Is IK being worked on?

takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,946
edited December 2018 in Daz Studio Discussion

If not, why not? And is there a way to fix it so it can function properly? As it stands, it's too loose and unreliable in comparison to Poser's/Maya/s/IClone's version... c'mon Daz, live up to your dazzling namesake! wink

Post edited by takezo_3001 on

Comments

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,772

If not, why not? And is there a way to fix it so it can function properly? As it stands, it's too loose and unreliable in comparison to Poser's/Maya/s/IClone's version... c'mon Daz, live up to your dazzling namesake! wink

Hi 
    I would seem that the Daz pose controls present a huge problem
    when trying to co-exist with a usable IKFoot& hand contact solver
    ( posers "IK" is not actually usable in production either)
    The author of this DSON based May plugin seems to confirm this.
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/278111/dex-dson-exchange-plugin-for-maya

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,946
    wolf359 said:

Hi 
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/278111/dex-dson-exchange-plugin-for-maya

Thanks for the link!

Yeah, it's irritating that they only partially implemented IK in its current form, as it stands, animation has suffered greatly for it; my fear is that Daz Studio 5 will introduce too many distractionary features as to render their established, incomplete features moot... IK and the animation features including mimic have been abandoned in favor for D-Force which is only practical with the over-priced animation blocks and still images, which really sucks as it would be perfect for a functional IK rigging/animation suite!

To be fair the primary target demographic of Daz are still image makers
    who only need posing tools ..not animation tools.

Also the 64 mimic live plugin gives a decent base result for me
    even with G8
    as I always add secondary facial animation on top of my lipsync.

We animators  must simply invest in "external" options.

• SorelSorel Posts: 1,390

Daz has been posting animated video shorts for quite some time now, and some of them have interesting effects in them. I wonder if these will be new features of daz.

wolf359 said:

Also the 64 mimic live plugin gives a decent base result for me
    even with G8
    as I always add secondary facial animation on top of my lipsync.

We animators  must simply invest in "external" options.

Somewhat true, (I should have been more specific with the original Mimic) but what is the point of having animation capabilities if you aren't going to finish developing it? My question still stands, though it will have to be answered by the developers/daz themselves, so I do hold out hope that the animation capabilities are expanded and not abandoned!

Sorel said:

Daz has been posting animated video shorts for quite some time now, and some of them have interesting effects in them. I wonder if these will be new features of daz.

I do hope so as Daz Studio is my favored default program!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    wolf359 said:

Hi 

Thanks for the link!

Yeah, it's irritating that they only partially implemented IK in its current form, as it stands, animation has suffered greatly for it; my fear is that Daz Studio 5 will introduce too many distractionary features as to render their established, incomplete features moot... IK and the animation features including mimic have been abandoned in favor for D-Force which is only practical with the over-priced animation blocks and still images, which really sucks as it would be perfect for a functional IK rigging/animation suite!

You have news about Daz Studio 5?

• wolf359 said:

Hi 

I'm not sure what you are geting that from - the plug-in developer certainly says that, in Maya, applying HumanIK interferes with soem features that would otherwise coem over from DS but that falls well short of saying that Pose Controls present a problem for IK within DS - it  might simply be a result of the way the (non-native) feature is set up in Maya.

wolf359 said:

You are prone to saying this, but it certainly isn't something Daz has said.

nicstt said:
    wolf359 said:

Hi 

Thanks for the link!

You have news about Daz Studio 5?

No, not really, just speculating although it's a LooOOoog way off as we're only at version 4.10 now and we've been in beta 4.11 for 7 months, so we probably won't see it for a long, long time!

• mikael-aronssonmikael-aronsson Posts: 546
    edited January 2019

Maya and iClone use full time IK, DS use an ancient part time IK system that require baking to keyframes, so it's not fair to compare them, with full time IK and a setting so you can stop IK chains when needed (hip for example) it would be pretty ok.

Post edited by mikael-aronsson on
  • Maya and iClone use full time IK, DS use an ancient part time IK system that require baking to keyframes, so it's not fair to compare them, with full time IK and a setting so you can stop IK chains when needed (hip for example) it would be pretty ok.

I'm not at all sure what you mean here. Pinning in DS stops the IK chain.

• I don't know about the other software you mentioned but in daz I've been using target helpers with pinning. It does require some frame by frame work though. I like the IK system in carrara more.
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

I'm not at all sure what you mean here.

