The Woolyloach Come Home Complaint Thread

Comments

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    OMG, don't tell me it's not Friday yet. sigh sigh sigh

I'm sorry to inform you that...no, not gonna do it, too cruel.
    It's Friday across the pond, I think.

Across the other pond, maybe. Right now it's 4:38 am in New Zealand.

Dana

• SiscaSisca Posts: 875
    edited December 1969

Nice render ps1borg. I like the lighting.

When I start Daz Studio 4.6, I do not see the import metadata dialog box. I might have to reset the preferences or reinstall Daz Studio. Those two actions don't solve my problem, then I will create a new thread on another sub-forum.

edit: forgot to attach screenshot

I might be wrong but I think it only shows the import page if there is actual new content with metadata to be imported. If you install with DIM it seems to handle it automatically.

If you go to Content DB Maintenance there is an option there to "Process Metadata Queue" as well as one to "Re-Import Metadata" if you need to update something.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

29 hours to weekEnd. 5 days to Ironman3 usa dvd release.

i saw an Ironman beanie ballz in the card shop this morning. wuz cute.

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

Complaint! Still no sign of Wooly!

Aaagh!

edited December 1969

Prince of Wales tea? I've never seen this before. certainly not in my local supermarket.

pwtea.JPG
    413 x 518 - 37K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Prince of Wales tea? I've never seen this before. certainly not in my local supermarket.

Courtesy of Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Wales_tea_blend

Prince of Wales tea blend is a blend of China black teas typically served in the afternoon with scones in Britain. The blend was originally devised for Edward, Prince of Wales, later King Edward VIII. The strong earthy scent of Edward's tea reportedly came from high grade Keemun tea from Anhui Province blended with other black teas from around China in order to produce a complex cup of tea. Prince of Wales tea is mild, but full-bodied, with a bright liquor and strong aroma.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593
    edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...tjohn, thanks for the link that was "just what the doctor ordered".

Yeah, just burned out on searching last night. When I put in "lab coat" as a target in the Rendo freebie search, all I got was a very basic one with no rigging.

Also was looking for a pencil (I'm surprised nobody did just a basic #2 pencil, had to retexture a .obj freebie I got from Turbosquid) and a slide rule. The only slide rule I found was in 3DS format and they wanted 30$ for it.

Glad you could use it. I think it was written as Labcoat, Search there apparently won't parse a word, and the creator didn't add the keywords "Lab" or "Coat". I found it by searching the Freepository Forum here, LOL.
    Speaking of pencils, though, wasn't this originally a weekly freebie? I purchased it, but I usually only buy things like this when I have a use in mind - but FREE? Bam, in the cart, :)

http://www.daz3d.com/school-supplies
    ...interesting. I have one called Desk Supplies but it only has pens. Must have missed that one.

...yep doesn't show as "purchased". Still, such a simple item that couldn't be found on either ShareCG or the Rendo Freebies page seemed odd.

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    tjohn said:
    ps1borg said:
    Would be nice to have a donkey to carry the shopping around

The store would have to have w i d e aisles, though. :)

Would need carrots. Lots of carrots :)
    ...Produce - Aisle 4.;-)

edited December 1969

Sisca said:
    ps1borg said:
    tjohn said:
    ps1borg said:
    Would be nice to have a donkey to carry the shopping around

The store would have to have w i d e aisles, though. :)

Would need carrots. Lots of carrots :)

And a much larger version of those clean up stations in the pet stores :)
    ..."Clean Up on Aisle 6 please..."

edited December 1969

chohole said:

Prince of Wales tea blend is a blend of China black teas typically served in the afternoon with scones in Britain. The blend was originally devised for Edward, Prince of Wales, later King Edward VIII. The strong earthy scent of Edward's tea reportedly came from high grade Keemun tea from Anhui Province blended with other black teas from around China in order to produce a complex cup of tea. Prince of Wales tea is mild, but full-bodied, with a bright liquor and strong aroma.

i'm planning to make buttermilk scones this weekend. can't decide which tea to go with it, that i can find locally.

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited September 2013

chohole said:

Oh gawd, the wine writers have taken over the tea aisle as well >_<.</p>

"Smooth earthy overtones, with large nose and small bouquet, superb feet and subtle hint of rose garlands..."

;-)

It's Friday! \(^_^)/

Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

ooo yay. out for delivery, Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey Season 1 (Original UK Edition)

should be a change of pace from DrWho, Thrones, Avengers.

is there a New Zealand, or Australia version of a Dr Who type hero, or a popular superhero, reaching over the dateline :) ?

edited September 2013

...Windows/connection complaint

Last couple days been having some slow response issues.

At first, wasn't sure if it was just the site software (as I suddenly am getting hit hard by those annoying CloudFlare misdirects again), however on a couple job search sites I went to today,I notice I am waiting longer than usual for them to load and page as well which normally has not been the case.

This should not be happening with a high speed connection.

