Collision/Smoothing Iterations to Conform Clothing to Body Morphs?

Familiar with auto-fit and  making clothing adjustments and/or hiding body parts to deal with poke-through of clothing items, but . . . . I've been experimenting with these settings at the 'Parameters, Mesh Smoothing' tab and found that sometimes more -- or fewer -- collision or smoothing iterations will help clothing conform to more aggressive body morphs without poke-through, and without the clothing distortions that result when hiding a body-part that pokes through.  Can anyone speak to iterations -- how to use them for this purpose -- or am I missing something? 

Comments

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 505

I am not positive about the difference between the two iterations, but they are good for this purpose. I try to use the lowest number of iterations to get the result I want as the higher number of iterations, the more resources it takes (I think...).

Another thing that this is useful for is when you are putting on another layer of clothing... say a jacket over a shirt. You can set the target to the shirt as opposed to the figure, and that will eliminate the shirt poking through the jacket. That can open another set of issues, especially if the "lower" layer of clothing has weird bumps, etc. Sometimes when I try to use this to put boots over stockings, the boots follow every stocking wrinkle and look odd.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,142

I read advice somewhere (sorry I can't remember where exactly but I noted it down on a piece of paper at the time) that you should set Collision higher than smoothing and not a multiple of it, e.g. 3 and 5 / 5 and 7 / 8 and 13....