Someone mentioned a planned webcomic-ish project of his about boys stranded on an island

nomad-ads_8ecd56922enomad-ads_8ecd56922e Posts: 1,873
edited November 2018 in The Commons

A coupla months back, someone mentioned he was working on a comicbook narrative thingy about a group of boys stranded on an island, and it kinda sounded like it would be in a sort of Lord of the Flies vein, but with more emphasis on adventure than on dark stuff.  Anyone remember who that was?  I've been trying to find it in the forum, but the search mechanism here isn't very useful, and a google search with the forums set in the search field via site:blahblah isn't yeilding anything useful either.

Post edited by nomad-ads_8ecd56922e on

Comments

• I don't know who posted it but it is interesting to note that Golding wrote the book Lord of the Flies in response to the 1858 novel by RM Ballantyne's "Coral Island A Tale of the Pacific Ocean" that was about boys cast off on an island but with more emphasis on adventure than dark stuff. Coral Island was one of the first if not the first at the time of the popular genre of boy's adventures. In Ballyntyne's novel the boy's fight against native tribes and pirates. Golding wrote his novel to illustrate his own opinion on the way he felt boys in reality would really create under the circumstances what could only be referred to as FUBAR.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    There is also a Jules Verne novel about kids having adventures on a desert island. Cannot think of the French title, but in English it is usually called the Long Vacation.
  • Show not TellShow not Tell Posts: 206
    edited February 2019
    Odaa said:
    There is also a Jules Verne novel about kids having adventures on a desert island. Cannot think of the French title, but in English it is usually called the Long Vacation.

There is a history of adventure literature starting in the 1830s in Britain called the "Penny Dreadfuls". Adventure, mystery, detective, etc. that were aimed at boys. Weekly installments of tales that actually hit record sales of over a million per week. More than a million sold a week. Incredible at the time. The increase of literacy in England as well as concern about the moral impact. The two boys in one family used the tales of adventure to justify murdering their mother for cash to fund a sea expedition for pirate treasure.

Post edited by Show not Tell on
  • OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

There is a history of adventure literature starting in the 1830s in Britain called the "Penny Dreadfuls". Adventure, mystery, detective, etc. that were aimed at boys. Weekly installments of tales that actually hit record sales of over a million per week. More than a million sold a week. Incredible at the time. The increase of literacy in England as well as concern about the moral impact. The two boys in one family used the tales of adventure to justify murdering their mother for cash to fund a sea expedition for pirate treasure.

The American equivalent was the "Dime Novel".  Authors of novels for boys (like Horatio Alger) sometimes made fun of these in their stories.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

A coupla months back, someone mentioned he was working on a comicbook narrative thingy about a group of boys stranded on an island, and it kinda sounded like it would be in a sort of Lord of the Flies vein, but with more emphasis on adventure than on dark stuff.  Anyone remember who that was?  I've been trying to find it in the forum, but the search mechanism here isn't very useful, and a google search with the forums set in the search field via site:blahblah isn't yeilding anything useful either.

most webcominc stuff is posted in the Art Studio forum

• I don't know who posted it but it is interesting to note that Golding wrote the book Lord of the Flies in response to the 1858 novel by RM Ballantyne's "Coral Island A Tale of the Pacific Ocean" that was about boys cast off on an island but with more emphasis on adventure than dark stuff. Coral Island was one of the first if not the first at the time of the popular genre of boy's adventures. In Ballyntyne's novel the boy's fight against native tribes and pirates. Golding wrote his novel to illustrate his own opinion on the way he felt boys in reality would really create under the circumstances what could only be referred to as FUBAR.

Hehe,  Well, I'd read Lord of the Flies some while ago, but I just went and found "Coral Island" over on Archive.org and will probably download it later.

• Incidentally, about this 3D boys-stranded-on-an-island project, I saw little bits and pieces mentioned in passing across several different threads here and there, where the guy was asking "can this product do THIS, I need it for a comicbook," and stuff like that.  And the little bits and pieces I saw made me intrigued about his particular project.  I want to read HIS 3D comic.  Then I saw no more mention of it anywhere.  It was as if he'd disappeared off the face of the Earth.  I wish I'd noted down his name so I could look for him again, but I was expecting him to keep mentioning it in passing, little bread crumbs, over the next several months.  But.... then.... nothing.  It just went WHOOMPH!!!! and I haven't seen anything about it since.

BTW, should I move this thread to the Art Studio forum?  I guess its more likely someone over there would know who this was, and maybe he only hangs out there, but a cursory glance over there I don't see any obvious reference to this project in the thread titles.

Hehe,  Well, I'd read Lord of the Flies some while ago, but I just went and found "Coral Island" over on Archive.org and will probably download it later.

let me know if you make it past the third page, I never have.