I notice there is this process: "System Idle Process" that begins chewing up CPU resources sending the CPU usage into the 90% range. Seems I have to restart at least once per day to clear this out and get things running smoothly. Not sure what this process is for or if I can shut it down without affecting other system operations.

Nevertheless, I am keeping Task Manager open and watching the CPU usage monitor on the taskbar.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited September 2013

i have the opposite problem with svchost.exe and windows update using up 99% of the CPU.

Edit: idle means not in use. So system idle resources 90% means that 90% of the CPU processing power is not being used to run programs.

Sisca, I will install some more clothes and characters to see if the dialog box shows up. If it doesn't, then I will manually scan for new metadata like you suggested. why do i want to type meat instead of meta? lol

Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited September 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I notice there is this process: "System Idle Process" that begins chewing up CPU resources sending the CPU usage into the 90% range. ...

Erm... the "System Idle Process" is _supposed_ to chew up the idle capacity of your CPU - it gives it up to any process that is actually doing any Real Work at the time. Don't try to kill it - it's part of normal system housekeeping.

If, however, you're managing to get "CPU Usage" down the bottom up to 90% AND have the System Idle Process also at 90%... then you have a Problem.

kk_taskManager.png
    707 x 447 - 60K
    Post edited by M F M on
    edited September 2013

i have the opposite problem with svchost.exe and windows update using up 99% of the CPU.

Edit: idle means not in use. So system idle resources 90% means that 90% of the CPU processing power is not being used to run programs.

...I've seen that occur as well.

------

This is now the sixth time I have either been misdirected to my account or the sign in page or returned to a blank message form after clicking "Submit Post".

...and I just cleared my browser cache a few minutes ago.

Make that thirteen misdirects as I just received seven in a row, three when I was just trying to preview the post.

This is getting getting beyond ridiculous and has been going on for far too long. I can sort of understand it happening with my flaky old wireless connection but not with a high speed hard wired one.

I am beginning to understand and empathise with Wooly's frustrations.

They should get everyone there who knows how to set up a website and site servers and put them to work 24/7 until this nonsense is fixed! Seventeen months people, seventeen bleedin' months and we still are forced to deal with this rubbish!

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,092
    edited December 1969

System Idle Process is a generic process, I think. It runs things in the background like disk utilities and such. I read that there were a couple of bugs in recent Windows Updates for newer OS's. There was one for older ones, too, because I had weird things going on. Last Tuesday I got the big load, 14 updates. After it finished and I rebooted, the yellow shield popped up again...there were three new updates. After installing them, it popped up again, and had the same three. I just ignored it and it eventually went away. Sometimes they break things when they fix things. It might be partly because they're trying to get all the updates out on Tuesday. I think there are way too many of them, and for too many versions of Windows and Office and such. They should break it up and do just certain things one day, and more another day. They might have more time for testing that way.

As for the fast connection, you do realize that no matter how fast your connection is, it still depends on the servers you connect to. I've seen a wide range of responsiveness. Often when I get something from bitsdujour, a 20 Meg + file is down in a blink! I actually have to check sometimes to be sure the file actually downloaded. Then there are sites that don't get above 300 to 500KB/second.

Dana

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited September 2013

Edit: yeah, see what DanaTA said. :D

let me post a screenshot of my taskmanager. TDLMake.exe is CPU intensive.

Now if both the CPU usage of the System Idle process and the total CPU usage is near 100%, then your computer is having issues. I remember reading somewhere that some other processes use system idle to perform calculations or run other kinds of code.

task_manager.jpg
    404 x 455 - 96K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited September 2013

Kyoto Kid said:

------

This is now the sixth time I have either been misdirected to my account or the sign in page or returned to a blank message form after clicking "Submit Post".

Make that thirteen misdirects as I just received seven in a row, three when I was just trying to preview the post.

This is getting getting beyond ridiculous and has been going on for far too long. I can sort of understand it happening with my flaky old wireless connection but not with a high speed hard wired one.

They should get everyone there who knows how to set up a website and site servers and put them to work 24/7 until this nonsense is fixed! Seventeen months people, seventeen bleedin' months and we still are forced to deal with this rubbish!

As has been repeated several times, in several different threads

. Dodgy forum software, thank goodness we're going to be moving off of it to a better forum platform later this year.

Another tip, review your post before posting it.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited September 2013

I got a complete hang (timeout) on trying to Preview that previous post of mine... but fortunately no excursions to the Account page.

Last night I had only one trip to the Account purgatory - so I logged out... didn't wait 5 seconds and logged in again, and carried on.

Some nights seem worse than others for this site (it wasn't a connection thing, as RMP still loaded blazingly fast).

@starionwolf & KK: yeah, the tdlmake processes run off in the background, and the DS interface comes back before it's fully finished. If you watch your task manager while your scene is loading (or rendering at a higher resolution), you'll see a whole lot of work going on (and a sluggish DS, because of it). It will finish up eventually though (depending on the number and size of textures you have in your scene)... just need to be a little patient, once you realise what's going on. (-_-).

Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Kyoto Kid said:

------

As has been repeated several times, in several different threads

. Dodgy forum software, thank goodness we're going to be moving off of it to a better forum platform later this year.

