UV Maps and sets

leo04leo04 Posts: 305

Is there anyway to use a different map than what is listed in this box?

If I had a custome map can I use it instead of the defaults listed in the box?

Thanks.

2018-09-30_154416.png
432 x 192 - 11K
Post edited by leo04 on

Comments

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    leo04 said:

Is there anyway to use a different map than what is listed in this box?

If I had a custome map can I use it instead of the defaults listed in the box?

Thanks.

Have you got a corresponding UV Set for the figure?

• you can create a new UV by importing an obj under surfaces the striped corner rightclick import UV

if you have  UV you say created in Blender or another app with a corresponding texture

that texture can then be map transfered to the original base UV too

I have done some for example in Zbrush with polypaint where I wanted it to be all one unwrapped map with a matching fur

also when I had the Maya trial I transferred a few UVs from V3 and V2 etc but sadly because Genesis 3 and 8 have that joined head and torso surface there is always going to be a clash of surfaces there on the back of neck and head so my UV's not perfect, long hair hides most the issues.

• leo04leo04 Posts: 305

Why would it come back that the uv was invalid?  This is what I have created based on what I understand in Maya LT. Am I misunderstaning what a UV set is?

2018-09-30_184321.png
    791 x 573 - 66K
  • nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,256
    leo04 said:

Why would it come back that the uv was invalid?  This is what I have created based on what I understand in Maya LT. Am I misunderstaning what a UV set is?

If I understand what you did, you took a figure that has multiple surfaces, exported the figure so it had one big surface, made a uv map, and am trying to apply this simplified uv map to the figure with multiple surfaces?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

it still should work, as I said, I do it,

you are stuck with the surfaces though but the UV should be valid

if it is not then the vertex area does not match, did you export the obj at base resolution from DAZ Studio

did you forget to remove the eyelash conformer?

you can check with morphloader 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,800

yes you exported with the eyelashes 

I can see that from your UV

they are a separate model

edited October 2018
    nemesis10 said:
    leo04 said:

If I understand what you did, you took a figure that has multiple surfaces, exported the figure so it had one big surface, made a uv map, and am trying to apply this simplified uv map to the figure with multiple surfaces?

YES

Post edited by leo04 on
  • Looks like this isn't the original Genesis whatever generation mesh anymore some things got merged. You can't change the vertex count and then try to apply it to a default genesis figure. Try to save this custom merged figure you are working on as a new figure asset first with File>Save As>Support Asset>Figure/Prop Asset. Then come back and try to load an UV map. I've already done the a similar thing as you but I was using Daz Studios Texture Atlas its a bit limited but I was able to produce an all in one UV map that I later rearanged in Blender and loaded that to the new figure. I think once its saved as an asset there should be no issues.

edited October 2018
    nemesis10 said:
    leo04 said:

YES.

Post edited by leo04 on

Looks like this isn't the original Genesis whatever generation mesh anymore some things got merged. You can't change the vertex count and then try to apply it to a default genesis figure. Try to save this custom merged figure you are working on as a new figure asset first with File>Save As>Support Asset>Figure/Prop Asset. Then come back and try to load an UV map. I've already done the a similar thing as you but I was using Daz Studios Texture Atlas its a bit limited but I was able to produce an all in one UV map that I later rearanged in Blender and loaded that to the new figure. I think once its saved as an asset there should be no issues.

Okay I have done that. Can you tell me how to load that?  I have no clue.

Thanks.

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited October 2018

[EDIT]: I should have mentioned before using File>Save As>Support Asset>Save Figure/Prop Asset switch to the Geometry Editor tool, right-click the viewport and choose Geometry Editing > Merge Fitted Figure(s) Geometry to have the eye lashes and the GeoGraft merged and included in the figure geometry.

By doing this the vertex count will change once more because the vertices of the faces that gets hidden by the GeoGraft (Auto-Hide Faces) remains in the figure, but gets deleted if you are using Merge Fitted Figure(s) Geometry. Sorry for that but I fear you can't use your current UV Layout OBJ you can try but I guess DazStudio will tell you Vertex count is different. You have to export the figure Geometry once more after merging with an OBJ and recreate the UV layout like before in your external editor. If you are using Blender I can tell you how to "transfer" UVs from one mesh to another with it. [/EDIT]

Yes. I know of two ways of loading UV sets into DazStudio. First you need to have saved an OBJ of the figure with the UV layout you want to use.

I made a screenshot of how to load an additonal UV set with Load UV Set. It is found in the Surfaces pane option menu. Choose to load the OBJ with the altered UV Layout. Next enter a name for the new UV set and finaly select all Surfaces and change the Default UV to your new UV set. The Surfaces are not automaticly updated to use the new UV set.

The figure already has a default UV set that you may want to replace. If so you can also use Update Geometry to replace the default UV set.

It is found in the main menu Edit > Figure > Geometry > Update Base Geometry. In the next dialogue and that is very important choose Update Full Geometry in Update Operation not Update Vertex Only that is used by default, also check the bottom OBJ Import Options.

Check if the UV has been updated by selecting the Surfaces and then in the Viewport there is the UV View option in the Perspective View drop-down list, its the last entry.

If you want to create a texture template of the current UV Layout I recommend to use mCasuals script mcjTemplate.

Surfaces_LoadUVSet_1.png
    536 x 491 - 37K
    Post edited by Syrus_Dante on

I will look into tryiing your suggestions. I have also found I may be able to use something called Mudbox to paint the mesh and get the single UVMap.

Thanks for all the help.

Can anyone tell me about taking my DAZ model with a skin into Mudbox?