Unable to change color of Metallic car

hi

I purachased a sports Car asset for Daz and I want to change the color of the car.  I found the color parameter  and changed the color (as I usually do for assets) but the color of the car did not change.

The asset is not locked, I have been able to make other tweaks.

The current color is metallic and I think this was achieved by some method or addon I am not familiar with.  Any ideas how to restore it to normal and change color as usual?

Let me know if I can post addtional details.

Comments

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

If the car uses a texture map in the Base/Diffuse color channel, you will be able to tint the texture map slightly, but you won't be able to change blue to red or something extreme like that.

If it isn't using a map and just has shaders, then check for settings like a top coat color or diffuse overlay. Basically start scrolling down through the surface settings and check to see if the original color of the car is anywhere else and replace that as well.

• heisdaveheisdave Posts: 128

JonnyRay

Thanks alot for replying...   I posted an image of the Base/Diffuse parameters...  Do you see anyting that indicates a texture map? I'm not sure what to look for.

If so, is there any way to remove it and just make the object a solid color?

http://i68.tinypic.com/29m975u.png

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 506

I peeked at your images and didn't see an image map. It would appear next to the down-arrow on the left side of the parameter setting.

It could be that the car paint color is another surface. I've had some sets where the obvious choice isn't the correct choice. You may want to see if changing the "Black Gloss" color does anything. "Body color" could refer to things like the frame that is covered by things... it's hard to know.

What I usually do in cases where I need to poke around to find the right surface is pick a bright red or pink and change a surface. If it is not the one I want, I change it back, then move on to the next one. 

• You know there is a Surface Selection tool in Daz Studio? Press Alt+Shift+M.

If you use this you can simply click on the item in the viewport and have the associated surface selected in the Surface pane.

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 506

You know there is a Surface Selection tool in Daz Studio? Press Alt+Shift+M.

If you use this you can simply click on the item in the viewport and have the associated surface selected in the Surface pane.

Yes... and I always forget to use it :) Thanks for the reminder.

thanks all, but  Im at a loss.. I used the surface selection tool and yes the car's body becomes highlighted when I select 'bodycolor'

So inside of body color i change the base color to black, the top coat to black, the metallic flakes to Black, and onscreen the color of the car body is black.

But when I render...  its still metallic sliver.....

any last ditch ideas?

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited November 2018

I have no idea about iray shaders but maybe you just need to apply some other shader from the library.

Thats how it usualy works you buy an iray shader set maybe for car paint or what ever and it magicaly changes color.

Or you invest the time and read through those threads for iray settings and learn how this magic works.

I've just searched with google "site:daz3d.com shader iray car" actualy to find some product to suggest but what I found are other threads how to setup all settings for an iray car paint shader.

[Quote]: Best shader for tires

JimmyC_2009 saied:

There is one here on ShareCG : http://www.sharecg.com/v/81214/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/DAZ-Iray-car-related-shader-presets-megapack#
    it is by Tom2099, and it looks like it could be very useful.

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214

Your image shows a very light colored full strength metallic flakes setting as well as a strong white top coat, so I'd start making adjustments to those settings.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,214

Here is a link to some free car paint shader presets you can use to make life easy. There are also car paint shader presets in the free Default Resources that come with Daz Studio.

Thanks, the issue was shader related. When I switched away from IRay the color changed. I'll check out the shaders you sent.