DAZ Studio Pro 4.6.1.17 General Release, Now Available!

Comments

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Middle mouse button click does the job

True, if you have one.

CHEERS!

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

I like to deal with release versions, so, I'll wait till then before delving into things that aren't yet fixed. ERC Freeze sounds like it might be an interesting thing to learn, but one would find it difficult to learn with broken tools.

One thing, aside from DS itself, I'd like to see fixed are hyperlinks in these forums, is it too much to ask that they open in a new tab or window!?

CHEERS!

This is the release version! Stuff got broke :-(

Stuff got changed ...

They have fixed somethings and hopefully will fix the rest for the next release.
    So just in case something else was broke ... little hard to tell if one doesn't try and things can get really funny sometimes when one hasn't got a clue and just starts making selections to "let's see what happens" ...

edited December 1969

A partial reply to some of Patience55's questions:

Sub-components are properties that are controlled by the current property - for example, left and right morphs controlled by a both-sides property. Controllers are properties that control the current property - for example, a both-sides master control for a left-side morph.

ERC Freeze
    You need to create a new property only if the property you want to set to control the others doesn't yet exist. For example, if you have set a number of morphs (such as a left and a right side morph) and you want a master control, that isn't itself a morph, to set both at once you would need to create it but when adjusting the rigging to a shape the shape property obviously exists and is the thing you want to control the rigging change so there's no need to create a property.

Don't memorise the rigging after using Adjust rigging to shape - that's the opposite of what you want (the rigging should be memorised in its zero state, with no morphs applied, and then adjusting and ERC Freezing links the changes from that setup to the morph - if you memorise there are no changes to link, and the zeroed state will no longer match the zeroed shape).

The figure selection determines which figure is being looked at. The Node selection is the node with the property you want to control the new ERC links. The Property list under node will be the properties on the node. The Figure selection determines what properties are listed at the bottom, the only effect the other two picks have is that the Property pick will be removed from the list of controllable properties.

The properties listed in the bottom panel are those on the selected figure that are not zeroed, and so could be controlled by the ERC link, with the current control property excluded of course (it can't control itself). When setting up shape adjustment you should have only the morph and the adjusted join centres in their non-zero state, though it's still wise to run your eye down the list to check for interlopers.

Although Float properties are the most common it's laso possible to have Boolean (on/off, such as visibility) and list (like shadow types on lights) properties for example.

Thank you kindly. Will add this to my working notes ...

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

So, that's what happens when it works....

CHEERS!

By the way the bug was only when ERC freezing rigging properties(center point, end point, orientation ect) and hidden properties. The case where you are making a dial to control another morph or series of morphs still works.

Confirmed, yes the new control dials can still be made and work as expected.

edited December 1969

... edit ...

Ah the groups pop-up, I was thinking of another one.

There is another dialog for editing groups that doesn't take up so much space:
    Put parameters in Edit mode
    Select a one or more properties (this method lets you edit multiple properties at once)
    Show Context Menu (right click on PC)
    Select "Set > Property Group"

You'll get a dialog with a "Path Combox" to select existing groups, and "+" that will let you add a new one.

Okay thank you. I'll take a look for that option next time.

• firefly43firefly43 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

I like to deal with release versions, so, I'll wait till then before delving into things that aren't yet fixed. ERC Freeze sounds like it might be an interesting thing to learn, but one would find it difficult to learn with broken tools.

One thing, aside from DS itself, I'd like to see fixed are hyperlinks in these forums, is it too much to ask that they open in a new tab or window!?

CHEERS!

Wow the links actually take you somewhere. 80% of the ones I click take me to a page that reads "this page cannot be viewed"
    I don't mind the right click step of opening in a new tab if I could just get to the pages :ohh:

edited December 1969

A partial reply to some of Patience55's questions:

Sub-components are properties that are controlled by the current property - for example, left and right morphs controlled by a both-sides property. Controllers are properties that control the current property - for example, a both-sides master control for a left-side morph.

ERC Freeze
    You need to create a new property only if the property you want to set to control the others doesn't yet exist. For example, if you have set a number of morphs (such as a left and a right side morph) and you want a master control, that isn't itself a morph, to set both at once you would need to create it but when adjusting the rigging to a shape the shape property obviously exists and is the thing you want to control the rigging change so there's no need to create a property.

