Are ALL things DUF supposed to work in C8.5 - Country Kitchen

kakmankakman Posts: 225
edited September 2013 in Carrara Discussion

It is most likely something simple that I am missing but, are all things DUF supposed to work in C8.5?

The images below show the Country Kitchen loaded in C8.5.

The first screen grab is Gourand and the second is WIre.

I can not possibly see through all the "lines" to begin to be able to use this.

Please note that the Poser version loads as "normal".

Any information/instructions would be very welcome.

Country_Kitchen_-_Wire.png
1680 x 1050 - 290K
Country_Kitchen_-_Gourand.png
1680 x 1050 - 329K
Post edited by kakman on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249
    edited December 1969

Those lines are bones from rigging. In this situation, I would prefer to use the Poser version.
    I know that 8.5 brought us a lot more import-ability than just Genesis via DUF. However, I still like to use the tried and true Poser versions for scenery/prop type items. But that's currently due to a lack of experience on my behalf. Someone else may have an entirely different take on things.

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

Those lines are bones from rigging. In this situation, I would prefer to use the Poser version.
    I know that 8.5 brought us a lot more import-ability than just Genesis via DUF. However, I still like to use the tried and true Poser versions for scenery/prop type items. But that's currently due to a lack of experience on my behalf. Someone else may have an entirely different take on things.

I guess it is similar to the ANNOYING skeleton that keeps getting in my way anytime I try and use Genesis or Genesis 2.

I remember awile back that someone had a way to make the Genesis bones either invisible or not as prominent/distracting. I think it was a bit of a PITA though.

Thanks for the information, Dart.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited September 2013

Yea, I trimmed down a daz DUF scene to genesis and one luthbel outfit, and it failed to import. I think better time is spent working on Carrara items, and starting in Carrara, than bothering with DUF import anyway,

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
    edited December 1969

kakman said:

I guess it is similar to the ANNOYING skeleton that keeps getting in my way anytime I try and use Genesis or Genesis 2.

I remember awile back that someone had a way to make the Genesis bones either invisible or not as prominent/distracting. I think it was a bit of a PITA though.

Thanks for the information, Dart.

Yes, it is not only a PITA, but it also makes it so that they cannot be manipulated! I went through my whole model, making those bones disappear - only to then find that I could not rotate them! Argh! Keep on NOT remembering how todo that! ;)

Yea, I trimmed down a daz DUF scene to genesis and one luthbel outfit, and it failed to import. I think better time is spent working on Carrara items, and starting in Carrara, than bothering with DUF import anyway,Well that certainly is my workflow, to be certain. Which, unfortunately, has been keeping me from using (and trying) Daz Studio. Something I really want to get used to using.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

I say, don't go there.

Once you start trying other programs, you start comparing and wanting this and that feature in a single program, then you get mad why can't one program just have the Poser this, DS that, Vue the other, a little bit of Blender and Carrara the rest!!!!! ARGH!!!

edited December 1969

LOL!!!
    No worries there, my friend!
    You'll get to know me in time... Nothing can make me feel blue about my Carrara and it's already amazing amount of incredible abilities!!!

What I mean is that I want to enhance my professional workflow using the incredible tools that are available via Daz Studio Pro's CCTs. Not that long ago (oh no, Dart's got that "I'm talking now" look on his face again!), Head Wax and Roygee taught me Wendy's trick on taking objs and having them conform to figures in Carrara. It's amazingly simply to get quick results, painstakingly time consuming to do really, really well. CCT in Daz Studio Pro can do the same thing. It's like - the same thing! The only caveat being that DS gives us the opportunity to save or export the end result as a supporting figure, and conforming cloth or hair, or whatever - for use in other software that can load and use DSON. Well, it may even be able to export as a Conforming CR2. I've exported CR2 from DS before, but not from the newest versions.

