got way better videos on the cheap.

yeslaugh

edited January 2019
    false1 said:

Why are they avoiding the tried and true "female walk cycle with jiggly body parts"? If it ain't broke don't fix it. By the way, as a long time Poser user who's been avoiding switching to Daz, that fluid simulation Ivy posted turned my head way more than those YouTube vids. They should have had a contest or something. They could have got way better videos on the cheap.

I like jiggly body parts walk cycles too :)

Post edited by Ivy on
  • false1false1 Posts: 43
    Ivy said:
    false1 said:

That was kinda awesome. 

You prolly like this one too for the jiggly girls

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

That's one way to get em into class. LOL

Laurie

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

So, my main take away is... DAZ is a free application that answers the question: What if my nightmares were a videogame cutscene from 2003?

• marie koutnevermarie koutnever Posts: 46
    edited January 2019

Hi there :-)

May i could do a little bit of publicity for my DAZ Studio Iray animation project called "Koutneverland"

I really hope, my animations are better than her number of views. Thanks for your time :-) 

and wish you the best for 2019

Marie

my youtube playlist for koutneverland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdR6JAdnXMg&list=PLdTFn0HkHubItj-rdderOXVfpTZTmaCH3

Post edited by marie koutnever on
    edited January 2019

Hi there :-)

May i could do a little bit of publicity for my DAZ Studio Iray animation project called "Koutneverland"

I really hope, my animations are better than her number of views. Thanks for your time :-) 

and wish you the best for 2019

Marie

my youtube playlist for koutneverland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdR6JAdnXMg&list=PLdTFn0HkHubItj-rdderOXVfpTZTmaCH3

All of your animations in your playist are very well done . very good :)

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited January 2019

I never had much luck in making iray animations look real no matter how hard i try specially when i doing all by hand keyframing   .maybe thats why i try to stick with toons

these are couple of photorealistic animations i tried doing

this one below won second place in animation contest

Post edited by Ivy on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724

Well with all that stuff on the net these days it takes something special to get people's attention. And it actually looks like they got it?

• SR-3SR-3 Posts: 112

Ha! I feel like I'm in a completely different target marketing group than you guys. I love the vids and I think they are silly XD 

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited January 2019

These are poorly done if they are meant convey an advertisement for DAZ. Animation is lacklustre, camerawork is shoddy at best, the idea is weird. It might rear a few heads who like weird, but other than that good luck converting people to DAZ.

Reminds me of that guy who after an animation course was only able to animate this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc

Post edited by Paintbox on
  • I really like the weird Daz animations.  Someone worked really hard on those and I find every one of them amusing.  Sure, the first time I saw one I was kind of sitting there going, "WTF was that?"  But then I watched it again and decided that I was indeed entertained.  They remind me of some really old images I had in an old Poser handbook like 20 years ago - just higher quality and animated.  Sure, they don't look like cut scenes from triple A video games, but you can get the idea that there is a variety of things you can do with the software. 

Mind you, I enjoy watching almost all Daz animations.  I love seeing what folks in the hobby come up with.

(Also, Paintbox, thanks for posting that Dancing bear - I was in tears laughing!)

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561

They can serve a unique purpose (beyond being kind of hilarious). All of them are pretty complex scenes when you consider how much work goes into even a very simple hand-drawn animation, but they don't look unbelievably polished; they look like something a hobbyist could accomplish without the best software in the world. I'm not sure any of these would've hooked me, but if I didn't know what DAZ was when I saw the dForce ad, there's a good chance I'd have assumed it was over my head and way beyond anything my home computer could handle.

That said, it's a little weird to focus so heavily on animation when it doesn't seem like the majority of users get into it.  

It'd be cool to see an refreshed version of this, which I think does a really good job of showing off what the program can do and how it works in a fun, aspirational way.

...agreed.

Ivy said:

I have cute animations I did completely with daz you guys may like. these are just a few i have

...seen the others before  not the last one.  Loved it as well (particularly the boyfriend being "scared" at the end).  Was a very good portrayal of those "scary rides" at carnivals.

Honestly I have seen a lot of awesome DAZ studio animated videos but theirs while beautifully rendered are as creepy AF, if showcasing the program slide shows and turntables would be better and as I said walk cycling and idles maybe a bit of speech explaining features using lipsync with a HUMAN voice.

...yes

Ivy said:
    false1 said:

...wonderful.

• MimicMollyMimicMolly Posts: 2,113

Those creepy commercials were amusing to me, my favorite was the dancing in the knight club or whatever. XD

What won me over as a DAZ customer was the beautiful still art. (Though I'm sure it was a mix of 3D render and painting.) These official animations wouldn't have convinced me.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    Ivy said:

See that's creative. It has humor shows fluid animations and the potential of the products avialble for users interested in animation. 

edited January 2019

@FirstBastion  Thanks for the compliment :)

here is a oldie but goody it has a funny ending

This one is old too & corny to boot  but has a fun ending.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • I normally don't get creeped out, but those adds are very creepy. The one with the shark guy walking on the dock is real freaky.

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390
    edited January 2019

I tried to bring this up when they first started coming out, but some of the videos showcase some interesting things that we can't currently do in studio, like making that balloon pop, or the snowflakes and snowglobe, the glass breaking, the weird monster boxer thingy disintegrating. I wonder if these are showing things we'll be able to do eventually.

Post edited by Sorel on

Those creepy commercials were amusing to me, my favorite was the dancing in the knight club or whatever. XD

What won me over as a DAZ customer was the beautiful still art. (Though I'm sure it was a mix of 3D render and painting.) These official animations wouldn't have convinced me.

...I'm with you.  I only create still scenes. Just seeing animation doesn't really do much for me either.  It takes more than one software tool to bring moving images, sound, music, and voices together as well as a good system so rendring doesn't take forever.

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 742

The only thing that strikes me is... Why is DAZ paying YouTube to show us commercials for a product we're already addicted to? You'd think they could set it up to exclude people who have watched enough "how to" videos related to using DAZ Studio.