C 8.5 pro - install from hell - Please help!

jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Unfortunately, I am not a daily Carrara user. It is a hobby for me and I usually get frustrated with the bugs and crashes, then walk away for a few months hoping that some problems are solved. Of course, if you don't use Carrara on a regular basis, you forget all the tricks and workarounds that are needed to use the software.

I was excited to see that 8.5 was finally released and hoped it would fix problems and improve the situation. Maybe it does, but something(s) have gone very wrong with my install and I have no idea where everything is.

C8.5 is installed and launches properly, but "content" is completely screwed up. Maybe it's me, but I have no idea what went wrong or how to fix it.

I used the install manager to install all software and content. Software was installed to the default location and content installed to another drive. According to Install Manager, 250 items were installed. I can see the files on my drive.

I am working on a Mac and have installed mac versions of everything.

1. "Native" content does not appear. "Scenes" "Shaders" "Misc" are all empty. "Objects" only has "Leaves." I see others have had this problem. I have also installed the Carrara 8 Native Content 186MB file. I can see the files in the Carrara folder, but they do not show up in the browser.

2. Content and smart content does not work. It is VERY frustrating and I am not happy with this "upgrade." I am considering asking for a refund and walking away from Carrara and 3D altogether. The "Content" tab only shows some of the installed items. Michael 4 and Victoria 4 both show up but I didn't install them. M5 and V5 are missing, but they were installed.

3. Smart Content isn't smart at all. At first, some items would show up and other wouldn't. Some of the items in smart content would be highlighted, but no matter how far I drill down, the listing would be empty. Unlike the wiki page for "smart" content tab, the top level does NOT show a listing for its sub-listings. You must drill down to see anything in a child directory.

Looking at the "documentation" posted here for the content manager, I installed DAZ Studio 4.6 and opened the content manager through there. Studio seemed to recognize more of my content and displayed it easier than the multiple nested hierarchy mess of Carrara. After running DB maintenance, not even Studio would show any content. So I erased all directories from the content database and brought them back in. I select DB maintenance to re-import the metadata. I see a long list of products, all checked. The first few times I tried this, it crashed Studio. Now it just quickly runs a status bar then completes. Still NO content showing in Studio or Carrara.

Any ideas on how to get the "native" content to appear?

Any idea on a strategy to get installed content to appear? I never though i would say this, but I almost miss the absurd and convoluted "runtime" setup. As must as I disliked that patchwork of insanity, at least I could get it to work (most of the time).

Sorry to rant, but I really expected this release to be a little more user friendly.

Comments

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,846
    edited December 1969

I'm a pc user..

If the structure is the same then your Native Content should be copied to the Carrara folder or whatever is the equivalent on a mac..

Sorry.. that's all I have :blank:

nativecontent.JPG
    178 x 276 - 17K
  • jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140
    edited December 1969

My structure is similar. All the files are installed there, just none show up in Carrara.

screen1.jpg
    834 x 1233 - 205K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,250
    edited December 1969

I see the structure... is that located in the new Carrara installation? I reinstalled everything this time - 'cause I still have 8.1 Pro and 8.5beta installed too. All seems well so far - though I didn't get much of a test in yet. Just got done installing everything, as I decided to create an Carrara 8.5 Pro Bundle archive on my "Saves" HDD - which is the entire C8.5 Pro package, plus everything I've ever bought for Carrara - all bundled up and easy to find. That way I could keep the correct versions of mimic and plugins and such exactly where they need to be saved.

Sorry... off the point. I'll check back tm see how your doing... hang in there.

edited December 1969

I think I solved the problem with the native content. The new installer puts the files in the Carrara 8.5 folder. They have to go in the Carrara 8.5 program "package." I moved them there manually from my old install. Tedious and unnecessary. The old installer knew how to handle the Mac version. The new installer doesn't.

Still having trouble with the "content" system. In both Studio and Carrara some things show up and others do not. No rhyme or reason.

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited August 2013

I have up-dated 8.5beta pro to 8.5 pro product ver, then I delete 8.1 and beta 8.5 once.
    I used DIM, there seems some important points to install contents for carrara 8.5 correctly by DIM

At first,I go to setting of DIM
    click small gear icon top left side of DIM,
    and open Setting > Download section.
    then check off 8.1 only check on 8.5.

next go to , Aprication category.
    delete 8.5beta, 8.1 path from DIM

without these step,, about most of contents which you have installed before,
    DIM just install to old 8.1 or 8.5 beta directories. not install to 8.5 new directory.

