Ryzen 2700x good performance in daz3d?

Anyone tested DAZ on the new Ryzen series?

Does DAZ3D utilise all the 8 cores and 16 threads? (All the time not only for render)

Setting up some HUGE scenes is impossible on my old quadcore. The lagg is so extreme it's not possible to work with the scene.

How does DAZ3D run on Ryzen with big complex scenes? Smooth?

Also is it worth combining GPU(1080ti)+CPU for render or just run GPU only as usual even with 6+ cores dedicated to DAZ?

Any time improvement would be good for me.

Comments

• Most of DS is single threaded, so won't use multiple cores/threads.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255

If you're talking Iray rendering, then yeah, all cores can and will be used for rendering. I have an 8 core/16 thread Ryzen 7 1700 and all cores get utilized if I want. But I never want because it brings my PC to its knees unless I manually disable one of the cores for OS usage. But it's also slower than molasses compared to my 1080ti + 1070.  

And if you add the CPU to a 1080ti render the CPU will make almost negligible difference. I've found my 1080ti renders in about 1/10 the time of my CPU using all cores. So the 1080ti is finishing up the render when the CPU is still thinking about starting. laugh 

Not sure what you're talking about when you say "setting up huge scenes" and "lag". Are you talking about Iray preview mode when manipulating the scene? There are some optimizing settings that can make the response much faster. 

• I have a 2700 and it honestly makes no difference to renders, I think it may have slowed down renders tbh. I think you'd need somethink like a 32 core theadripper to have a chance of making any sort of dent in render time compared to a 1080ti.

• Setting up large scenes requires optimizing(disabling or turning some features down). What some of those things would be I do not know since I'm on a sub-par system at this point and presently only working with very basic scenes.

In my opinion, put your money into another 1080 Ti so you'll have two of them in your system(if its possible). One thing I do know is an additional 1080 Ti would make a much much bigger difference in your render times compared to buying, say for example, an 18+ core CPU.

You can combine GPU+CPU, but with a quad-core CPU, its not going to make much difference. The higher core CPUs will help a little, but for the little extra performance(especially when you get to the 18+ core CPUs), you're paying a lot more money that could be better spent on 1-2 additional GPUs.

• The way Iray works each graphics card has to be able to load all the textures etc. into its own memory so if you exceed the 1080ti's RAM, 11GB, adding a second one does no good. What having 2 graphics cards does is, assuming both can load the whole scene, is allow both to render the scene at the same time cutting the time it takes to render. 

I've never seen or read anything about multiple graphics cards improving any performance aspect of Daz besides rendering. I'm honestly not sure how it could. Running them in SLI wouldn't have any effect since this shouldn't be a framerate issue.

Since I've never had any issue with loading or setting up a scene, except for waiting for one to load, I'm not sure what problems the OP is having. The possible issues are crashing which could be anything and would require knowing the error message. Long loading times which are almost certainly system memory related, Daz run in system memory on the CPU and when you tell it to load a scene or to load an asset it loads it from disk/from the web into system memory first. If that results in being out of memory then the system starts shuffling stuff in memory onto the drive to make room which really hammers performance. Since he says lag is extreme I'm guessing that is what he means as an old quad core system might be running with a minimal amount of RAM as well.

• As you can see on my signature I've a Ryzen 7 2700X etc etc...but I use 3Delight for render (good or bad is a personal choice) and from my "old" AMD Athlon II x4 640 everithing is changed from the obscurity to the light...render of "complex" scenes that with the old pc takes hours now takes just few minutes. With Iray better to let works the GPU... wink

• j1039564j1039564 Posts: 19
    edited October 2018

When I say lagg setting up scene I mean when I'm not rendering.

I mean when I'm editing the scene in wireframe.

It's a problem in HUGE scenes with a lot of objects, immagine a forrest, big detailed house, city or whatever that is massive in detail.

Then even wireframe mode can lag so bad it's impossible to do anything without several secounds delay. Even moving the camera 1 movement freezes for daz for quiet some time.

Only blob or cartoonshader for viewport makes scene workable.

I wonder if DAZ3D does utilize more CPU cores when just running the program to make editing HUGE scenes easier.

Is it really true DAZ3D only use 1 single thread in 2018?!

