Skin Texture Issue in DS 4.1

Hello everyone, I was wondering if its something I'm doing or if the vendor might have made a mistake on the character's base skin texture. I've attached two cropped .png screenshots: one is where the character torso texture skin meets the leg texture skin, and the other is where the arm texture skin meets the torso texture skin. As you'll see in the one image, there is a fairly conspicuous seam in the skin base texture which appears on both legs, and the same is true for the arms.

After clearing the scene, reloading the character(the seams are present even at this point), and loading the base texture(HS Yiyi Base Skin) on the Genesis 8 Female Yiyi character, I used the Surface Selection Tool to double check and compare the settings between the Torso, Arms, and Legs textures and there weren't any differences between them that would cause this. I also tried adding 1 Distant Light with default settings, with the exception that I increased the Luminous Flux(Lumens) to 128k, and I did a spot render in Iray of the affected areas and found the seams were still present regardless of the lighting used.

If this is due to an error on the part of the vendor during production of the product, is there a way to contact them and have them correct it? I tried going to the vendor's main page, but there wasn't any contact information. Its a good quality character that goes well with the base texture. It's a shame I can't get rid of the seams. I could just use a different base skin, but it doesn't go well with the character, and creating/modifying skin textures is outside of my "artistic expertise", so to speak. Any pointers or recommendations would be appreciated, thanks!

HSYiyiTL.png
1017 x 432 - 333K
HSYiyiTA.png
625 x 658 - 265K

Comments

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

First, do you mean DS 4.10 or 4.1?

Second, are you using the material presets to load the skin? If you haven't, I would first do that.

If you are loading by hand, there may be a gamma difference; I'll see if I can find something on this for you if someone doesn't answer before I do.

• Sorry, I keep forgetting about the nomenclature used for Daz versions and that 4.1 is not = 4.10. I have 4.10.0.123 Pro build for Windows 7 64-bit.

When it comes to loading the character, I've tried just about everything. I have several other characters(Aiko, Olympia, etc.) and this is the only one I'm having the issue with it's base skin. I also tried the Genesis 8 Basic Female and applied the HS Yiyi 0 Full Apply shape. No seams in the textures until after I applied the Yiyi skin base. I could be wrong, but in my opinion it looks like its more than the gamma. When I zoom in and compare the textures(see attachment below), the torso skin texture looks like it has a higher blur to it compared to the legs & arms. I also noticed that Yiyi does not have any RSL files, which is the first I've seen a character not having these files(not a problem for me since I prefer to work with Iray). There's an HS Yiyi Base Skin.duf option displayed in the upper second left pane when navigating the upper left-most pane in Materials-->Iray-->Skin tabs and also in Materials-->Iray-->Feminine-->Yiyi and Expre... which both refer to the same file/location. Now I'm assuming this DUF file(along with the other three: HS Yiyi Skin Dry.duf, HS Yiyi Skin Natural.duf, and HS Yiyi Skin Wet.duf) are all MDL and not RSL, otherwise I would've expected issues trying to render in Iray.

Anyway, I have a strong suspicion that its Yiyi's base skin texture itself. What do you mean specifically by using the material presets to load the skin? 

I go into Smart Content, then Figures-->People, and double-L-click on Actor HS Yiyi, which loads the character. After loading, the seams are already visible on the character. The only way the seams will disappear is if I use a different skin base texture(i.e. NOT using Yiyi's base skin). The other Material files for Yiyi, HS Yiyi Skin Dry.duf, HS Yiyi Skin Natural.duf, and HS Yiyi Skin Wet.duf do not have any problems that I know of because I can apply those Mats to other skin bases to yield the intended effect without any seams or texture irregularities.

HSYiyiRLT.png
    1426 x 782 - 834K
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,075

I see the same effect in the viewport with YiYi's base skin. It is also appraent in the render window, but less noticable.

I loaded Yiyi Full on the Base G8 then double clicked on the Base Skin. I also see the same effect on the optional skins.

• HamsterHamster Posts: 41

I've checked it over and I'm sorry to say there's truely something wrong with the torso's  map.

I'll fix it right away. Please wait for an update.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151

magog, so far you're being careful enough with your crops so the images don't have to be removed. Keep up the good edits as you get somewhat close to crossing the line.

• Hamster said:

I've checked it over and I'm sorry to say there's truely something wrong with the torso's  map.

I'll fix it right away. Please wait for an update.

Thank you very much, it is appreciated! Just a question on the update: will I need to uninstall and reinstall it or will Daz Install Manager recognize & swap out the affected file(s) when the update is implemented?

magog, so far you're being careful enough with your crops so the images don't have to be removed. Keep up the good edits as you get somewhat close to crossing the line.

I did try to stay away from those areas as much as possible while showing as much as I could from each section where the textures were different. If I were doing female full-nude body shots that in any way include the breast(s), the genital region, and/or the intergluteal cleft, I would still completely blot out the inappropriate areas regardless of whether or not the nipples or genitalia have been applied. Yes, it does look like I was getting quite close on the front legs screenshot in the first post as it was starting to show the inferior portion of the intergluteal cleft. It was much easier shooting it from the front rather than behind(no pun intended) due to how close the seam was to the glutes/glutes crease. blush