Don't memorise the rigging after using Adjust rigging to shape - that's the opposite of what you want (the rigging should be memorised in its zero state, with no morphs applied, and then adjusting and ERC Freezing links the changes from that setup to the morph - if you memorise there are no changes to link, and the zeroed state will no longer match the zeroed shape).

The figure selection determines which figure is being looked at. The Node selection is the node with the property you want to control the new ERC links. The Property list under node will be the properties on the node. The Figure selection determines what properties are listed at the bottom, the only effect the other two picks have is that the Property pick will be removed from the list of controllable properties.

The properties listed in the bottom panel are those on the selected figure that are not zeroed, and so could be controlled by the ERC link, with the current control property excluded of course (it can't control itself). When setting up shape adjustment you should have only the morph and the adjusted join centres in their non-zero state, though it's still wise to run your eye down the list to check for interlopers.

Although Float properties are the most common it's laso possible to have Boolean (on/off, such as visibility) and list (like shadow types on lights) properties for example.

Holy braintwister ...... tell me that someday I will actually understand all of that!!! I know I'm new but that and all those pictures from Patience55 just made me realize I KNOW NOTHING!!! I'm gonna need a crap load of tutorials aren't I??!!

edited December 1969

firefly43 said:
    ... edit ...

Holy braintwister ...... tell me that someday I will actually understand all of that!!! I know I'm new but that and all those pictures from Patience55 just made me realize I KNOW NOTHING!!! I'm gonna need a crap load of tutorials aren't I??!!

Oh not to panic. All what I posted was not the full project and it's about creating things in Daz Studio. So what the artist sees for the installed content will work as expected [I hope]. The artist wants to click on the figure, say Genesis, and dial in the morph. It's rather nice if the bones go with the figure and that's what I'm trying to make happen, eventually. I do have a habit of putting out little tutorials now and then ... when I realized the scope of changes made, I pulled the ones I had already done so as to not confuse anybody.

edited December 1969

firefly43 said:
    ... edit ...

Oh not to panic. All what I posted was not the full project and it's about creating things in Daz Studio. So what the artist sees for the installed content will work as expected [I hope]. The artist wants to click on the figure, say Genesis, and dial in the morph. It's rather nice if the bones go with the figure and that's what I'm trying to make happen, eventually. I do have a habit of putting out little tutorials now and then ... when I realized the scope of changes made, I pulled the ones I had already done so as to not confuse anybody.

Panic, me panic, :bug: well yea just a bit.

We just got Daz in July. He wants to create things to sell, I want to do my own book illustrations. So we pretty much need to learn how to do all that. I found it amusing that as I read all that stuff I felt like I was trying to read another language.

Just made me realize how much we do need to learn, and not just about Daz, but also Hexagon, and Cararra, and Poser .... etc... If you have tutorials your are willing to share ..... OH PLEASE do feel free to share! We (me and better half) will need all the help we can get.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

I agree, that would be my preference too.

If you are on windows, right clicking on the link and selecting open in new window or tab will do the job.

Or clicking the Mousewheel ...

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Rogerbee said:

CHEERS!

I agree, that would be my preference too.

If you are on windows, right clicking on the link and selecting open in new window or tab will do the job.

or (PC Firefox) CTRL plus click so MAC would be ctrl or opt plus click

edited December 1969

Kerya said:

True, if you have one. I have one of those fancy Microsoft touch mice and they have a strip instead of a wheel, it takes some getting used to.

Anyway, aside from ERC Freeze, which I may not even end up using, is there anything else lurking in this version of DS waiting to trip us up!?

CHEERS!

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,119
    edited December 1969

firefly43 said:
    firefly43 said:
    ... edit ...

We just got Daz in July. He wants to create things to sell, I want to do my own book illustrations. So we pretty much need to learn how to do all that. I found it amusing that as I read all that stuff I felt like I was trying to read another language.

Just made me realize how much we do need to learn, and not just about Daz, but also Hexagon, and Cararra, and Poser .... etc... If you have tutorials your are willing to share ..... OH PLEASE do feel free to share! We (me and better half) will need all the help we can get.

