Problems with 4.6

Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

Since updating to 4.6.0.18 I've had lots of problems, especially with more complex scenes. It seems to run slower, and take a lot of time to load... scenes. I have heard that having a lot of content and morphs can increase load times. Is this true? I have 1300 items....

Is there way to better troubleshoot what is causing 4.6 to run slowly, or why certain files hang and don't load?

I checked the log file, but I don't undersand really how to interpret what I'm seeing.

I've tried backing up my user data and reinstalling. When I did this, userdata hung on reload and my carefully made categories were not all complete.

4.6.0.18 also seems to crash when I use morphs to adjust hair and the figure. This is random, but frustrating.

I've tried reinstalling it, and am currently trying the beta 4.6.1.14 to see if there is an improvement.

Anyway, any suggestions? Should I uninstall lots of content and does that work to improve speed? I'd hate to do that, but I am tired of spending a lot of time making an image, saving it, then have daz won't open it again, or having it spend long minutes clearing file and loading scene.

I appreciate the help. I realize my symptoms are somewhat vague, but I just don't know how to fix it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Post edited by Serene Night on

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

The amount of content has nothing to do with DS speed. the Power of the CPU and its speed and the power of the GPU and its speed both do have a lot to do with it.At start DAZ Studio loads the Genesis figure, if set that way, it them loads all the morphs for genesis you have installed, it then converts the MESH into the Proper version for use in the program. Then the GPU is called to display the item. All that takes Time, but to me it sounds as if something is causing a Hard drive read slow down. No idea what as each PC is different and just one thing can cause another program to slow down at load. Even a Virus program or File checker that is active from another installed program.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    The amount of content has nothing to do with DS speed. the Power of the CPU and its speed and the power of the GPU and its speed both do have a lot to do with it.At start DAZ Studio loads the Genesis figure, if set that way, it them loads all the morphs for genesis you have installed, it then converts the MESH into the Proper version for use in the program. Then the GPU is called to display the item. All that takes Time, but to me it sounds as if something is causing a Hard drive read slow down. No idea what as each PC is different and just one thing can cause another program to slow down at load. Even a Virus program or File checker that is active from another installed program.

I'm actually rather glad to hear that. Don't want to uninstall content. Thanks Jaderail. =-)

I may uninstall unused morphs. I do have a lot of those.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 1969

I wanted to report that my log file for just loading genesis with daz was 20 seconds before pruning back my morphs.

Now it is 2 seconds to load genesis.

Thanks Jaderail.

Removing the surplus morphs really helped.

That is too bad. Loved all that versatility but hated the lag.