Another tip, review your post before posting it.
    ...I did that and as mentioned three times it misdirected me to my account page instead of the Preview one.

edited September 2013

I get the impression that "going to the account page" is a cookie thing - the server side doesn't think we're logged in at the time (or at least not to post). I've seen it also happen if I open up a whole bunch of pages really quickly (eg looking at Stonemason's products list, and opening like 20 pages in quick succession trying to see if I've got them all or not). In that case, SOME of the pages will have me logged out (top right of the page shows 'Log in', and cart/wishlist is empty, and (obviously) the item is available for purchase at normal price), and SOME of the pages will have me logged in (top right of the page shows 'Log out', and cart/wishlist is correct etc) - and it's not "all logged in" then "all logged out" pages... the cookie access seems mildly random - for some pages it works, and for some it doesn't. v(^_^)v

Not quite sure how cookie access can be non-deterministic... unless it's a threading/mutex/timing of access issue...

Post edited by M F M on
    edited September 2013

M F M said:
    I got a complete hang (timeout) on trying to Preview that previous post of mine... but fortunately no excursions to the Account page.

Last night I had only one trip to the Account purgatory - so I logged out... didn't wait 5 seconds and logged in again, and carried on.

Some nights seem worse than others for this site (it wasn't a connection thing, as RMP still loaded blazingly fast).

@starionwolf & KK: yeah, the tdlmake processes run off in the background, and the DS interface comes back before it's fully finished. If you watch your task manager while your scene is loading (or rendering at a higher resolution), you'll see a whole lot of work going on (and a sluggish DS, because of it). It will finish up eventually though (depending on the number and size of textures you have in your scene)... just need to be a little patient, once you realise what's going on. (-_-).

..the one catch though, I no longer render (or for that fact even work in Daz or any other 3D app) on the notebook anymore so that should not be affecting system load or response. The most I do now graphics wise on it is DL/view image files (sometimes attaching them to posts), create a new LOL on Cheezburger.com, or some occasional work in GIMP or PSP.

...and my dual modem/router is about a foot and a half away from the the notebook with no obstructions in between.

edited December 1969

Is your notebook on a wired connection KK? or wireless?

(I seem to recall you having issues with reception awhile ago...)

edited December 1969

Sometimes it does depend on your Browser and how it handles Daz cookies. For one of the recurring annoying little things it was recommended to clear out the Daz cookies and then reboot the browser to rebuild them. That one was a FireFox thing.

edited September 2013

...the notebook is connecting with it's internal wireless, but taking the signal off the dual modem/hub which is no more than a foot and a half away with no obstructions in between. The modem gets it's signal via direct cable hookup.

The workstation has the direct hardwired connection for download purposes, but I have experienced similar issues with this site on it as well.

edited September 2013

The site is lousy this morning -- tried to go to the new releases page and it didn't show after 90 seconds... so came back here. (black screen - looks like the request was lost or something). I've noticed the page responsiveness bogs down when new products are coming online, or the ad scroller is being updated...

@KK: you're not sitting next to a microwave oven (or other industrial device within 5ft, even through walls), are you? anyway, right now (and indeed for the past couple of weeks), this site has been pretty dodgy - it's not just you.

Post edited by M F M on
    edited September 2013

chohole said:
    Sometimes it does depend on your Browser and how it handles Daz cookies. For one of the recurring annoying little things it was recommended to clear out the Daz cookies and then reboot the browser to rebuild them. That one was a FireFox thing.

...I do that as a daily routine each morning with CCleaner (as well as clearing the cache) before even connecting to the site. I also clear any registry errors as well at the same time.
    edited September 2013

FWIW I don't clear cookies (and am using FF at home and IE at work AND also accessing with Chrome on a mobile phone), unless things clag up badly. Since early this year, I haven't had any problems (with the site) that didn't fix themselves with a deliberate logout and login. *touch wood*

(for Dana's benefit - "For What It's Worth", and "Fire Fox", and "Internet Explorer" ;-) ).

Post edited by M F M on
    edited September 2013

...OK happened five times in a row again four times when I clicked "Preview". Never used to happen when previewing a post only submitting so it's become even flakier.

I even copied the text of this post then abandoned the original and tried again creating a brand new post (that would usually do the trick, but still getting the misdirects).

M F M said:
    The site is lousy this morning -- tried to go to the new releases page and it didn't show after 90 seconds... so came back here. (black screen - looks like the request was lost or something). I've noticed the page responsiveness bogs down when new products are coming online, or the ad scroller is being updated...

@KK: you're not sitting next to a microwave oven (or other industrial device within 5ft, even through walls), are you? anyway, right now (and indeed for the past couple of weeks), this site has been pretty dodgy - it's not just you.

.the nuker is more than a dozen feet away (and I rarely use it save for popcorn and warming up leftovers occasionally). The only other machine within 5 feet of the desk is the Workstation but that isn't causing these issues as they occur even when it is shut down.
This discussion has been closed.