V4 Skins Auto Converter for Genesis 2 Female(s)....it really works.

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Not urgent - possible bug or policy inconsitency in generation 4 for ear surface map?:

Did anyone notice that when using the V4 to G2F Skins Auto Converter in some cases the Ear surface will not be textured correctly?

How to recreate this:
    - Load basic Genesis 2 female
    - run V4 Skin Converter Script
    - select any V4 texture

Result:
    The ear surface is still V5 Bree (The default G2F texture)

- - -

Update / Edit:
    Originally I had an idea why this might happen but it turns out that was not the case.

I checked a lot of textures

The ears always seemd to be part of the Torso map.
    G2F has a separate ear surface zone.

- - -

Can anyone replicate this behavior when autoconverting textures with the script?

I'm pretty sure this happens for me, too, when using the script. A manual tweak of the maps sorts it out.
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited July 2014

Bear with me (growl.) Seriously-
    I need to get this all straight- I'm not a technical person. But I'm going to try this.

First question- I don't "get" how the Auto Converter and the V4ForG2F (Victoria 4 For Genesis 2 Female) work. Please just answer these questions first:

You need both according to the promo. I have installed both.

1. Do I have to do anything with the V4ForG2F or does having it installed automatically do what needs to be done?

Here's why I ask: I chose to experiment on LY Emily. I loaded up G2, clicked the genie lamp (very funny) and for V4 Emily, I had to use the Pose section. It's a poser file, the ds files are for Genesis. (This is by Lyoness, if anyone would like to follow along. I did screenshots and will be posting in my art studio, but I've got to be sure I'm doing it right before I steer everyone else wrong.)

So I'm thinking, "I've got to get this G2F using V4 UV maps." Well, the G2F has the Base Female when first loaded. I loaded 2 G2Fs so I can compare. The second one, after I applied the V4 materials to it, I checked in Surfaces and it had the UV Set as Victoria 4. So does that change automatically? There was a popup that said, "The original file is PZ2, you may need to change the UV set in Surfaces Tab."

I didn't change it, it was already changed.

Next question: those ears.
    They are not the same color and yet the map is Victoria 4. The diffuse is white. So what is the problem? I don't want to save anything until that gets fixed. (EDIT- is the map supposed to be Victoria 4?)

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

So I've tried looking back and forth between the V4 ear material settings and the G2F, and the options aren't the same, so what the heck am I supposed to do? Every time I load V4 materials onto G2F, is this going to happen? How do I get the ears to match the face? Posting "tweaking the maps" doesn't tell anyone diddly squat. Help!

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,333
    edited February 2015

edited and removed by user

Post edited by linvanchene on
    edited December 1969

EEEK. Lol. I'll see what I can do. Appreciate the help.
    But the title of this thread is really misleading if everyone is having to drag and drop to get the head and ears to match.

edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38051/P1335/#649800

After 9 hours of trying every other way to do it (testing files) I did what you suggested and it worked. Thank you so much!
    I wanted to be sure first, that I wasn't messing up and just doing something wrong.

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,062
    edited October 2014

AS PER ABOVE...

As far as I remember in the DS 3Delight surface tab "Editor" you can select a torso or the neck surface zone and right click to select "copy selected surface" and then go to the ear surface and right click to select "paste surface"

-------

sooo...I know this thread is old... but the ear problem has still not been fixed in over a year.... I just bought this product and am very disappointed that I will have to do the above FIX every time I want to use a V4 skin on my G2F... WHY should I have to??? It should have been fixed a year ago when this thread first came out!!!! pft... I HATE buying something that doesn't work like it is ADVERTIZED it is supposed to do!!! (soooo frustrated)

Post edited by Llola Lane on
    edited December 1969

Yep, as you can tell from my posts this past summer, I share your sentiment exactly. Return it if you just bought it. Unfortunately for me, I buy so much stuff that sometimes it's past the 30 days and this was one of those.

edited December 1969

Hi Novica... thing is... I don't WANT to return it... I just want it to work right... LIKE it's supposed to! This should have been fixed a year ago when people first noticed a problem... sheesh... I get soooo frustrated buying things that don't work the way they are supposed to... I'm not sure if it's me or the program... I spent an hour looking at the forums last night to find this thread... That's an hour lost.. I could have been creating a new piece of art! I know you feel the same way... I'm hoping someone at DAZ or the creator of this product will see this and FIX IT!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!! Hugzzzzz

edited December 1969

We can always dream :)

edited December 1969

Novica said:
    We can always dream :)

(sighs)... yes

edited December 1969

Has anyone actually raised a support case for this? I know I have been bad and not done so ... ;)

• DraagonStormDraagonStorm Posts: 748
    edited December 1969

I working on a fix. It seems to be when .pz2 files are used. This will not be a fix to script itself (I've had a couple of hard disk crashes since I wrote this, and can not find the source code).. It will be a small script to put in the same folder to run right after running the conversion script.

edited December 1969

THANK YOU Draagon.. sorry about loosing source code.. I'll let you know if it works... but you may need to tell future customers too :)

edited October 2014

It's not working for me Draagon... I've put the 2 files in the same folder as the original script and tried a few skins... the ears are still messed up :( ... do I have it in the right place??? (deleted photos below.. answered my own question.. lol)

Post edited by Llola Lane on
    edited December 1969

maybe I need to click the ear fix.. or is it supposed to happen automatically????

edited December 1969

llolalane said:
    maybe I need to click the ear fix.. or is it supposed to happen automatically????

