CarraraPro 8.5 - What came bundled?

ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

The huge amount of bundled files is confusing me as to what I actually have. Is Genesis2 Base in there somewhere? I see some files for Genesis2, but I have no idea if I can use them. I experimented a little with Genesis 1 in Studio, but barely scratched the surface and I have forgotten most of what I learned.

Are there any primers or tutorials on using all of this Genesis stuff in C8.5?

Does everything installed in Studio work in Carrara? I was able to load some of the V5 characters I had installed in Studio, but some morph dials are missing. It's all very confusing.

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,225
    edited December 1969

Connatic said:

Are there any primers or tutorials on using all of this Genesis stuff in C8.5?
    Here is a half hour long babble session :
    Meet the new Carrara 8.5 Pro with M5 Dragon Lord!
    (follow the link in the first post to watch the video)
    Where I do a simple session starting with an empty Carrara, just as it is when you first open it.
    I set up a quick scene to illuminate what we put together so that we can see some nice results as we test render. I like to do this step right from the start. As a matter of fact, I then save such a scene so that I can use that newly lit, but otherwise empty scene, as another starting point.
    Then I show you the loading of genesis and introduce the new parameters tab.
    Then I go on and we load in M5, add some clothing, add materials to the clothing, and then add one of the multi-shader presets that come with Carrara 8.5 Pro. In my example, I use the one that was added in the 8.5 Pro Native Content.
    Then after a few pose adjustments and light tweaks, I decide to give his reflective surfaces something to reflect. So we add a Carrara Realistic Sky. I set it up so that the sun aims somewhat similar to the fill light in our scene - but my directional sense was off - as you might be able to tell if you really pay close attention - so don't do that! lol
    And then after a quick repositioning of the camera, we fire off a render. The one that is displayed in the first post of the above link.
    After watching that, then go ahead and ask some specific questions and we'll work from there. Sound cool?
  • ConnaticConnatic Posts: 279
    edited December 1969

Thanks, that is going to get me started.

One quick question - how do I get Genesis V2? Is it in the bundle, or do I need to buy it or install a new Studio version?

I have put off adopting the use of genesis until C8.5 was released, so now I am ready to move ahead with it. I know I have a lot to learn and I appreciate the help.

edited December 1969

Look in your Product Library in your account for "Genesis 2 Female Starter Essentials"

edited December 1969

Thanks, I know that is there, but I was not able to tell what exactly is in it. Installing all this stuff is confusing. I have used Carrara for a long time, but now it seems alien to me. The Download Manager and uncertainty as to where to put the Genesis content, and having these parallel Studio directories. I am totally lost. I have used Poser since 3, and I know exactly where to put things and it always works fine. The Studio Library I find to be totally confusing. Now Carrara has that confusing system within it and I have no idea what to do.

edited December 1969

In the other post, I've mentioned the little 'gear' icon in the upper right corner.
    By going in there, you can go into the 'install to' tab and set up separate runtime locations.
    Here's the rub:
    You don't want to use DIM to install to 'previous' locations - from before you started using DIM.

Basically, what you install with DIM should always be only installed with DIM.

Some folks don't use DIM at all, and instead click the appropriate blue download buttons. Then just install like installing Poser stuff - except that all Genesis stuff has to go to a Daz Studio content library for it to even work - that is Very Important.

Here's what I did:
    Go to THIS PAGE
    Start at the very top and read Everything.
    Watch all three videos, if you want - as it can be very helpful.
    You could just watch the ones that are most relevant to your situation, but DAZ_jared is amazing at explaining stuff... so I suggest watching all of them.

Now continue down the page. Read everything, and click on everywhere that offers more info.
    It helps in the long run.

This DIM is an excellent (and really fast!) way not only to get, download and install the content, but also to get, download and install updates that come out for anything you've bought. So I am going to bite the bullet and switch my workstation over to this new DIM way of doing things. I've been doing the old fashioned way all this time - but experimenting with DIM on a nearly retired laptop. Well I use it for composing my movie soundtracks. But I am really amazed at how fast DIM works. The thing is, if you have multiple runtimes, download everything, but uncheck "Install after Download".
    After downloading is complete you need to select only the things that are going into the same runtime, and there's a selection at the bottom... "show details" I think it's called. It will bring up a window on the bottom that allows you to select where the selected files will install to - and you'll have a drop-down of all of the installation locations you've set up in the "Installation Paths" tab when selecting that gear.

So once your stuff is downloaded, go to the Install tab.
    Select all products that go to the same spot, and select that spot from the drop-down.
    Click "Start Queue"
    Repeat

I have added my Carrara installation directory as a path - just so that I can feel comfy by selecting that as a drop-down selection, But I think that is unnecessary - DIM just knows due to what DAZ has set up.

So...
    Since this DIM is the key - especially if you're not using DS, as it will be the CMS that Carrara needs...
    You need to use it to install everything that you have from DAZ.
    If you don't, no big deal, except that YOU will have to keep straight what is and what isn't installed by DIM - so I suggest to either use it, or not - no in between. But that's me.

Whew... I can't remember what all I've typed. So lets stop here... and just let me know where we should go from here... okay? ;)

We're gonna get this... I promise.

edited December 1969

Since I have previously installed Studio4 and all the Genesis files I have manually, what do I do to be able to use DIM? Must I uninstall Studio and Genesis and reinstall with DIM? And I believe I have already added DIM install into Previous Manual directory. What problems will that cause? Now I have a whole new set of disasters to deal with. I wish there had been some major flagged WARNINGS in the Carrara forum about these pitfalls.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

Hey Dart, promise you won't be on holidays when I get a chance to install all this stuff, I'll need someone like you to tell me what I did wrong :)

edited December 1969

I guess I will uninstall all of my Studio content and then reinstall with DIM.

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378
    edited December 1969

DIM seems to make it handy and automatic to let downloads and installs run in the background all unattended. This is very handy for me since this computer has none of the stuff I bought since 2003.

I just hope it's installing everything to my F partition and isn't putting junk on my C partition; I'll have to double-check that...

edited August 2013

Connatic said:
    I wish there had been some major flagged WARNINGS in the Carrara forum about these pitfalls.
    There were, but that news happened quite some time ago around here.
    My initial thoughts article
    And then, a bit more recently:
    Genesis - Carrara 8.5 - DIM Support Thread Links
    Got questions about Genesis use in Carrara, DIM use for installing?
    This page lists links to threads that have answered many questions to common problems

Carrara 8.5 Beta and Genesis

Genesis and aniBlocks

and I've also wrote this up to help my buddy, Garstor:
    (and anyone else whom might find it to be helpful)
    Daz Install Manager - Installing Custom Poser Runtimes

I bet I have more... like in this, perhaps?
    Forum Help Links
    Tired... must sleep... must...

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited August 2013