Thinking of starting a blog dealing with 3D, writing, and life

I am thinking of starting a blog, but I am trying to decide what software to use, WordPress or Joomla or other?  I am leaning towards Joomla, but wordpress might be good too.

Also does anyone have any tips on making a good blog?

Comments

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,703

I am thinking of trying Joomla.  Another question what is a good free FTP software for win?  Free as in free coffee but basically free as in free.

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,134

I am thinking of trying Joomla.  Another question what is a good free FTP software for win?  Free as in free coffee but basically free as in free.

FIlezilla is the one I use when I need a quick FTP client

Thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking what am I doing wrong or right?

• Victor_BVictor_B Posts: 391
    edited October 2018

I strongly suggest WordPress for your needs. It's easy to learn and use, it has good support and big community (many people who can help), has a big collection of very beautifull and contemporary designs (wich r easy to set up and change in a future), it has a big collection of nessesery modules for blogs and social comunity, etc. BTW, 90% of all blogs that I see in the web are on WordPress (if not more).

"Powered by Joomla" - About 47,000,000 results (read sites)

"Powered by WordPress" - About 1,300,000,000 results (read sites)

WordPress’ market share is 31% of all websites

no comments...

and I am using WinSCP as FTP client

p.s.: I created several sites for my friends on WordPress and Drupal, so... just believe me

p.p.s.: BTW, I thought Joomla! is died :)) I was trying to do something also on Joomla!.. though it was13 years ago... ( omg I am so old :( ) and as I remember I didn't like Joomla!

Post edited by Victor_B on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

My "colleague" and myself use WordPress for a top secret project. It's really very user-friendly, and has a lot of options for organising your site. Only drawback is that there are constant updates, and the log-in can be stubborn after one has been implemented. You get in eventually, though.

• AtiAti Posts: 9,082
    TigerAnne said:

Only drawback is that there are constant updates

That's not the drawback. The drawback is that there is a constant NEED for updates, as it is one of the most hacked frameworks on the Internet.

So be sure to have daily backups offsite. (Or more frequent, if you add content often.) And be willing to get up in the middle of the night to wipe your entire site clean (getting rid of all the hacked portions), install a new version that hopefully fixes the bugs that allowed the hacks previously, then restore the backup of the content you had. And repeat with every new hack.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    Ati said:

DOOOOOOM!

Welp, that's my colleague's responsibility. She's more security-minded than I am.

• JClaveJClave Posts: 64

I spent $100 for a premium wordpress plugin (supposedly the "best" according to multiple independent sources) and still I was severely disappointed.

I would rule out Wordpress for my next website project.

Mostly because:

The editor really sucks. If you used Microsoft Onenote, you can easily setup tables, change between multiple columns, embed images with paragraphs just the way you want it. All of that was very painful with Wordpress even with the $100 plugin.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited October 2018

Wordpress is the best, and it is true you would need to buy a theme if you want everything out of the box to work. If you're technical minded, you might get all you need with the default themes, and some of the free themes! Be critical before you buy anything, because as Conclave mentions, some are really badly made. A good seller has a demo you can try out.

Soon Gutenberg comes with Wordpress 5.0, which will be in the foreseable future, with a new visual editor to make things even easier. Wordpress was made for blogging, and it shows, it is the easiest of them all for that purpose.

In any case I advise against Joomla, I have had way more problems with Joomla than Wordpress over the years. Mostly dealing with security and update shenanigans.

There is also Drupal, which is good and very secure, but takes a bit more tinkering to get right, so its definitely not for beginners and might be overkill for a blog.

Post edited by Paintbox on
  • Ati said:
    TigerAnne said:

Only drawback is that there are constant updates

That's not the drawback. The drawback is that there is a constant NEED for updates, as it is one of the most hacked frameworks on the Internet.

So be sure to have daily backups offsite. (Or more frequent, if you add content often.) And be willing to get up in the middle of the night to wipe your entire site clean (getting rid of all the hacked portions), install a new version that hopefully fixes the bugs that allowed the hacks previously, then restore the backup of the content you had. And repeat with every new hack.

I've been running multiple Wordpress sites for years. Never had to do any of that.

Frankly, Miss Wolf, I'd suggest starting with a free blog at wordpress.com , see if you get on with it, and only then consider investing money in hosting, themes, domain names, premium plugins, etc. You can export the posts you write and move them to another platform later, if you choose, but if you don't enjoy the writing there's no point in investing time and money in the rest.

• Erock3DErock3D Posts: 52
    Paintbox said:

In any case I advise against Joomla, I have had way more problems with Joomla than Wordpress over the years. Mostly dealing with security and update shenanigans

I agree with this... if you don't keep Joomla updated there can be a lot of security issues.  (It's been years since I've used it though.)

WordPress does update often, as someone mentioned earlier, but you can have it setup to do basic security updates automatically.

Unless you are already familiar and comfortable with Joomla, I would definately go with WordPress.

• Victor_BVictor_B Posts: 391
    edited October 2018
    Conclave said:

The editor really sucks. If you used Microsoft Onenote, you can easily setup tables, change between multiple columns, embed images with paragraphs just the way you want it. All of that was very painful with Wordpress even with the $100 plugin.

Are u talking about WYSIWYG Editor? You can change default editor to something more useful. I typically use CKEditor. It works with tables very well in Visual Mode and of course u can edit table in Code Mode.

Top 12 WordPress Editor Plugins

Want to see CKEditor in action? Easyly. Just try to leave comment here :))

WP is most popular, so it most hacked, but there is no CMS that is imposible to hack. You just need to install some neсessаry modules that improve your WP security. What modules? Ok, go to WP forums and ask there... also there r many videos on Youtube about every aspect of WP: installing, text editing, upload images, manage images, upload videos, security, changing design and so on :)

P.S.: WYSIWYG Editors are the same in every CMS (CKEditor, TinyMCE etc). You just install what editor you like more.

Post edited by Victor_B on

I am getting back into thinking of doing this blog.  I got a website started but I forgot where I was before it got forgotten in the mist of a crazy life.