Portrait Lights 3DL versus IRAY

2»

Comments

• Soft Iray lighting isn't that hard for simple images. The attached simple headshot image (just the character) was done with HDRI off, headlamp off, and two mesh lights made from primitives. (Create primitive, apply DAZ Uber base shader, apply DAZ Uber Emissive shader. Done) It took 46 minutes for a 1000 x 1333 render. (I have an NVIDA card)

Ghost Light is useful for background/set lighting. Since I do mostly i ndoor shots, all the HDRI portrait light sets are pretty useless for me. Even outdoors I keep the Environment light very soft for general fill and use mesh lights for the main lighting.

Reese headshot 800.jpg
    800 x 1066 - 143K
  • Thanks for the feedback.  I'll take a look at that method and see if I can make it work.  ;)

• y3kmany3kman Posts: 765

Speaking of lights, is there an easy of converting 3DL lights as Iray primitives and vice versa?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2018
    y3kman said:

Speaking of lights, is there an easy of converting 3DL lights as Iray primitives and vice versa?

Generally you first choose your render engine, then create lights, that way you make sure they work for the renderer you've selected;)

Regarding emitters, only thing you have to do is apply the proper lightshader to your emissive surface(s). HDRI lighting works for both engines.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on