Strides in Photo-Realism?

124»

Comments

• Greg,

Yes, huge improvement! in every regard.

Generally speaking normal maps look better than bump maps. Bump maps always add dark shading to create height differences, whereas normal can use both dark shading and highlighting..generally captures the look but in a much more subtle way. Skin, eyes, and hiar all look much better.

For now I'd say try avoiding anything that at all rleates to Poser native rendering options, in case they break anything regarding cycles.

Moving in the right direction.

• Greg,

Generally speaking normal maps look better than bump maps. Bump maps always add dark shading to create height differences, whereas normal can use both dark shading and highlighting..generally captures the look but in a much more subtle way. Skin, eyes, and hiar all look much better.

For now I'd say try avoiding anything that at all rleates to Poser native rendering options, in case they break anything regarding cycles.

Rashad, I am having an issue using Normal maps in Octane Standalone.  Bump maps look great, but Normal maps barely show.  My skin shader is pure specular, but even if I mix it with a gloss material I get same results.  Normal maps applied to gloss material works great.  

Greg, your results are better, but for softer skin and better ambient occlusion, try DAZ Studio and Iray. 

• Ambient occlusion is supposed to be built into Poser's global illumination function, but there's also a node for it that I could try.  Anyway, here's another test of my latest textures/shaders, and I have one more in the pipeline.

• no noseno nose Posts: 300
    Gregorius said:

Ambient occlusion is supposed to be built into Poser's global illumination function, but there's also a node for it that I could try.  Anyway, here's another test of my latest textures/shaders, and I have one more in the pipeline.

Looks great, though something about the lips feels off

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    no nose said:
    Gregorius said:

Ambient occlusion is supposed to be built into Poser's global illumination function, but there's also a node for it that I could try.  Anyway, here's another test of my latest textures/shaders, and I have one more in the pipeline.

Second that, quite an improvement!

• no nose said:

I think that's the SSS, GI, or a combination of the two.  I'm tinkering with material-based AO to mitigate it, but the problem I keep running into is that I can't get the AO where I need it without having it also inhibit the SSS/translucence elsewhere.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,874
    edited November 2018

Below is a simple Daz Studio iray render of Alexandra 8 HD

https://www.daz3d.com/alexandra-8

https://www.daz3d.com/alexandra-8-hd-add-on

I do not think, Poser can use HD characters, as far as I know.

Alexadra32pic07.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 318K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Siciliano1969Siciliano1969 Posts: 433
    edited November 2018

Gregorius, the skin looks much softer and you are on the right track.  I have not used Poser in years so I'm not sure...have not seen alot of realistic Poser renders.  I am sure someone could probably easily prove me wrong.  Here is one I found on the internet.  While this link is only a head shot please be mindful that the author has other renders in his/her gallery that contain nudity. 

https://www.deviantart.com/qoolman/art/Am-I-Real-366794442

The render has the soft skin look that I think you are trying to achieve.  

Post edited by Siciliano1969 on
  • jaxprogjaxprog Posts: 312

Gregorius. People who don't use Daz Studio, don't know what it does, see an image that one has created, these people are like Dorothy and Toto standing before great Wizard. On the other hand, you the artist, you are the Wizard behind the curtain. You know all the details and because of that knowledge you may over-analyze the criticism of your own work. Nothing wrong with that because it helps you raise the bar and achieve higher standards.

The rest of world however won't necessarily get the piont of appreciation to level of your high standards. They look our work and say, "Yeah, that's nice.", "Cool", or "It looks like a photo." ...but they'll never arrive to where you are and what it took for you to get there. They see our images and relate  based what they presently know, understand and experience. For example, if they want to make a cool image all they have to do is whip out their smart phone and click. Here look at my image? What do you think? Looks just your image, doesn't it?

In order to recieve real authentic appreciation, it takes another real authentic artist to truly appreciate the work you put it into it. The rest of the world just doesn't have time to really pay attention so all they can say is, "Yeah, looks like a photo. I can do that too. Say Cheese."  Click.

