Daz and Carrara comparison

vindazivindazi Posts: 667
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Can someone provide a link to a list that compares Daz and Carrara?

I understand that Daz and Carrara are designed to work together. Is there a link to how they work together?

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395
    edited December 1969

No there isn't anything that compares the two to my knowledge.

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited August 2013

DAZ is all about 3d figure posing and studio (think indoor photo studio) scene development with portrait level animation and rendering that in results in 2D images. Carrara is a who 3d suite that has many more tools to create 3d figures and models from scratch with a full animation rendering package that results in 2D renders and movies or entire 3d creations. http://www.daz3d.com/3d/3d-animation/

Post edited by Dream Cutter on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

vindazi said:

I understand that Daz and Carrara are designed to work together. Is there a link to how they work together?

Quite simple really.

DAZ is a software and content marketing company - Carrara is one of their products.

You didn't mean DAZ Studio, did you? That involves a bit longer answer...

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604
    edited December 1969

vindazi said:

A simple comparison between Daz Studio and Carrara would be, Carrara is a full modelling and rendering application. You can start from nothing in Carrara and create a scene using Carrara's modelling tools. Daz Studio does not do object creation, it uses ready made poseable figures, clothes and props.

As far as working together, you can load Daz Studio figures, clothes (but not dynamic ones) and props into Carrara 8.5, and pose and morph them like you can in Daz Studio. Carrara 8.5 can also use the Daz content management system (CMS). The CMS gets installed by the Daz Studio installer but not by the Carrara installer.

You can run Daz Studio from inside Bryce but Carrara doesn't have that sort of link (or if it does I haven't found out how to do it).

• Dream CutterDream Cutter Posts: 1,222
    edited December 1969

vindazi said:

A simple comparison between Daz Studio and Carrara would be, Carrara is a full modelling and rendering application. You can start from nothing in Carrara and create a scene using Carrara's modelling tools. Daz Studio does not do object creation, it uses ready made poseable figures, clothes and props.

As far as working together, you can load Daz Studio figures, clothes (but not dynamic ones) and props into Carrara 8.5, and pose and morph them like you can in Daz Studio. Carrara 8.5 can also use the Daz content management system (CMS). The CMS gets installed by the Daz Studio installer but not by the Carrara installer.

You can run Daz Studio from inside Bryce but Carrara doesn't have that sort of link (or if it does I haven't found out how to do it).

I DID NOT KNOW THAT!! Cool. Does it work with the latest version? I guess I will need to check out Bryce!! (Vue-scape user)

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Carrara has many sophisticated animation tools. It has it's own native renderer which is must faster than DAZ Studio's 3Delight render engine. You can also get a plugin for Luxrender as well.

Speaking of plugins, Carrara can do many things out of the box, that Studio would need a plugin for. Carrara can also do stuff that Studio can't do even with a plugin.

Carrara can do volumetric effects such as clouds and atmospheres. Carrara has a plant generator/editor. Carrara has surface replicators. Carrara can do terrain generation similar to Bryce. There are far too many things to list.

edited December 1969

vindazi said:

I DID NOT KNOW THAT!! Cool. Does it work with the latest version? I guess I will need to check out Bryce!! (Vue-scape user)

I haven't actually done this for a while. I just tried it with Bryce Pro 7.1 and Daz Studio Pro 4.6 but I couldn't get it to work. The two programs did recognise each other and try to communicate. I had one partial sucess but mostly it was a failure. I don't know if this is a compatibilty issue, a problem on my PC or if I'm just doing it wrong. I'll have to investigate further.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

It's not so much that you run DS inside Bryce, you can transfer DS set up models into a Bryce landscape via the bridge.

edited December 1969

Bryce has a Daz Studio button, and Daz Studio has a "Send to Bryce" menu option. I've had more luck sending a figure from Daz Studio to Bryce although in test I just did it looks as if the transparency map on the hair hasn't come across. I'm rather out of practice with Bryce, I'll try and work out how to fix this.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

The mat editor. You may need to set up the trans manually. I don't use DS, so don't know how they transfer, but several people in the Bryce forum do use it, so could help you.

From Poser I export obj, which always needs a manual setup.

edited December 1969

I spent some time reading the manual and fiddling with the Material editor and got nowhere, then I tried a different hair object and it worked first time with no adjustments needed. It seems that Bryce has problems with this particular hair object (Mavka hair for Genesis) but it works fine with other hair.