So anyways, following the DAZ 3D instructions, much like the "Smoothing/Collision" video you've linked to in the other thread, we can easily - and I mean easily create anything we want for Genesis, Genesis 2, Daz Horse 2, etc., etc., by modeling in the assembly room, like I demonstrate very briefly in this video, export and import back into DS - going back and fourth to create stunning new material.

Also, I would like to get back into playing with animate 2 in making custom aniBlocks again. It's been far too long :)

• FenricFenric Posts: 351
    edited December 1969

To get rid of the skeleton display: select the part, go to the "Effects" tab, and un-check "Display Wireframe When Attached". You'll have to do this for each part, so it is annoying.

edited December 1969

Suddenly re-reading your post, I may have misinterpreted.
    And I agree. One of the lovely things about what Carrara has been since version 5 Pro, is how well it can handle what you need to do. Poser has the walk designer and cloth sim. Carrara 5 Pro enabled us to import that stuff. Now Carrara 8.5 can import stuff from the latest Daz Studio. But it can also import 3ds and other popular stuff as well.

Still. Don't worry. I've been blissfully happy with Carrara's current lineup of abilities. That's not to say that I don't dream of more. ;)

edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    To get rid of the skeleton display: select the part, go to the "Effects" tab, and un-check "Display Wireframe When Attached". You'll have to do this for each part, so it is annoying.
    Right. That's the one to forget! Because when you're done, the bone is unworkable!
    edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    Right. That's the one to forget! Because when you're done, the bone is unworkable!

Huh? It still works, you just don't have the stupid bone drawn over the top of your figure anymore.

Ok... you can't pick the joint by trying to guess where it is in the 3D view and clicking. You shouldn't do that anyway: always select things from the scene tree because of the endlessly annoying "move the world in an un-undoable fashion" bug that will bite you if you don't.

Untitled-1.jpg
    1010 x 614 - 229K
    edited December 1969

Perfect!
    I'm coming back to this thread tomorrow. Perhaps I did it a different way?
    I always prefer selecting from the pallet instead of clicking. Mice are cute, but unpredictable. ;)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Perfect!
    I'm coming back to this thread tomorrow. Perhaps I did it a different way?
    I always prefer selecting from the pallet instead of clicking. Mice are cute, but unpredictable. ;)

It may have been the Hide in 3D view checkbox you're thinking of. I seem to recall trying that with C7.2 and having that issue with my own Carrara rigs.

edited December 1969

Yup. I bet you're right ;)

• ProPoseProPose Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

Fenric said:

A plugin would be nice - something like this...

select the figure ..... Edit > Fenric > Hide Skeleton or Hide Bones

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I feel about shoes (not mean high heel problem,,) and gloves,,

when I apply poze preset.duf dragged and apply , Actor which loaded as duf scene with other prop,
    it perfectly move and cause problems,,, ^^;

I can apply same poze preset, about same scene.duf, without problem in daz studio.
    And sorry,, I have not adjusted any light or material,, just tried to apply poze.duf
    from smart content pane, in Carrara 8

Actuall "Shifting Image" new armor sets is really cool items,,
    I can recommend much the item must be
    one of your favorite gen2female armor,,,(I like his work very much, many morph ,, good materials,, etc,,)

Is there good work flow? Or If I set up Genesis2F and clothing, from scratch again,
    then apply poze.duf in Carrara , can better work?

I often think ,, which is better, to use duf files in Carrara,
    load each items and genesis in Carrara,, and Can I save the scene in Cararra,
    which loaded as duf, then tweaked in Carrara,
    after that Can I use the scene, as same as daz studio?
    (apply other duf poze, apply duf accessory etc,,)

of course I understand I can not use the cararra file in daz studio.

shiftimage.JPG
    627 x 470 - 83K
    edited December 1969

ProPose said:
    Fenric said:

I've got a prototype working

edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    ProPose said:
    Fenric said:

I know that I keep saying this - but you are absolutely amazing. I am ready to buy that, NOW!