Well, it was a scatter-gun set of answers to questions rather than a considered exposition.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

unable to remove data folders from my preferences
    Edit>Preferences go to the Content Library tab, go to the Content Directory Manage and remove the folder and accept.
    Quit Studio, reopen Studio, folder is still listed.

edited December 1969

firefly43 said:
    firefly43 said:
    ... edit ...

Well, it was a scatter-gun set of answers to questions rather than a considered exposition.

LOL .... I know. But it still had so much that I have not even found yet. 3D art is just that .... an art. it will take practice to learn all the ins and outs of it. Some of what we (me & better half) have purchased during this sale have obj files to them. It will allow me to take something pre-made into the programs we have and just play with it to see how everything works.

I do know enough to save the file before even touching it in a different name so as not to destroy the original mesh. (Impressed aren't you LOL)

I am sure we will get the hang of it eventually, but I do think it is a good idea to start looking for some tutorials that have a good step by step from creation to proper saving.

I like what is in the Daz wiki, but it is hard to follow as there are many links to some of what is being done and I end up with numerous pages up and lose track of the initial flow. But the info is good! The format is just a bit hard for me right now because I really do "know nothing" so everything has to be looked up to find out "what the heck is that".... LOL.

Still loving the whole idea of these programs though! I am amazed at what some of these vendors have produced. It is amazing. There is just nothing more fun then being creative.

edited December 1969

firefly43 said:
    ... edit ...

I do know enough to save the file before even touching it in a different name so as not to destroy the original mesh. (Impressed aren't you LOL)

I am sure we will get the hang of it eventually, but I do think it is a good idea to start looking for some tutorials that have a good step by step from creation to proper saving.

I like what is in the Daz wiki, but it is hard to follow as there are many links to some of what is being done and I end up with numerous pages up and lose track of the initial flow. But the info is good! The format is just a bit hard for me right now because I really do "know nothing" so everything has to be looked up to find out "what the heck is that".... LOL.

Still loving the whole idea of these programs though! I am amazed at what some of these vendors have produced. It is amazing. There is just nothing more fun then being creative.

I would suggest saving 'the installation folders' for the product IF it's a D/S content because a "copy" won't necessarily work in the first place. [because of how the files are made] You can save a copy and work with the original and then rename the copy back to replace the original file.

There are a few tutorials in the store --- information also exists in Nuts 'n Bolts [I have a couple of clothing threads in there somewhere] -- lots of Daz videos over at Youtube :-)

While you're getting an overview of some of what can be accomplished with the program; it's possibly a good idea to narrow the scope. Pick "one thing at a time" to learn. That 'one thing' will have lots of branches ;-)

edited December 1969

Thanks for the info, but here is a question
    I have bought a lot of things from a vendor named "Jack Tomalin" and in the "What's Included & Features Tab" on the product page it says the figures come in CR2(Poser) DUF(Daz) and Obj (opens in Hexagon & numerous other programs)

When there is an obj file included in the purchase of the item (which ofcourse I will have to find in the Daz Library folder once it's installed) this is what I planned to do

Open the obj file in Hexagon
    Once opened immediately save it in a diffrent folder with a name like test 1 etc..
    From there I can play with the object to my hearts content, save it, open it in other programs which take obj and so on, without damaging the original obj for the product.

I can do this right and it will work, or is there some other method I have to use to do this?

Will check all the places you mentioned by the way, and thanks.

edited December 1969

Yes, that will work - you can also export OBJ files from DS (File>Export, set OBJ as the file type in the save dialogue) for items that aren't in Poser format. It is a good idea to keep those modifications separate from your own work, especially if you are planning to go on to make freebies or commercial items, so that there's no danger of your accidentally including part of another product in something of your own.

edited December 1969

firefly43 said:
    I have bought a lot of things from a vendor named "Jack Tomalin" and in the "What's Included & Features Tab" on the product page it says the figures come in CR2(Poser) DUF(Daz) and Obj (opens in Hexagon & numerous other programs)

When there is an obj file included in the purchase of the item (which ofcourse I will have to find in the Daz Library folder once it's installed) this is what I planned to do

Once opened immediately save it in a diffrent folder with a name like test 1 etc..
    From there I can play with the object to my hearts content, save it, open it in other programs which take obj and so on, without damaging the original obj for the product.

