Shadows - how to make smoother

jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140
edited September 2013 in Carrara Discussion

I am working on a scene and have some problems with shadows. There is a lot of "dirt" in the render and I am not sure which setting to change.

An enlarged copy of one section is shown to illustrate the problem. Here are some scene details:

Scene:
Ambient light: 5% (white)
HDRI background @200% intensity
One spotlight, shining on area @30% brightness (white). Shadow intensity 70%. Enable soft shadows is on. Light radius .55in, "good" quality. Shadow bias 20%

Item is basically a simple block with a gray "plastic" shader. Type is created in the spline editor and then placed on top of (partially into) the block. Type has a white plastic shader.

Render:
Final output size - 3200px x 4400px
Raytracing - all items checked except "compatibility shadows mode and gamma correction
Antialiasing: good
Object Accuracy: 2 px
Shadow Accuracy: 2px
Skylight: intensity 100%
Indirect Light: Intensity 100% (full indirect lighting)

I have played with some of the render settings, but there seems to be no effect. Am I lighting the scene incorrectly, or just not adjusting the correct setting?

screen1.jpg
934 x 519 - 47K
Post edited by jrm21 on

Comments

• swordkensiaswordkensia Posts: 348
    edited December 1969

In the Global illumination settings there is a setting called 'Interpolation' with a percentage slider by it.

Try adjusting the % up to say 50-100%, or you can disable 'interpolation' altogether by removing the 'tick' in the Interpolation box.

Cheers,

S.K.

• jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140
    edited December 1969

Bingo! Interpolation off did the trick. Thanks for the help!