Turning a plane into a 3-dimensional object

How can I give a plane volume in Daz3d or Hexagon? I have a plane I'm using as a dforce-d bed cover and I'd like to give it more volume somehow. I'm sure there's a way in either Daz3d or Hexagon to accomplish this but I can't figure it out through google.

Comments

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited December 2018

Daz3D Studio doesn't have any modelling tools. Just thinking about this problem, I would probably scale a cube on the Y axis to make it very thin. 

Hexagon can model, so if you want more realism you could model a blanket in that and import it into Studio.

Post edited by Paintbox on
  • I figured it out myself - it's the "thickness" tool in hexagon (in the "surface modeling" group). Thanks though!

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 2018

Thickness is the way. :) Glad you found it. The folks over in the Hexagon Discussion forum are always happy to help people who are new to modeling.

One thing to be careful about if you're setting this up for dForce is to make sure you give dForce enough polygons to work with. dForce makes it's springs based on the vertices that are attached to each other. While a sheet / blanket might look okay with only a few polygons on each face, you're going to be disappointed in how it drapes over your figures. Since geometry is fairly "cheap" when it comes to rendering, I would subdivide that object like crazy to improve how it looks in my dForce simulation.

Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • felisfelis Posts: 3,657

Just a quick test.

0: Plane dforced onto object

1: Added a push modifier

2: Added thickness

3: Added thickness and beveled the edges

Sheet0.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 79K
    Sheet1.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 81K
    Sheet2.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 82K
    Sheet4.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 81K
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I had a similar problem a couple of days ago when I created a plane and turned it into a dForce blanket. The problems I had were poke though (which I couldn't seem to cure, even with push modifers) and those razor-sharp edges which look anything but blanket-like. So it seems modelling is the way to go for me too. Now the question is - Hex or Blender?