Carrara and TriAx

Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

So I'm sort of sitting on the fence with this upgrade. There are reasons I want to keep a current version of Carrara in my set of tools, even though it is not my primary app.

One consideration is about the Triax weight maps. Can we now paint them in Carrara? Having the ability to create and rig content compatible with the latest Daz Studio do-dads (within Carrara) would be very cool.

Comments

• DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Pointed DAZ_Spooky at this thread.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited August 2013

jimzombie said:
    So I'm sort of sitting on the fence with this upgrade. There are reasons I want to keep a current version of Carrara in my set of tools, even though it is not my primary app.

One consideration is about the Triax weight maps. Can we now paint them in Carrara? Having the ability to create and rig content compatible with the latest Daz Studio do-dads (within Carrara) would be very cool.

The short answer is unfortunately we could not make the painting of TriAx Weightmaps and then export to DUF work, yet.

A little background, in case you are interested. TriAx means more than just the ability to paint weights on three different axis of rotation, which Carrara already does. Animated center and endpoints, non uniform scaling of parts, bulge maps, writing the parts correctly in the DSON format, and knowing what could be written that way is all part of it. Believe it or not, it was the last two that tripped us up more than anything else.

It is on the radar but it is not in Carrara 8.5.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
  • Arcane Von OblivionArcane Von Oblivion Posts: 149
    edited December 1969

Are there any plans of making the Genesis line of figures quicker loading like they are in Daz Studio? It seems to me that Carrara is a resource hog when I load a Daz Scene in it with 9 Genesis figures..lol.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Are there any plans of making the Genesis line of figures quicker loading like they are in Daz Studio? It seems to me that Carrara is a resource hog when I load a Daz Scene in it with 9 Genesis figures..lol.
    It is significantly faster now than it was through the Beta Cycle. I have a feeling we aren't finished with that. :) No promises on how much more can be done, though.
  • Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited August 2013

jimzombie said:

The short answer is unfortunately we could not make the painting of TriAx Weightmaps and then export to DUF work, yet.

A little background, in case you are interested. TriAx means more than just the ability to paint weights on three different axis of rotation, which Carrara already does. Animated center and endpoints, non uniform scaling of parts, bulge maps, writing the parts correctly in the DSON format, and knowing what could be written that way is all part of it. Believe it or not, it was the last two that tripped us up more than anything else.

Awwwwww. I was counting on that. I guess we could send the rig to DS to do the triax conversion. Kind of a let down that it wont. I was hoping for a complere figure pipeline that would allow you to make them as good as. MAX...

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Never used Studio before (except to load the latest version so I can have all the Genesis supported stuff show up in Carrara) and I'm really really early days at playing with Genesis, but I've got to say for me it loads lightening fast, so far there is no loading extra morphs (every morph set I purchased and put into Studio is just automatically already there in the parameters tab in Carrara). Way faster then when I load a V4 or M4 (and even faster then when I pull a pre-made V4 or M4 from my objects tab that already has full morphs that I want pre-loaded).

I'm just starting to play with this, mind, so I'm a babe in the woods but so far when I add things like hair or clothes to the genesis, it is significantly faster then when I added those things to V4/M4 in all previous versions of Carrara. For a hair item with tons of morphs in a previous version I literally sometimes could get up, walk away from the computer for several minutes while it went through the 'projecting morphs' bit.

But when I add those items to Genesis it takes like 20 seconds or so (at least so far). This is making me like Genesis a little more, and making me feel a bit better about shelling out the steep upgrade price :)

Just my results so far, but slowness in loading Genesis really isn't an issue for me (as of yet)

• JonstarkJonstark Posts: 2,738
    edited December 1969

Adding that just to try it out, I just loaded V4 wet hair (from adamthwaites over at rendo) to my genesis. This was the biggest time killer for me in previous versions, an easy 15 minute wait usually, sometimes even longer, and on occasion I would wonder if I was going to need to crash out of Carrara.

In 8.5, it loaded in under 2 minutes (closer to 1 minute, actually). I'm running an I5 laptop, to give perspective. I'm sure those who have 8 core machines and better will do it even faster.

• Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the clarification, Mr Spooky. So, is this something we can expect to see as a further point release or for C9? While I'm asking questions I might as well ask if there is a C9 features list anywhere, or when we could expect to see one?

• Arcane Von OblivionArcane Von Oblivion Posts: 149
    edited December 1969

Jonstark said:
    Adding that just to try it out, I just loaded V4 wet hair (from adamthwaites over at rendo) to my genesis. This was the biggest time killer for me in previous versions, an easy 15 minute wait usually, sometimes even longer, and on occasion I would wonder if I was going to need to crash out of Carrara.

In 8.5, it loaded in under 2 minutes (closer to 1 minute, actually). I'm running an I5 laptop, to give perspective. I'm sure those who have 8 core machines and better will do it even faster.

well I know that part of my problem is a really slow machine but Daz Studio kinda cheats that, but Carrara doesnt't. My Genesis has 100's of mophs alone that I made up besides the bought ones (I need to clean up). But what went slow for me is this scene I did with 11 Genesis Women in it nude with a simple back drop and all with pretty simple hair. Well carrara didnt like that. Mind you I havn't used Carrara for anything other then modeling in the past even though I keep my licence up to date. It was just a Question of options for me because I like to use everything I can and study how it works. I'll never have a Pipeline till I can scan people into the computer and use kinects to do all the animation, but I've learned from the ground up. Its a costly hobby for me but a fun one, but I need to stop using junk for a computer I guess. Anyways........TriAx does look nice in Carrara just like Studio and not like Poser.....