Looking for custom asset development

Hi Daz Forum! 

I only recently discovered Daz studio a few months ago and am now obsessed. In part because I'm an author and my upcoming series of books are very difficult to find good stock photos for. I looked at renders years ago, but they weren't where they are now, and they tended to look a bit chincy on the cover. Low and behold, times change, technology marches on, and rendered characters are the new thing especially for SFF genre books where getting the right character is a matter of either hiring a cover artist or doing a custom photo shoot. To say it gets pricey does not cover it. 

Fortunately, cover artists have caught up and begun incorporating rendered characters into book covers in a much more seamless way. I designed my own character for an upcoming series and she looks UNBELIEVABLE; espeically after the photoshop treatment. 

The thing is, from time to time, we run into an issue of finding just the right accessories, just the right outfit, just the right bits and pieces to really bring the character vision to life. In the past, when this was an issue, I'd hire a photographer and a model or two and work with a costume designer, blah blah. And while I do hate to take money out of those people's pockets, I mean--I can literally dress, pose, simulate, even get the character's hair just right (a nightmare in a photoshoot); there's really no contest in terms of utility, not when renders can be so close to real, and so perfect with the right treatment on a cover to make it look painted. 

What I'm looking for are artists to develop custom outfits, accessories, etc., paid of course, to then license to me and my production team. It doesn't have to be exclusive, I'm happy for you to also be selling stuff on the Daz shop (I think that's how that works?) we'll just fund the development of assets in exchange for the right to use them. I'm not really concerned about characters as I've got a good handle on that part; it's making them look just right that's the trick. Textures and clothing are the big ones, hair sometimes is. There are a lot of assets available, but there is infinite room for more!

If you're available to create custom assets, I'd love to know, and I'm also happy to pass names around to other authors and designers who are always looking for this kind of work. What I don't know is anything about what designers typically charge for this kind of commissioned work. I'd be very interested to know what kind of rates artists would be charging for quality work and what the variables are (my assumption is that rigged clothing, dforce ready clothing, etc., is more complicated--I haven't yet gotten into learning to create my own assets yet; good idea to find pros to pay, rather than take potentially a year to learn a new skill when I could be writing.)

Cheers

B.C. Palmer

This was a recent project for an upcoming YA fantasy romance:

artemis_1_draft.png
1800 x 2700 - 4M

Comments

• GMP 3D Services (old Poserworld) still does custom 3D modeling: https://gmp3d.com/

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,799

It would probably help to know what sort of outfits and accessouires you are looking for. One thing is that someone actually might know if something of your interest is already available here, on other sites or even as a freebie. Maybe just needs some tweaking, there is a lot around, its surpriosing to find things I've never seen here before even after years of buying stuff here.

The other part with knowing what you want is that people interested think they might be able to make it, maybe if it could be done with amrvelous designer or if it need modelling in hexagon/blender /whatnot. how detailed the textures need to be etc.