IRAY problem

I am very new to DAZ Studio, I just downnloaded it , the problem I am having is that when I change the lighting in a scene, the renderer does not update. It does with poses but the lighting is always the same. I have purged the memory and change the renderer to 3d light or something like that, it does update the lighting but looks horrible. I even changed to interactive from photoreal but it is the same overexposed horrible lighting.

Any ideas?

Comments

• If you are using the default settings then the Ruins HDR image will be lighting the scene, and probably swamping any local lights. If you want to use local lights you probably need to set the environment mode to Scene Only in Render Settings, and then adjust the Tone Mapping.

• If you are using the default settings then the Ruins HDR image will be lighting the scene, and probably swamping any local lights. If you want to use local lights you probably need to set the environment mode to Scene Only in Render Settings, and then adjust the Tone Mapping.

In Iray just for clarification... and make sure that your camera headlight is off.  (go to the camera tab and scroll down to headlight and switch it off. Also, if you don't have nvidea iray selected and are in texture shaded mode, it can be very difficult to see any change in lighting.  if you are in preview mode it should change.

• ... and make sure that your camera headlight is off.  (go to the camera tab and scroll down to headlight and switch it off.

True, though you don't have to switch it off per-camera - as long as the camera is still at the default Auto setting the headlamp can be switched off by the general group in Render Settings.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

If you create a photometric light with the default settings the intensity is very low. I usually have to turn the luminous flux up to hundreds of thousands of lumens before it is any use. And the texture shaded preview doesn't show the effect of the luminous flux setting. It does respond to the intensity slider (I assume this is a percentage of the luminous flux you have set but I'm not sure) but I think it gives a very misleading idea of what the lighting will be like. I think nVidia Iray preview mode does show the lighting properly but it's very slow on my computer so I only use it occasionally in the auxiliary viewport.

As Richard says, the default setting has the scene illuminated by an HDR image. This is simulating outdoor lighting. In the real world you would need powerful spotlights to have any effect on a daylight outdoor scene.

Another way to adjust the overall brightness is to use the exposure controls in tone mapping but it is not a good idea to use this to compensate for very low illumination. I generally use it to fine tune the image brightness.

3Delight is a different renderer. It is older than Iray and not physics based. To get the best from it you need textures and lighting that were designed for it. A lot of new content only comes with Iray textures. I like 3Delight but a lot of people don't.

• Wow thank you for all the answer! I stayed very late last night looking and looking and I did noticed the environment dome was lighting the whole scene, no matter what lighting preset I would chose, it was the same bright flat lighting or worse a compunded overexposed image for all the lighting set up I was throwing at the scene. In one instance I totally disable all the lights and it was a silhouette in the preview pane but when I rendered it was the same flat lighting. I will try all of your suggestions. Thank you!

• Lots to learn, my preview panel is not very helpful in assesing the final result. Some artifacts too. NVidia Iray Photoreal.

Elephant Preview..jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 459K
    Elephant.png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Some of this may be more than what you want but you'll need to know at some point. Hope it helps. 

• Thank you sir!