Copy/Paste selected items in the Parameters pane - how is this supposed to work?

OK, I'm frustrated.

In the Parameters pane, how is "Copy Selected Items" and "Paste To Selected Items" supposed to work?  I can't seem to get anything to happen there.

Scenario:

I have an animation.  I want to copy the General / Transforms / Translation and Rotation information on a character from one frame to another.  So, I select the source frame in the timeline, I highlight "Translation" and "Rotation" within "Parameters", right-click on them and select "Copy selected items".  I then move the timeline to another frame.  Right click in the same spot in Parameters, select "Paste to selected items".  DS does its little "spinning circle thing" for a couple of seconds and then is ready for new input, but none of the parameters have changed.

I've tried it with just "Translation" selected, with just "Transforms" (the parent of "Translation") selected, with "Transforms", "Translation" and "Rotation" selected - under no circumstances does DS seem to be willing to actually copy and paste this information within the Parameters pane other than me going through the individual sliders one at a time, select the individual value, copy it, and then pasting to that individual value on the destination frame, one slider at a time.

Yes, I know I can save the figure's entire pose as a pose and then re-apply it, deselecting all the parts I DON'T want applied, but that's a pain.  How is this supposed to work?  What's the use of offering copy-and-paste choices in the UI if they don't do anything?  The menu options are plural ("items" instead of "item"), so someone clearly contemplated being able to do more than one item at a time...

Comments

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited October 2018

I think the "Copy / Paste to selected items" is refering to the parameters to change their location and has nothing to do with the values you try to copy/paste. There is a confusing naming convention that those sliders called Propeties also called Items in DazStudio especialy while writing scripts.

It is possible to do what you want copy pasting partial poses from one frame to another. This is done by selecting the coresponding bones of the figure in the scene pane by Shift+click or right click menu Select Children then use Memorize Selected Items Pose found in the Edit menu or the options menu of the Parameters pane then go to the other frame and use Restore Selected Items Pose.

I have changed my shotcuts in the Customize window of DazStudio now I just have to press F5 to memorize items and F6 to restore.

See this post about it: Clearing the Timeline

Some of this became part of my own thread: How to Customize Daz Studio - to speed up Workflow!? [WIP]

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on