Thank you Fenric, for all that you do.

edited December 1969

Fastest turnaround ever: the wait is over...

ChangeBoneVisibility.jpg
    650 x 913 - 218K
    edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    Fastest turnaround ever: the wait is over...

Got it. LOVE it. Fenric, you are the best.

Thanks again!

edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    ProPose said:
    Fenric said:

Thanks Man!!! Totally Awesome

edited December 1969

I get this when I invoke the command

Capture.PNG
    580 x 255 - 42K
    edited December 1969

Windows or Mac, 32 or 64 bit?

What part of the figure did you have selected? Try having a real bone selected, not either of the "Genesis" nodes and not the "Actor"

edited December 1969

Fenric said:

What part of the figure did you have selected? Try having a real bone selected, not either of the "Genesis" nodes and not the "Actor"

Win 64bit
    C8.5 Pro
    i7 3820
    32 GB ram
    GeForce 550Ti

Pelvis selected as in your promo

edited December 1969

Well, that's pretty close to the machine I'm running on, so that isn't the problem.

- Make sure that you copied the right version of the plugin into your Carrara Extensions directory.

- Re-install the Visual C++ 2012 runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679 Make sure you install the 64-bit version.

edited December 1969

Fenric said:

Try having a real bone selected, not either of the "Genesis" nodes and not the "Actor"

Fenric,

Does it do anything untoward if I invoke the utility with the SECOND "Genesis" node or the "Actor" selected?

On my system (Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Carrara 8.5 Pro 64-bit) the utility works fine with those selections.

Just wondering.

Thanks and thanks again for another great plug-in.

edited December 1969

I have had reports of odd behavior in the past when people pick those upper level items, but I have never personally had any trouble with it.

The odd thing is that ShUtilities is an internal Carrara module, not one of mine. Normally, a fatal in my code gets Carrara to show the amazingly terse message "An error has occurred" and nothing else.

It looks more like he installed the 32-bit code on a 64-bit system, but I would expect a message more along the lines of "the module could not be loaded" rather than the message he did get.

edited December 1969

Fenric said:
    Well, that's pretty close to the machine I'm running on, so that isn't the problem.

- Make sure that you copied the right version of the plugin into your Carrara Extensions directory.

- Re-install the Visual C++ 2012 runtime: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679 Make sure you install the 64-bit version.

I did as you suggested, re-installed Visual C++ 2012 runtime.
    I also re-downloaded your product - thinking that maybe something got mixed up in the transfer.
    Installed it to my laptop this time
    Win7Pro 64bit
    i7 2630QM
    8 GB ram
    GTX 560m - 3 GB

Same error as before

I have all your other plug-ins and all work fine, except this one

edited December 1969

Grasping at straws here, because you're on very nearly the same system as me and I can't cause that error while trying.

Are you getting that immediately, or do you see the option dialog first?

Double-check that the Carrara splash screen says "Carrara 8.5 Pro build 243 (64-bit)"

How are you loading Genesis? From Smart Content or from the general content tab? Try the general content instead of smart.

edited September 2013

Actually on my laptop I don't use DIM or CMS So I do load Genesis via the content tab. I wiped out my previous install of C8.5 and did a complete re-install of C8.5 build 243 and all your plugs. It's a mystery to me too. I'd like to try in C8.1 but That isn't going to work anyway cause it's only for C8.5

edit to add

goes to the error immediately

Post edited by ProPose on
    edited September 2013

Ok, that makes it look like the dialog resource (.dat/.txt) is failing to load for some reason...

Edit: ARGH. Ok, I know what it is - fix will be out soon.

You don't have "Pose and Shading Tools 3", and when I cut and paste the code from that product into this, I forgot to change the resource ID, so it's trying to load the dialog from the "Set Figure Visibility" command in that product.

EDIT2: Yup, removing "Duplicator.dat" causes the error you reported. I've uploaded the fix, version 1.1

Post edited by Fenric on