After that un-instlall old contents and old aprications (8.1 and beta) by DIM.
    (you may better memorize which product you un-installed,
    about some case you many need re-download and install manually.)

it can remove contents (for 8.1 and beta) which installed by DIM from old directories.

But Most of contents should be show up again for 8.5, on Ready to Download or Ready to install.

(edit to apply some step)
    install 8.5 product ver aprication by DIM. then it make new default directory for 8.5.
    then set new content path for 8.5 by Aprication category of DIM setting.
    it record and set new correct path for contents with old contents .(/edit)

then every contents should be auto-installed to correct directory where it need for 8.5 product version.
    (without bonus contents for daz studio)

About me, animate importer plug in only need to re-insatall manually. they do not show in DIM

setting.JPG
    727 x 440 - 70K
    download_setting.JPG
    602 x 464 - 51K
    Post edited by kitakoredaz on
    edited December 1969

Very cool info! I figured that something like that would work good - maybe I'll remove everything and just start fresh with 8.5, saving my personal browser files, of course... DIM is really efficient for updating and uninstalling, etc.,
    Hey, thanks for the tips!

edited December 1969

I have up-dated 8.5beta pro to 8.5 pro product ver, then I delete 8.1 and beta 8.5 once.
    I used DIM, there seems some important points to install contents for carrara 8.5 correctly by DIM

At first,I go to setting of DIM
    click small gear icon top left side of DIM,
    and open Setting > Download section.
    then check off 8.1 only check on 8.5.

I didn't have an 8.1 as a choice. Only 8.5.

next go to , Aprication category.
    delete 8.5beta, 8.1 path from DIM

My only Carrara path was for 8.5. I didn't have any paths listed for older installs. The 8.5 path was correct.

without these step,, about most of contents which you have installed before,
    DIM just install to old 8.1 or 8.5 beta directories. not install to 8.5 new directory.

Makes sense and likely applies to some problems people are having. It doesn't seem to be the issue for me.

After that un-instlall old contents and old aprications (8.1 and beta) by DIM.
    (you may better memorize which product you un-installed,
    about some case you many need re-download and install manually.)

it can remove contents (for 8.1 and beta) which installed by DIM from old directories.

But Most of contents should be show up again for 8.5, on Ready to Download or Ready to install.

You need to be careful about this part on a Mac. Apparently the PC version stores items in the Carrara Directory. For the Mac version, the default/native files (Scenes, Shaders, etc.) are stored in the program package. (The program file is actually a special kind of folder, but appears to the user as a single file that you double click to open).

I don't know if an uninstall will delete the files inside the program package, but deleting the folder or program file certainly will. That may not be an issue if you only have the "Native" packages installed. But it might pose a problem if you have other items in there from previous installs (i.e. some Howie Farkes products put leaves in the default folders).

In my case, all the "Native" content was installed in the program folder, leaving my directory looking like a PC version would look. In the past, Carrara installers correctly installed native content in the program _package_ where the Mac version needs it to be. Either something is wrong with the new installer, or something is wrong with my version of it.

For me - on a Mac version - I had to run the installer then manually move those files to the correct locations inside the package.

While that solved my "Native" content situation, the remaining content (Genesis, V5, M5, etc.) installed but is not all recognized by the CMS in Carrara or Studio.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,957
    edited December 1969

What the heck is going on? Why will 8.5Pro NOT install where I tell it? Why is it making up an install location?

I add Carrara 8.5 64-bit to application list, then do the install and DIM ignores that and creates it's own entry slapping Carrara exactly where I don't want it!

Carrara.jpg
    549 x 510 - 87K
    edited December 1969

You're using the PC version, which may be different from the Mac.

On Mac, go to the "Installation" tab. At the top, there are two lines....

64 bit software [path]
    32 Bit Software [path]

Try changing your install location on those lines. I don't know if it will help, but it is worth a try.

My Carrara installs where I tell the installer to put it. However, it keeps adding extra and erroneous paths for Daz Studio.

I specify /Applications/DAZ 3D/ as the install folder for 32 and 64 bit software. I add the same path in the "Applications" tab.

This seems to work for Carrara, but the installer continues to install Daz Studio (4.6) in /Applications/DAZ 3D//DAZ 3D/ (It creates a redundant nested "DAZ 3D" folder). This additional folder listing continues to show up in my "Applications" tab of the DIM and comes back after I delete it.

edited December 1969

jrm21 said:
    You're using the PC version, which may be different from the Mac.

On Mac, go to the "Installation" tab. At the top, there are two lines....