I can do this right and it will work, or is there some other method I have to use to do this?

Yes. And you'll find all .obj geometries are kept inside the Runtime > Geometries folders. Just remember that whatever else you do with them, you do NOT share them ;-)
    I actually just "copy" the desired .obj [for eg. V4 for modeling clothes to] and "paste" my private copy into a folder under my own name called "private". That's a tad safer ;-) Then in Hexagon I can import said geometry and carry on.

Now I'm going offline for awhile to see what more I can do or not in D/S4.6.1.17

edited October 2013

Yes, that will work - you can also export OBJ files from DS (File>Export, set OBJ as the file type in the save dialogue) for items that aren't in Poser format. It is a good idea to keep those modifications separate from your own work, especially if you are planning to go on to make freebies or commercial items, so that there's no danger of your accidentally including part of another product in something of your own.

Thanks! Hey ... I have graduated from "I know nothing" to I know something!!

So, I can use other peoples obj files to create something new (meaning changing the obj enough from the original that it is now a new original) to make stuff created by me?

Post edited by firefly43 on
    edited December 1969

firefly43 said:

Yes. And you'll find all .obj geometries are kept inside the Runtime > Geometries folders. Just remember that whatever else you do with them, you do NOT share them ;-)
    I actually just "copy" the desired .obj [for eg. V4 for modeling clothes to] and "paste" my private copy into a folder under my own name called "private". That's a tad safer ;-) Then in Hexagon I can import said geometry and carry on.

Now I'm going offline for awhile to see what more I can do or not in D/S4.6.1.17

Wow thanks for saving me time trying to locate them. And no I would never share someone else's stuff with others. I respect the work they do they don't need me passing it off for free to others. I will be very careful in saving them.

edited December 1969

firefly43 said:

Thanks! Hey ... I have graduated from "I know nothing" to I know something!!

So, I can use other peoples obj files to create something new (meaning changing the obj enough from the original that it is now a new original) to make stuff created by me?

No, if you start from someone else's OBJ then it's a derivative item no matter how much you change it - which is why I was saying to be careful to keep those separate from your own original work, to avoid mistakes.

edited December 1969

ditto ... "private folders" are for other people's work and/or derivatives. Fine to learn with but to make stuff for sharing; also have to learn how to make it from scratch. That's more a matter of learning how to use the modeling program ... over in the Hexagon forums such things are also discussed.

edited December 1969

Got it! Okay for experimentation, not for re-model. Will be very cautious then to make sure I don't mix them up?

Thanks loads for the info ... both of you.

• Kevin RyeKevin Rye Posts: 392
    edited December 1969

DAZ, you guys so have to fix the "crashes every other time you select something in the Parameters tab" bug. It's killing my workflow. I've been in DS for 12 hours today and it's crashed at least 10 times!! I'm getting really irritated. Do you know how long it takes for this scene to open each time? (Clue: a long time)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ryemac3 said:
    DAZ, you guys so have to fix the "crashes every other time you select something in the Parameters tab" bug. It's killing my workflow. I've been in DS for 12 hours today and it's crashed at least 10 times!! I'm getting really irritated. Do you know how long it takes for this scene to open each time? (Clue: a long time)
    I'm not seeing this. I use parameters instead of other tabs as I learned that way in DS2 and DS3. Could you just have too much loaded at one time?
    edited December 1969

Does it only do it with a certain layout/theme!? There could be a bug there rather than the whole program.

CHEERS!

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

ryemac3 said:

Intel Mac with OS 10.8.x
    ?

edited December 1969

Thought I should drop in and say THANK YOU for changing the Flash Screen and even better for those at work, etc, to ALSO have the option to change it to a clean professional looking one.

• Kevin RyeKevin Rye Posts: 392
    edited October 2013

ryemac3 said:

Intel Mac with OS 10.8.x
    ?

Yes, 10.8.4. I filed a bug report and was told it was fixed. Let's push that out already!!!

@Jaderail
    I don't have too much loaded. I have 16GB of RAM and the file only uses 5GB.

Post edited by Kevin Rye on