New Carrara Product and PhilW Store Sale

PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,140
edited September 2013 in Carrara Discussion

It is my turn for the PA Sale day today, and in addition to my whole store being on sale (http://www.daz3d.com/philw) - full of Carrara products, and up to 50% off if you buy three or more items - I have also launched a new and extensive virtual set Carrara Fantasy Village (http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-fantasy-village). This is a complete village environment for fantasy and historical renders and has lots of detail such as "real" thatched roofs, objects throughout the scene to give it that "lived in" feel, right through to stones and leaves on the ground. I hope you will enjoy it!

VillagePromo2.jpg
1200 x 600 - 170K
Post edited by PhilW on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,250
    edited December 1969

Oh that is SO mine! Very cool Phil!

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

to many horns - all over - not me .

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,140
    edited September 2013

bigh said:

If it is just the horns that bother you, I put them in a separate group so they can be easily hidden or deleted to get a more "historical" rather than fantasy look. Everything is logically grouped for that purpose and to achieve a range of different looks. And feel free to save and re-use any of the many items included.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    bigh said:

If it is just the horns that bother you, I put them in a separate group so they can be easily hidden or deleted to get a more "historical" rather than fantasy look. Everything is logically grouped for that purpose and to achieve a range of different looks. And feel free to save and re-use any of the many items included.

thanks for the info - good to know

• waxfin_c9ea3eab69waxfin_c9ea3eab69 Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

thanks PhilW, in the cart, your stuff is always superb!

edited December 1969

headwax said:
    thanks PhilW, in the cart, your stuff is always superb!

Thank you - I hope you enjoy it!

edited December 1969

PhilW said:
    bigh said:

If it is just the horns that bother you, I put them in a separate group so they can be easily hidden or deleted to get a more "historical" rather than fantasy look. Everything is logically grouped for that purpose and to achieve a range of different looks. And feel free to save and re-use any of the many items included.Of course it is! It's a Phil W! :)
    I really like how you do that. I've learned so much from you - videos and products.

edited December 1969

My first - simply getting to know what's all in here - which is a lot.
    Okay here's what's going on with me on this:
    First of all, I consider PhilW and friend and mentor. I learn a lot from buying his stuff and digging through it all - as his English Village, this one packs a wallop of a lot of details and techniques to learn from - plus it's just plain Cool!!!
    But now there's also evilproducer's Fantasy Village for Carrara. Another whom I like to learn from.
    I immediately imagined using both together as a kit - or set of kits, since each is an entire kit all their own.
    Now, going through this one, I see how this is exactly what I was hoping for - for both artists go about things, although similarly, differently.
    Both use very "Carrara - Advantage" techniques toward building the scene. Also they both pack an amazing amount of detail in - and, perfectly, both are so different that together they combine to make an enormous collection of medieval or fantasy scenery. As far as I can tell so far, they'll both match up perfectly, appearance wise. Did you two collaborate on this?

PW_FantasyVill1a.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 571K
    edited December 1969

Oh... right.
    I was going to say that, for the above image, all I did was to have a quick look around, without moving the default camera, and shoot the render - except that I set GC @ 2.2 from 1.4
    I probably should have tried the default first, but, paint me silly.
    Wow is there a lot of stuff in here. Really cool.
    Instead of making you get a bunch of smaller kits, and weave them together, this is the whole village. So you can go in, set up your scene, and selectively remove or hide the stuff you don't need. Of course, it's a PhilW - meaning that this technique is entirely simply, due to everything being beautifully labeled!
    Bravo PhilW! I love it!

edited September 2013

Hi Dart - no, we did not collaborate. I have actually been working on this for almost a year (not continuously you understand!), but never got around to finishing it until recently.

Anyway, I thought it would be fun to relocate the village into a woodland environment, so here is a render in which I loaded one of the wonderful EnvironKit-Woodlands sets by Dartanbeck himself (love that encroaching fog!) and then simply imported the Carrara Fantasy Village into it and moved a couple of things around to fit the view. The lighting is from Dart's set but I tweaked it to make it a little brighter and used some gamma too. Despite the large number of replicators and the detail involved, this rendered in 45 mins.

I have also uploaded a panning shot of the Village on my YouTube channel (http://youtu.be/UTeU7XaEh5c) which I hope shows the extent and detail included in the set.

Village_in_Woodlands_Final.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 338K
    Post edited by PhilW on
    edited September 2013

Just to add that when I submitted the product, I included a few notes to help users as it is such a "heavy" scene, and I'm not quite sure where these ended up, so I will repeat them below to make sure that people are aware.

Due to the large scene and use of replicators, the scene can be somewhat unresponsive, particularly when panning the camera (rotations and zooms seem to be OK). It is recommended to switch to Bounding Box previews when editing the scene, then change to Flat or better preview to see your scene. Replicators and the distant hills have been switched not to preview in the Assemble room, but will still render as intended.

Similarly, if including figures, it is best to set them up separately, including clothing and posing them. When ready, save the character (or group including clothes, hair etc) as an object, or you can delete any lights and cameras and save them as a Carrara scene, then load the Fantasy Village scene and Import your saved figures. Again it is best to switch to Bounding Box previews when positioning the characters in the scene. The main terrain level is set to zero height, so figures should be standing on the ground as standard.

Note that due to the use of replicators, these can take a while to calculate before the actual rendering starts, this is normal, and the actual rendering speed has been optimised for fast results as well as realism.

Post edited by PhilW on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited September 2013

Hey Dart, as Phil says, we didn't collaborate. Though maybe I should have trade marked the name! :lol:

Looks great Phil!

Post edited by evilproducer on
    edited December 1969

Dartanbeck and Rosie, on the trail, find the village deserted. But the smoke still in the pit denotes that it hasn't been so for long.

RT-DT-OnTheTrail.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 622K
    edited September 2013

PhilW said:
    I thought it would be fun to relocate the village into a woodland environment, so here is a render in which I loaded one of the wonderful EnvironKit-Woodlands sets by Dartanbeck himself (love that encroaching fog!) and then simply imported the Carrara Fantasy Village into it and moved a couple of things around to fit the view.
    Wow, does THAT looks Cool!!! Thanks for showing this!
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

Hey Dart, as Phil says, we didn't collaborate. Though maybe I should have trade marked the name! :lol:

Looks great Phil!

Yeah, sorry, I should have spotted that!

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

PhilW said:

Looks great Phil!

Yeah, sorry, I should have spotted that!

No worries. It's a descriptive name, if not particularly imaginative. I include myself in that as well. :lol:

Now, about those royalties... ;-)