64 bit software [path]
    32 Bit Software [path]

Try changing your install location on those lines. I don't know if it will help, but it is worth a try.

My Carrara installs where I tell the installer to put it. However, it keeps adding extra and erroneous paths for Daz Studio.

I specify /Applications/DAZ 3D/ as the install folder for 32 and 64 bit software. I add the same path in the "Applications" tab.

This seems to work for Carrara, but the installer continues to install Daz Studio (4.6) in /Applications/DAZ 3D//DAZ 3D/ (It creates a redundant nested "DAZ 3D" folder). This additional folder listing continues to show up in my "Applications" tab of the DIM and comes back after I delete it.

I was tempted to do that, but I suspect I am going to get the extra 'DAZ 3D' directory added into the install path. In fact I may try anyway, just to see what it does, I can always uninstall it (again) if/when it goes pear-shaped. Watch this space ...

edited December 1969

Yep, as suspected - it bases the install on the 64-bit install path and adds in the extra 'DAZ 3D' directory level, plus using Carrara8.5 as the end part of the path. To my mind that is 'not working as designed' or, if it is, certainly 'not working as desired'.

Carrara2.jpg
    549 x 510 - 88K
    edited December 1969

I think the technical term is FUBAR. :)

Definitely something wrong here.

• Max TurladMax Turlad Posts: 84
    edited August 2013

Hey!!!!

And now I'm a new Carrara user. Yup!!!! :cheese: Installed 8.5 PRO by DIM first time on my W64 bit PC (no older versions of Carrara: 8, 8.1, 8.5 beta or Daz Studio). But I can't open Wizard Landscape or Preset on a new Document. If I try: menu file->open preset, the application return an error: Wizard scenes not found. DIM configurated as default: 64 bit sofware path = c:\program file, 32 bit software (x86) path = c:\program file. ????? And Application tab in DIM is...see attachement.

Thank you, Max.

P.S. Ciao Dad.

1.PNG
    541 x 127 - 8K
    Post edited by Max Turlad on
  • DZ_jaredDZ_jared Posts: 1,316
    edited December 1969

Here is where you can find the installation guide: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/carrara/8_5/userguide/getting_started/start

Native content problems are almost always due to the native content either not being installed, or being installed to the wrong location. If you installed Carrara 8.5 using DIM then DIM will put the Native Content in the proper place. However, you still have to tell DIM to download and install the Carrara 8.5 native content.

edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:
    Here is where you can find the installation guide: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/carrara/8_5/userguide/getting_started/start

.... If you installed Carrara 8.5 using DIM then DIM will put the Native Content in the proper place. However, you still have to tell DIM to download and install the Carrara 8.5 native content.

Thank you DAZ_Jared,

Yes I've installed by DIM set as default. Unistalled all,and reinstalled again, but no good luck.

2.PNG
    624 x 218 - 12K
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,514
    edited December 1969

Can you post a screen shot of your applications tab in DIM?

edited December 1969

I have yet to install the content as it is not installing Carrara in the right place yet! ;)

edited December 1969

sbilf said:
    Hey!!!!

And now I'm a new Carrara user. Yup!!!! :cheese: Installed 8.5 PRO by DIM first time on my W64 bit PC (no older versions of Carrara: 8, 8.1, 8.5 beta or Daz Studio). But I can't open Wizard Landscape or Preset on a new Document. If I try: menu file->open preset, the application return an error: Wizard scenes not found. DIM configurated as default: 64 bit sofware path = c:\program file, 32 bit software (x86) path = c:\program file. ????? And Application tab in DIM is...see attachement.

Thank you, Max.

P.S. Ciao Dad.

Okay Son, here's why your Wizards don't work. Now pay attention, boy! You here me? lol

In your product library, or in this case, in the DIM, you MUST make sure that you have a file called "Carrara 8 Native Content". Yes, you'll also see Carrara 8.5 Native, and Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Contents as well. But it's the Carrara 8 Native Content that you need. It's 373.7MB in size. THAT must be installed. It contains all of the scene presets, the Browser Library and the Wizard's stuff. You know, strange powders, arcane mumbo-jumbo... stuff that Wizards use to cast spells.

If you don't see it in DIM, or in your Product Library, then you'll need to Submit a Help Request Ticket at DAZ Zen Desk. They'll be able to straighten it out. But only do that if you've already made sure that you don't have a "Native Content" download that's around 370 Mb! You need that! And it needs to be installed to your Carrara 8.5 directory.

