2 GPU's but only 1 GPU + CPU is beeing used (CPU not selected)

xXQuatroXxxXQuatroXx Posts: 173
edited November 2018 in New Users

HI all,

Lately im having a problem where both GPU's aren't beeing used.

I'm not about the V-Ram of the card that has the lowest V-Ram. im with in the limits of the lowest card.

Using a 980Ti and a 1080Ti (non SLI)

Nvidia Drivers are on 416.34

Both GPU's are selected with in Daz3d incl. optix. CPU has not been selected. 

During the render process the it's not shown that it's beeing diverted to CPU. (it would do this if the scene is to big and doesn't fit with in the V-ram limits)

When i render and go in to task manager i see that my CPU and GPU of the 980Ti is beeing used.

When i change my monitor to the 1080Ti card i got the same but then shows CPU and 1080Ti is beening used.

Any idea what the issue is here?

Thanks in advance.

Post edited by xXQuatroXx on

Comments

• KeyKey Posts: 19

I have almost same issue. There is a single GPU Nvidia 1060 and that is selected but its using 100% CPU as well. Which causes freezing issue on my laptop. Even though its not selected for both photoreal devices and interactive devices..

The same issue happened quite a few times in past and restarting Daz Studio fixed it but this time its not working. Its still uses CPU after restart.. It usually happens when there are quite a few stuff to render. Simple renders with only character, HDRI or few props are working fine.

Any suggestion?

• xXQuatroXxxXQuatroXx Posts: 173
    edited November 2018

Hi Key, this is something different. My question is purely about 2 gpu's and why its showing that cpu is beeing used and only 1 gpu while both gpu are selected and all is within the vram of the lowest card.

Your issue has to do with the vram of your card. Your card has 6gb and 1280 cuda cores. Cuda cores are for how quick your render will be. And 1280 isnt all that mucb. You probebly wont be able to render in 1080p if you want to keep your render times low. But now your issue. The thing is. Your vram. If the scene is above the internal memory of the videocard the daz3d will select your cpu automaticly.

A few things your can fix here. Make sure at render setting. Render quality is on 1 and subD render of your model is on 2 or 1. The higher the subD the more detail. The more detail the more vram is beeing used. Also it depends strongly on if your arent zoomed in to much on the model. If you jave an HD model and zoomed in to much on her face with an high subD and only and HDRI bg and some clothing your chances are thay its to much for your card to handle. You can use "scene optimizer" fix a few things. Other then that your are limited to your cards vram.

about your screen lagging. This is also due to rendering with your videocard. Nothing you can realy do about that but it help when opening explorer full screne. It reduces some how the lagging with the mouse

• xXQuatroXxxXQuatroXx Posts: 173
    edited November 2018

And on a further note.

I do not recommend using a laptop for rendering.

Your videocard produces an enormous amount of heat during rendering.This heat is constant.

Unlike gaming where features of the gpu arent always used in a constant way.

So make sure your laptop is not on a surfaces that attracts heat. And the fans of your laptop have enough room to breath. But forsure if you do this on a daily basis there is a risk of decreasing the life span of your laptop.

Laptops simply aren't build for rendering.

Best is to buy a PC with enough cooling.

16Gb ram, is OK, 32GB ram good, 64 or above recommended.

CPU, if you aren't rendering with CPU then i5 CPU should do fine. Any starting from 3rd generation.

Get 2 video cards if you are rendering on daily basis or more times within a week.

Card for fast rendering in 4K are 1080Ti or 980Ti (Can be combined too*)

*If both cards are use for rendering the card with the lowest vram is your memory limitation. The card with the highest vram only helps with the cuda cores for combining the cuda cores of both cards and gets faster rendering.

So 988Ti 8GB vram / 1080Ti 11 Vram, if both are used for rendering 8GB of Vram is what you can work with.

You wil have no such trouble if you are using 2x 1080Ti

Get 1 more card extra card for Diplay. So you don't have the lagging on the screen when rendering.

If you have 3 cards then see what total Watt you need for you power supply.

2 SSD drives, 1 for windows above 200GB, 1 for own choosing to install all the content on for smooth loading and also rendering to the SSD will help.

With this setup your a smooth to go.

• HI all,

Lately im having a problem where both GPU's aren't beeing used.

I'm not about the V-Ram of the card that has the lowest V-Ram. im with in the limits of the lowest card.

Using a 980Ti and a 1080Ti (non SLI)

Nvidia Drivers are on 416.34

Both GPU's are selected with in Daz3d incl. optix. CPU has not been selected. 

During the render process the it's not shown that it's beeing diverted to CPU. (it would do this if the scene is to big and doesn't fit with in the V-ram limits)

When i render and go in to task manager i see that my CPU and GPU of the 980Ti is beeing used.

When i change my monitor to the 1080Ti card i got the same but then shows CPU and 1080Ti is beening used.

Any idea what the issue is here?

Thanks in advance.

I've a 960 4gb and a 1080Ti as you can read in my sign and when the scene don't excedes the V-ram of 960 they work together without problems. Did you tried to check how work the cards during render with gpu-z?
  • KeyKey Posts: 19
    edited November 2018

If the scene is above the internal memory of the videocard the daz3d will select your cpu automaticly.

I just tried to redner a scene with only character and HDRI 4k.. Its still using 100% CPU. These are the details when render started.

Rendering in NVIDIA Iray
    Compiling Shaders - 0/1
    Rendering image
    Rendering...
    Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.2   IRAY   rend progr: CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1060): Processing scene...
    Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.3   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 26.8203 MiB (device 0), 0 B (host)
    Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.3   IRAY   rend stat : Texture memory consumption: 1.05029 GiB (device 0)
    Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.3   IRAY   rend stat : Lights memory consumption: 196 B (device 0)
    Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.3   IRAY   rend stat : Material measurement memory consumption: 0 B (GPU)
    Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.3   IRAY   rend stat : Materials memory consumption: 102.652 KiB (GPU)

Is that texxture memory consuption (1.05GB) is causing this issue? I have rendered over 1GB before with only GPU..  Is there anyway to disable CPU permantantly, even if it renders more slowly but only on GPU.

Thanks for the tips. I will try that.

So make sure your laptop is not on a surfaces that attracts heat. And the fans of your laptop have enough room to breath. But forsure if you do this on a daily basis there is a risk of decreasing the life span of your laptop.

I just do it for fun and learning and only few renders a day sometime.. We have electiricty issues here, so desktop is not even an option for many users/gamers. It was very expensive laptop $1580 . The main purpose was to use Nvidia 1060 with Daz to learn and sometime gaming.

Can you elaborate a bit more as how its decreasing the life span of laptop? Sorry, a newbie here when comes to using graphic cards and rendering.

Thanks

Post edited by Key on
  • What model are you using? What hdri? What type of clothing and hair? and can you show all you render and enviroment settings pls? And have you tried changing the resolution? Changed the subD?
  • And i explained why the laptop my decrease in life span. Due to thr constant amount of heat the gpu is giving. When you are doing a render ... dont you hear the fan blowing a bit harder? And check you tempratures of your system. A gaming laptop isnt for rendering. Sure to play withit a little sure. But i wont recommend to render in 4k. If you are learning then first try 720p. Rendering will be much much faster en get results quicker. If you are happy and getting better you can start with higher res. Like 1080p. 4k...with a 1060. Hmmm wonder what the render time would be. Only hdri and a model... between 2 and 4 hours if your lucky.. can be even 8 hours. For a single pic to render
  • Are you sure cpu us unselected in the nvidia render settings in daz3d? And only gpu?