Found it.. you gotta click on it separately... Ok.. I guess that will do.. I can make a shortcut to my smart content tab... Not the perfect fix... but if the source code is lost.. not much you can do about the original script... But you should put a notice on the sales page for future customers.. maybe with the link to the fix??? Just a suggestion... Thank you... Have a grand day!

edited December 1969

kk.. I've been playing.. it looks like the script isn't perfect... there are several skins that don't convert body parts.. i.e. neck.. head.. etc.. that fixes the ears.. but I'll still have to use the copy/paste trick mentioned earlier in this thread... thank you.. I think I'm happy as I can be... :) Have a wonderful day everyone.. Hugzzzzzzzzzzz all around!

edited December 1969

Not tried the fix yet, just about to grab the download, but ... possible to create a script/task that runs the 'new for old' script THEN runs the ear fix one?

edited December 1969

I know the question isn't for me Simon... lol.. but... I just tried Angel for V4 http://www.daz3d.com/angel-for-v4 and the neck... ears.. and back of head don't convert.. had to manually copy/paste as described above... Too bad Draagonstorm doesn't have source codes anymore.. seems like G2F has changed since the converter script was written... (sighs).. oh well.. atleast I know how to fix it :)

edited December 1969

must be because she has different layers.. ie tattoos.. etc... lots of bits don't convert

ear_fixXx.jpg
    486 x 676 - 104K
    edited December 1969

I don't have that product, but a quick peek at the product page makes me think that the .pz2s are applying very much Poser specific materials with the Daz stuff done via .dsb files. The V4 Skins Auto Converter page says, "This script will read the .DS, .DSA and .PZ2 files and do all of the work for you." so that may be the basis of why not all textures are copied across with this one.
    You could try loading the .dsb files on a V4 figure (to make sure you get the DS specific textures) then save those as a Legacy texture set (I think you can do that, I'd check but DS is in a spin-loop for me at the moment trying to find umpteen UberArea Light shaders in Jack Tomalin's Dine on the Orient ... ;)

edited December 1969

not sure I understand all of what said Simon.. I'm still learning.. even after 2 years of working with Daz... but.. I found 2 files for Angel textures... one is the texture and one is texture AO (whatEVER that is)... the one with the AO converts the whole body... Sorry.. I should have tried that before I wrote to this thread... Ughh.. long night.. Anyway.. Just glad to have a way to use my V4 skins on G2F.. I have tons of them. Thank you Draagon for writing the script :) Have a great night everyone!!!

edited October 2014

I can confirm what Llola has already said that the additional script works (where needed).

Llola: I may be wrong about this but I think part of how the original script works is by reading the underlying files that apply the textures. .pz2 and .ds files are clear text but .dsb files are binary (encoded to protect contents). I presume Draagon's script will pick up .ds files by preference (followed by .dsa, then .pz2, etc.) and read those to find what textures to apply to which surfaces. Whilst Daz Studio will happily open, and process a .dsb (as well as .dse - the e is for encryption) when there is one there (you'll see a little scroll overlaid on the texture icon when looking through the Pose folder in Daz Studio Content Library) third-party stuff, such as Dragoon's script are unable to do so, and will thus not look inside them, falling back to the .pz2 file that it can read. With the Angel product those .pz2 files may not apply all, or the best, Daz Studio textures/settings.

The textures named AO will usually mean Ambient Occlusion and tend to be Poser-specific (I think!)

Post edited by SimonJM on
    edited December 1969

P.S. Simon.. the Angel for V4 files are all pz2... I checked... (btw... THANK YOU for letting me know what that darn little scroll was.. it's been bugging me for years.. lol)

Maybe Draagon can get the source files from DAZ??? Not sure how scripting works... Such a bummer it wasn't fixed a year ago when the problem was first discovered... (sighs)... such is the way of life!

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited October 2014

The thing is, it's not really a bug, or a problem with the script. Daz went with adding an extra zone to G2F/G2M that V4/M4/Genesis didn't have.

I really don't see why the need for a second script when you can easily right click > copy on the torso surface and then right click > paste to the ears.

Mind you, I don't have/use this particular script. I use the one in my sig.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

Vaskania it's my fault.. because dummies like me...didn't even know about copy/paste til last night... but buy that time I'd already typed a response in this thread. I just like things to DO what they say they are going to do... After all.. I DID pay for it.. so it should work the way it says. It's the principle of the thing... but now I know... I'm zipping my lip! :) Have a great night.. ziiiiiiiiiiip!!!

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Ah! We've all been there and done that! I'm always missing things that are staring me in the face. lol

Hope you didn't take my post to be demeaning or anything in any way. Certainly wasn't intended that way. :red:

edited December 1969

Vaskania, tell us about the script in your sig? Looks interesting. Does it work on all the V4's you've tried?