2 questions about Carrara 8.5 and DS4.6 compatibility.

AntaraAntara Posts: 444
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Question1: Did I hallucinate, or was it mentioned somewhere that Carrara 8.5 Pro should be able to handle micro-displacement similarly to the way DAZ Studio does? Should we be able to use the displacement maps in a similar way to DS? If so, is there a special way to go about it? Special settings? Special imports?

Question2: I thought we should be able to save a scene in DS4.6 and then open the *.duf file in Carrara. Is that correct?
If it is, then I just found a bug, in which the *.duf opening scrambles up a bunch of objects. Should I be saving it differently somehow? or opening it differently (the objects get deformed both when I open the *.duf file and when I first create a new file in Carrara and then try to import the *.duf file)

Attached are images from DS and Carrara (in Carrara, look at the Kids4 hands and the clothing items on V4: they are way off and the distance is compensated by stretching some polygons into "noodles").

DS4.6SceneOpenedInCarrara_.JPG
1385 x 756 - 129K
DS4.6Scene_.JPG
911 x 910 - 126K

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,930
    edited December 1969

noodles? you call those 'noodles' ? :)
    sorry I am not smart enough to figutre out daz studio ;0

but it looks like your limits have been turnedd off on the bottom image.
    if you move a bone a very slight amount do they snap back into place (ie are they 'denoodled"?)
    sometimes happens for me in cararra 8,1 - ie geting the limits back.

• AntaraAntara Posts: 444
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, it doesn't snap back. It continues moving in this messed up state :(

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I didn't notice any significant improvements to displacement in the public beta, and there isn't any mention of changes since then.

• Philemo_CarraraPhilemo_Carrara Posts: 1,175
    edited December 1969

Antara said:
    Question1: Did I hallucinate, or was it mentioned somewhere that Carrara 8.5 Pro should be able to handle micro-displacement similarly to the way DAZ Studio does? Should we be able to use the displacement maps in a similar way to DS? If so, is there a special way to go about it? Special settings? Special imports?

When I look in Carrara tech spec, it says in the Vertex modeling section : Displacement & Microdisplacement Mapping (pro only)

Now, that being said, I haven't found yet how to use Microdisplacement :-(

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Since when has that been there? If they've improved displacement since the 8.5 beta, this update might be worth buying despite the issues with Genesis/DSON...

edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    Since when has that been there?

I don't know, just found it today.

If they've improved displacement since the 8.5 beta, this update might be worth buying despite the issues with Genesis/DSON...

Oh yes, it would :-)
    edited December 1969

Philemo said:
    araneldon said:
    Since when has that been there?

I don't know, just found it today.

After a quick google search, it appears it's been in the specs since Carrara 5 :-(

let's forget it...

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,250
    edited December 1969

One of the "Known Issues" (listed in the Carrara 8.5 ReadMe) is that more than one pre-Genesis figure in a DUF doesn't work properly. Something like that, anyways.