Question about Biolight DS

RabeRabe Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I just found the Biolights DS and they look great.
http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/biolight-ds
Now what I'd like to know is : I don't have the jellyfish and I probably won't do any glowing jellyfish renders anytime soon *g*, so are the biolights simply shaders I can use for anything? Or are they usable only for the jellyfish?

Comments

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

I think so, at least I hope so.

• zigraphixzigraphix Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

The Biolight presets are specifically for the jellyfish. They are also supposed to be a freebie, so hold off on that purchase!

But the Shader Mixer network they use is quite simple, and you could adapt it to use on other things. Or, if you tell me what kind of glow shaders you want, I'll make a product.

You do know that DS has an "Area Light" preset already, though, right?

edited December 1969

Aahh ok. What I would like to see is Bio light for everything.

• Orphanslayer69Orphanslayer69 Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

A glowing shader would be amazing for glowing evil eyes.

• RabeRabe Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

zigraphix said:
    The Biolight presets are specifically for the jellyfish. They are also supposed to be a freebie, so hold off on that purchase!

But the Shader Mixer network they use is quite simple, and you could adapt it to use on other things. Or, if you tell me what kind of glow shaders you want, I'll make a product.

Thank You for explaining, so I'll wait patiently for the freebie and start experimenting with area lights.

Post edited by Rabe on
    edited December 1969

I would just use Ambient for eyes, unless you really need them to add light to the scene.

But for other glowing shaders, what would you folks want? Remember, Ambient will "glow" in an otherwise dark scene. A glow shader would be for situations where you actually want the surface to cast light on other elements of the scene.

I could make a special shader that would automatically convert Ambient to Area Lighting, if that would be useful.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255
    edited December 1969

Are the Biolights supposed to be a freebie that remains a freebie? (I notice that the Poser Biolight is a freebie, at least today). If so I'll toss them into the wishlist along with the Jellyfish and pick them up when IgnisSerpens has her day.

Otherwise I suspect it might be best to pick it up now, once the freebie/not freebie issue gets sorted and just hold off downloading int utill I have both.

edited December 1969

Biolight DS will always be a freebie, just as the Poser version is. :) (And it's been fixed in the store now!)

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,255
    edited December 1969

Ah good. I'll put it back in the cart for tomorrow then.

• RabeRabe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks alot for the freebie.

edited December 1969

Indeed thank you.

• zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

I would just use Ambient for eyes, unless you really need them to add light to the scene.

But for other glowing shaders, what would you folks want? Remember, Ambient will "glow" in an otherwise dark scene. A glow shader would be for situations where you actually want the surface to cast light on other elements of the scene.

I could make a special shader that would automatically convert Ambient to Area Lighting, if that would be useful.

Anything that would make it easier to make things glow would be wonderful! I am still having trouble getting glow effects working in daz. Even a tutorial with step by step would help me right now.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,148
    edited December 1969

Bio lighting would come in handy for all sorts of things. Like creating a 3D "DUST" and then applying a bio light to them and using the "dust" as magic dust to create some freaky cool dark scenes with the dust lighting things up around it.

Just an idea...

• none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Thanks zigraphix for the biolight freebie.. I'll have to scout out more underwater stuff to go with it now.

• Orphanslayer69Orphanslayer69 Posts: 96
    edited December 1969

I use the FX Neon Shader that was part of the Supersuit. It works pretty good but what I would like is a hazy sort of glow around the eyes. I can do that in photoshop but I prefer to do it all in one pass if possible.

Madam_Mystery4t.jpg
    500 x 750 - 139K
    edited December 1969

For a hazy glow you'll need a caustic camera.

Would there be interest in a set of "elemental" glow shaders with an accompanying caustic camera?

edited December 1969

Could you elaborate on the elemental part.

edited December 1969

Different themes based on mythological elements like fire, water, etc. Probably a combination of Chinese Feng Shui and the Greek elements. I like this resource for inspiration: http://www.friesian.com/elements.htm

I thought maybe I'd provide some diffuse and displacement along with the glow, to give each element a bit of unique character. Feel free to suggest something else, though.

edited December 1969

Ok that sounds interesting. It sounds useful and fun.

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:
    Different themes based on mythological elements like fire, water, etc. Probably a combination of Chinese Feng Shui and the Greek elements. I like this resource for inspiration: http://www.friesian.com/elements.htm

I thought maybe I'd provide some diffuse and displacement along with the glow, to give each element a bit of unique character. Feel free to suggest something else, though.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Please!

• hawkonthewinghawkonthewing Posts: 136
    edited December 1969

Something like that would be fantastic, I would be interested for sure!

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I was searching on how to make eyes give off a glow in DS and stumbled across this....

Zigraphix, are you still planning on doing some sort of glow shader? I'm not sure if you did and I've missed it, or you're still working on it?

edited December 1969

check out Glow Shader on sharecg by ReDave

I have not tried it so do not know if it will work. I found it today while I was trying to organize my content
    I'm still working on my content too... lol
    I know I'm anxious to try it out

• cecilia.robinsoncecilia.robinson Posts: 2,208
    edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

Wait a second. The presets point to "Terrors of the deep: jellyfish" by IgnisSerpentus (http://www.daz3d.com/terrors-of-the-deep-jellyfish), which has always been a purchasable. Do you want to tell us you know the set will be free somewhere in the nearest future? It sounds unlikely, although of course nobody can resist a freebie :).

edited December 1969

they were a limited time freebie.

• wizwiz Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

I've used the UltrueViolet (yes, that's how it's spelled) shaders before for glow.

http://www.daz3d.com/ultrueviolet-light-and-glowing-shaders-for-daz-studio

edited December 1969

zigraphix said:

Wait a second. The presets point to "Terrors of the deep: jellyfish" by IgnisSerpentus (http://www.daz3d.com/terrors-of-the-deep-jellyfish), which has always been a purchasable. Do you want to tell us you know the set will be free somewhere in the nearest future? It sounds unlikely, although of course nobody can resist a freebie :).

What I meant was that the Biolight DS set was supposed to be free. At the time that I posted that remark, there was a glitch in the store and they weren't free.

I might still do a set of elemental glow surface shaders. :) Meanwhile, there are other options out there, as others have pointed out in this thread.

Note that to give any surface a glow effect, i.e. it shows up in a dark scene, you just need to set the ambient channel to some light color and turn ambient strength up. If you want the surface to cast light in the scene, the "Area Lighting" shader included with DS will work, but if you want particular color gradient effects or whatever, then one of the custom shaders out there may be what you're looking for.

edited December 1969

What I am waiting for is for something that can mimic the bloom effect in studio.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

What I am waiting for is for something that can mimic the bloom effect in studio.

'Bloom' ?

Do you mean color bleed?

edited December 1969