• Well, here's another update to an earlier render testing the latest tweaks!  Jaxprog, that's an interesting way of looking at the topic  I'm not really after appreciation for its own sake, though I certainly welcome it when it's offered.  I'm more interested in the flexibility that comes with being able to create photo-realistic images without any of the hassle or limitations of real-world photography (well, that, and just a sense of accomplishment).

As for skin softness, it's only a goal insofar it aids in realism.  In fact, in my view, it's rather easy to overdo SSS/translucence effects in a hypercorrective attempt to avoid the dreaded plastic look, thus ending up with the more impressive but ultimately still unrealistic wax look. 

• Greg,

Rashad, I am having an issue using Normal maps in Octane Standalone.  Bump maps look great, but Normal maps barely show.  My skin shader is pure specular, but even if I mix it with a gloss material I get same results.  Normal maps applied to gloss material works great.  

Greg, your results are better, but for softer skin and better ambient occlusion, try DAZ Studio and Iray. 

Generally normal maps are more subtle than bump maps. Try increasing the power on this normals maps and see if you like the results better.

• Greg,

Generally normal maps are more subtle than bump maps. Try increasing the power on this normals maps and see if you like the results better.

Thanks Rashad, yeah I have to bump the normal maps power very high in order to see some detail and then I start to see artifacting.  Works great with gloss material, but not the specular.  Thanks!

• Gregorius said:

Well, here's another update to an earlier render testing the latest tweaks!  Jaxprog, that's an interesting way of looking at the topic  I'm not really after appreciation for its own sake, though I certainly welcome it when it's offered.  I'm more interested in the flexibility that comes with being able to create photo-realistic images without any of the hassle or limitations of real-world photography (well, that, and just a sense of accomplishment).

As for skin softness, it's only a goal insofar it aids in realism.  In fact, in my view, it's rather easy to overdo SSS/translucence effects in a hypercorrective attempt to avoid the dreaded plastic look, thus ending up with the more impressive but ultimately still unrealistic wax look. 

Gregorius, you are trying for realism correct?  I agree with you, but I think I would rather risk the wax type of skin material that I could tweak a bit to look right vs a solid plastic look.  I applaud you for hanging in there...keep trying and it will pay off! 

• And here's a strictly technical test render, with no fancy poses, expressions, or hair.

• And here's a mid-range shot of a nerdy, freckled redhead showing off her current skin.

• Gregorius said:

Well, here's another update to an earlier render testing the latest tweaks!  Jaxprog, that's an interesting way of looking at the topic  I'm not really after appreciation for its own sake, though I certainly welcome it when it's offered.  I'm more interested in the flexibility that comes with being able to create photo-realistic images without any of the hassle or limitations of real-world photography (well, that, and just a sense of accomplishment).

And here's a strictly technical test render, with no fancy poses, expressions, or hair

And here's a mid-range shot of a nerdy, freckled redhead showing off her current skin.

What did you change when posting? I cannot see any of your three latest pictures.

• GregoriusGregorius Posts: 397
    edited November 2018

What did you change when posting? I cannot see any of your three latest pictures.

Well, I did start uploading the images to an external host rather then letting Daz host them, but I began doing that more than three renders ago.  If you can see the extreme close-up of the brown-haired, aquamarine-eyed girl, I can't imagine why you're not seeing the others.  Is anyone else having this problem?

In the meantime, I've uploaded a similarly framed render with the same textures/shaders to Renderosity.

Post edited by Gregorius on
  • This thread seems to have died down, but for whatever it's worth, here's an updated Elvis portrait.

• GregoriusGregorius Posts: 397
    edited September 2019

This is me trying one more time to resurrect this thread.  It's been a while, and I think there's been some significant developments in my technique.  Here's a sample of my current best.

Debby3TM2.jpg
    900 x 900 - 593K
    Post edited by Gregorius on
  • Hi! There's a thread about IRay and photo realism here: https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/313401/iray-photorealism/p1. I don't use IRay but I find it very interesting nevertheless:) You might want to have a look and possibly pick up a few ideas...

• Thanks.  I happened upon that thread, but I decided not to post there because I don't use IRay either.  I use Cycles via Poser SuperFly.