Replicate Settings within Vertex Object

I'm trying to use replicate within the vertex object modeler.

Let's say I'd like to take a 5 foot cube (or a 5 foot square polygon),  and replicate 5 of those so they're exactly touching edges on the y axis (resulting in a 25 foot or 30 foot object (depending on whether or not the initial copy counts) - what settings would I use to do that?

It looked like I would just put in a 5 foot y offset in the vertex model room under Edit>Replicate>Linear> Y offset,

but when i do that, there's a large gap between each square or cube.

Then number I have to put in foir the offset to make things work is .42   - but I'm not sure why that is and I'd like to understand how the offset works so I can use it for making / spacing things (like teeth for a gear) with precision.

Thanks

Comments

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

There seems to be a bug in the Replicate command where it doesn't correctly recognize what Units the original object is created in. It assumes that the 5 foot polygon is actually 5 inches. To get the correct spacing you need to divide it by 12 to (theoretically) convert it to feet (5 / 12 = 0.4166666).

So whatever the dimension really is, just divide it by 12 to get the offset you're looking for.

• @de3an -- thanks; tested that out in vertex model room with various polygons and objects and works great.

• Mosk the ScribeMosk the Scribe Posts: 888
    edited December 2018

(duplicate post)

Post edited by Mosk the Scribe on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

there's also a terrific plug in by sparrowhawke for replicating on facettes might be of interest

• Hey @Headwax - thanks for the suggestion. Do you know the name of that plugin? Is it the Duplicate on Command one in Sparrowhawke's 'Lab' or something else?  Thanks.

• de3an said:

There seems to be a bug in the Replicate command where it doesn't correctly recognize what Units the original object is created in. It assumes that the 5 foot polygon is actually 5 inches. To get the correct spacing you need to divide it by 12 to (theoretically) convert it to feet (5 / 12 = 0.4166666).

So whatever the dimension really is, just divide it by 12 to get the offset you're looking for.

I too had found I had do divide by 12. Odd thing is I use exclusively the metric system, where 12 doesn't mean anything (10 is much simpler !).

I never understood why (I never really searched for the answer, to be honest).

Thanks, now I know !

Sorry Mosk ... yes the duplicate on in the lab ! 

• got it - thanks - will test that out when I get a chance

thumbs up :)