Post edited by j1039564 on
  • Some tasks lend themselves to multi-threading better than others - it isn't possible to simply take an arbitrary procedure and make it use multiple cores. Basic operation in DS is not multi-threaded, just specific functions, and I suspect that adjusting the optimisation setting in Edit>Preferences>Interface, in the event you haven't already set it to Best, will not do that much good.

• j1039564j1039564 Posts: 19
    edited October 2018

Some tasks lend themselves to multi-threading better than others - it isn't possible to simply take an arbitrary procedure and make it use multiple cores. Basic operation in DS is not multi-threaded, just specific functions, and I suspect that adjusting the optimisation setting in Edit>Preferences>Interface, in the event you haven't already set it to Best, will not do that much good.

Do you know more in detail what is multithreaded?

For example if rendering of wireframe and displaying scene in viewport is multithreaded? Because It seems it's there the bottleneck is.

I have changed most settings and it helps a little but in huge scenes it's still lag, only cartoon shading works. (it's much faster than wireframe)

Post edited by j1039564 on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

It may also be worth considering whether you really NEED all of the objects / details in the image. Lately I've started to realize when building a scene that if you don't see it in the image, I don't need it in the scene hierarchy. I've done images with nothing but a primative plane as the wall. There is no "room". The only furniture, etc, that is needed is what I'm rendering. No ceiling or floor either if they aren't visible in the final image. You can make your lighting simulate windows and lamps that are out of the frame without loading those models as well.

Granted, I still have some scene presets (thinking of one tropical island in particular) that is pretty heavy for my machine right out of the box. Turning off visibility on things that I don't need to see for my current task helps a lot in reducing frustration with screen refresh times.

• ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited October 2018
    JonnyRay said:

It may also be worth considering whether you really NEED all of the objects / details in the image. Lately I've started to realize when building a scene that if you don't see it in the image, I don't need it in the scene hierarchy. I've done images with nothing but a primative plane as the wall. There is no "room". The only furniture, etc, that is needed is what I'm rendering. No ceiling or floor either if they aren't visible in the final image. You can make your lighting simulate windows and lamps that are out of the frame without loading those models as well.

I agree 100%, and have always advocated some sort of "scene management" as the smartest approach to not only rendering scenes, but also to kind of force you to think more about a more artistic approach of leading the viewer's eyes to the important stuff, rather than having an entire complex scene all in focus. That's one of the most basic artistic/compositional tools when making images, and something that's always mentioned whenever you see tutorials on artistic composition. Make the background more out of focus and darker, and the foreground brighter and more in focus, etc. 

And another thing I see is when the artist uses what I call "implied" environments. For example, if you want a bar scene, you generally associate that with darkness, maybe a Miller beer sign, maybe an out of focus juke box in the background, and that's it. That is all you need to immediately define the location for the viewer, without having to add complicated details, etc. Personally, I find one of the most common tip-offs to an "amateurish" render is when everything is in clear focus in an image, with no clear point of interest. I see that constantly. 

I also think the pros tend to break their scenes into many elements and layers, and render them individually (requiring only a little bit of VRAM and resulting in faster renders), and then take those "layers" and do post-production on them individually, and then composite them together for a final image. It gives you tons of control, realtime effects (rather than super slow rendering of stuff like depth of field, etc.), and drastically reduces the hardware requirements. 

So for those who want to rely on their powerful CPU, it provides a way to do that without having to spend big bucks on a GPU.   

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • I went from a AMD 1700X to a 2700X and noticed a slight performance improvement, mostly with multitasking while daz renders. I went from 32 gb ddr4 ram to 48 gb, not to sure if that helped. I have a asus b350 mobo which supports 2 gfx cards. I installed a nvidia 1060ti and a 750ti, enabled all GPUs and CPU in Iray advanced settings and Iray render in almost half the time. Even "intermediate opengl" at 4 x light passes is rocket fast. They key with iray going faster is the "max time (secs)" set it to 15 to 30 seconds and it looks nice to me. 7200 is just insane unless you work for Disney. But they have better toys. I ordered a 1080 ti for the lulz I'm going to conjoin it with my 750ti and see what happens. Maybe the house will burn down? Tacos have a great dane. 

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I use a Threadripper; when the scene fits on my card - great. When it doesn't the Threadripper takes longer, but not by huge amounts.

It drops to CPU often enough (well too often), so something that can handle those times is useful, but unless you know it will be mostly, I wouldn't base buying choices on it.

Ryzen are great CPUs; you can build a nice system based on them.