What Mikael says is obvious to anyone making animations. DAZ doesn't provide a full-time ik system. That is, it doesn't provide animatable ik handles. That means that the ik handle (or pin) only serves to pose the character, but it is not an object accounted for in animation.

That makes a huge difference. Since a full-time ik will keep a "pinned" hand in place during the animation, while a part-time ik will not unless it is backed.

• Padone said:

I'm not at all sure what you mean here.

What Mikael says is obvious to anyone making animations. DAZ doesn't provide a full-time ik system. That is, it doesn't provide animatable ik handles. That means that the ik handle (or pin) only serves to pose the character, but it is not an object accounted for in animation.

That makes a huge difference. Since a full-time ik will keep a "pinned" hand in place during the animation, while a part-time ik will not unless it is backed.

No, there are not parentable targets if that is what you mean - but the second half seems to be saying something different.

edited January 2019

Maya and iClone use full time IK, DS use an ancient part time 
    IK system that require baking to keyframes,

Reallusion leased their Maya human IK system from Autodesk.
    It is a proper Ik system With realtime foot and hand contact solving during vertical and lateral root motion
    with uneven terrain recognition.

Those so called "pins" in Daz studio do NOT perform contact Solving during motion
    hence they simply "snap off" when you move the "pinned" foot/hand beyond the most minimal range of motion.
    Pining  and using the "point at"  option of  a hand or foot to a stationary object, sometimes works and sometimes not.
    YMMV.frown

I find them much more stable  if you select to body part to be moved  and us the 
    manual XYZ rotation /translation tools .

Using the Daz studio Pose control sliders instantly snaps the pins(Hmmm??)cool

Poser"IK" has  slightly better performance however it is an all or nothing proposition.

One can pin feet in poser for a realistic squating motion however if you 
     unpin the feet ,later in time ,to have the figure perform a root locomotion motion like walking
    Poser forcibly tries to retroactivelly  re-pin the feet, buggering the entire animation.

At least Daz studio only ruins the bit where the pins failed allowing you to salvage everything before and after
    that.

BTW if you want some really cool fun with animation in DS get the free Cycler plugin from Mcasual.
    https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/
    Automatic repetition of any morph parameter for "jiggly bellies"
    hair/clothing movement morphs trembling etc etc. 

Daz studio with  GraphMate/KeyMate/ Animate2 /mimic live/Mcasual's scripts
    can be used to create some pretty complex animations,despite the lack of a true IK solver.yes

IMHO A better value than poser in this consumer space.

Post edited by wolf359 on
    wolf359 said:

Maya and iClone use full time IK, DS use an ancient part time 
    IK system that require baking to keyframes,

Reallusion leased their Maya human IK system from Autodesk.
    It is a proper Ik system With realtime foot and hand contact solving during vertical and lateral root motion
    with uneven terrain recognition.

Those so called "pins" in Daz studio do NOT perform contact Solving during motion
    hence they simply "snap off" when you move the "pinned" foot/hand beyond the most minimal range of motion.
    Pining  and using the "point at"  option of  a hand or foot to a stationary object, sometimes works and sometimes not.
    YMMV.frown

I find them much more stable  if you select to body part to be moved  and us the 
    manual XYZ rotation /translation tools .

Using the Daz studio Pose control sliders instantly snaps the pins(Hmmm??)cool

Poser"IK" has  slightly better performance however it is an all or nothing proposition.

One can pin feet in poser for a realistic squating motion however if you 
     unpin the feet ,later in time ,to have the figure perform a root locomotion motion like walking
    Poser forcibly tries to retroactivelly  re-pin the feet, buggering the entire animation.

At least Daz studio only ruins the bit where the pins failed allowing you to salvage everything before and after
    that.

BTW if you want some really cool fun with animation in DS get the free Cycler plugin from Mcasual.
    https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/
    Automatic repetition of any morph parameter for "jiggly bellies"
    hair/clothing movement morphs trembling etc etc. 

Daz studio with  GraphMate/KeyMate/ Animate2 /mimic live/Mcasual's scripts
    can be used to create some pretty complex animations,despite the lack of a true IK solver.yes

IMHO A better value than poser in this consumer space.

Thanks for the Mcasual link, yeah; those pins are pretty useless, I'll give the pose/parameter manipulation a go.