Oh, and one more thing:
    I'm proud of you, Son. Welcome to the blissful, wonderful world of rendering in the most Kickin' 3D suite on the planet! ;)

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,622
    edited December 1969

......THAT must be installed. It contains all of the scene presets, the Browser Library and the Wizard's stuff. You know, strange powders, arcane mumbo-jumbo... stuff that Wizards use to cast spells.

Do I hear the voice of an aspiring Bald Wizard speaking?

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

sbilf said:
    Hey!!!!

Thank you, Max.

P.S. Ciao Dad.

Okay Son, here's why your Wizards don't work. Now pay attention, boy! You here me? lol

In your product library, or in this case, in the DIM, you MUST make sure that you have a file called "Carrara 8 Native Content". Yes, you'll also see Carrara 8.5 Native, and Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Contents as well. But it's the Carrara 8 Native Content that you need. It's 373.7MB in size. THAT must be installed. It contains all of the scene presets, the Browser Library and the Wizard's stuff. You know, strange powders, arcane mumbo-jumbo... stuff that Wizards use to cast spells.

If you don't see it in DIM, or in your Product Library, then you'll need to Submit a Help Request Ticket at DAZ Zen Desk. They'll be able to straighten it out. But only do that if you've already made sure that you don't have a "Native Content" download that's around 370 Mb! You need that! And it needs to be installed to your Carrara 8.5 directory.

Oh, and one more thing:
    I'm proud of you, Son. Welcome to the blissful, wonderful world of rendering in the most Kickin' 3D suite on the planet! ;)

Just to update on this the Native content is around 177 MB for the zip 180 for the win exe or 184 for the mac exe there are also 2 smalll C8,5 native content files that just give shaders for genesis

edited August 2013

Yeahhhhhhhhh!!! I got it!!!!!! :cheese: Found it in Product Library (not in DIM. 176.78 MB Windows EXE file and 176.78 MB ZIP Download & Install file).

Thank you all, but when a child has a dad as Dart :-) :lol:

My first work with Carrara 8.5 and Carrara 8 Native Content: YUK!!!! (Sorry Dart, but I'm so happy now with my new 3D software)

dad.PNG
    746 x 473 - 187K
  • tezentezen Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

...for you it´s working?

Right here I AM FRUSTRATED THAN NEVER BEFORE. First the new "easy-doing" shop-system... OK... now I want to install the downloaded files? BUT HOW COULD I DO IT? The install manager won´t show me up my manually downloaded files.

ONE MORE FAIL - DAZ.

edited December 1969

...it´s really ****ed up and WHY CANT THERE ANYWHERE ANY INSTRUCTION HOW TO INSTALL THE CONTENT MANUALLY ??? fail fail fail ... and I´m not stupid at computers.

edited August 2013

Hi Tezen,

go in your DAZ account, then in "Product Library" section and found Carrara 8 Content. Download it manually (ZIP file) and after use DIM to install it.
    You must download it in the DIM "download to" folder. Enter in offline mode and install it. Look at image, in this case I've changed the default dowload path.

3.PNG
    551 x 78 - 7K
    edited December 1969

Hello Sbilf!
    The problem is that I downloaded it on an other PC because theres no firewall, anti-virus on the PC where I want to install Carrara8.5 and the content.
    I`m getting sick about all this problems. It´s pain in my head.

edited August 2013

tezen said:
    Hello Sbilf!
    The problem is that I downloaded it on an other PC because theres no firewall, anti-virus on the PC where I want to install Carrara8.5 and the content.
    I`m getting sick about all this problems. It´s pain in my head.

:vampire: Damn!!!! Firewall...hummm Copy the file (XXXXX-01_Carrara8NativeContent.zip) to the PC where you want install Carrara 8.5 and DIM too, then use DIM Work off line .

Ciao, Max

• LamarLamar Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

jrm21 said:
    I think I solved the problem with the native content. The new installer puts the files in the Carrara 8.5 folder. They have to go in the Carrara 8.5 program "package." I moved them there manually from my old install. Tedious and unnecessary. The old installer knew how to handle the Mac version. The new installer doesn't.

Still having trouble with the "content" system. In both Studio and Carrara some things show up and others do not. No rhyme or reason.

Where in the package do the files need to be stored? I've tried just moving the Presets and Scenes folders into the Contents folder in the package, but it didn't do anything.

L.

• LamarLamar Posts: 6
    edited December 1969

DAZ_jared said:

That would be useful if it actually worked.

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

Take a look at http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/27934/ and see if I answer your questions there.