Product reviews?

NedKellyNedKelly Posts: 63
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I would like to see a thread (sticky) on this forum for us end users to review products that we have purchased, maybe with sub-categories for different types of items.

I for one would like to hear what others think of a product before purchasing it. I mean seriously some of the products I've bought are not all that great and wont ever get used and some are just to resource hungry and slow things down too much and maybe some feedback from other users would have prevented me from wasting my money on them. Don't get me wrong, I have more than 1500 items in my runtime and most of them work great but you really don't know that until you have parted with your hard earned cash.

Just saying knowing that someone else had a good or bad experience with a product could help in the decision of whether or not to buy something. I have found some random threads about one product or another but no central database of reviews.
Anyone else agree?

By the way, if such a thread already exists then it needs to be easier to find.

Ned.

Comments

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

It'd be easier for you to just ask such a question here on the boards when you have them. The kind of thread you propose would be troublesome because you would then have to potentially wade through dozens of pages to find comments on the product in question.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited August 2013

There are a bunch of product reviews in this thread, especially in recent weeks. The first post has been updated to help you navigate through it.

The challenge with product reviews, in my opinion, is that even if I have a bad experience with a product, it may not be fair to give it a bad review...could be user error, system-specific issues, stylistic preferences, etc...none of which have any bearing on the quality of a product. On the other hand if I have a good experience with a product, I don't mind talking about it. You can do a forum search for the product name (or better yet a Google search for "site:daz3d.com" plus the product name, and usually find some opinions.

I always try to keep in mind, when talking about products, the fact that many of the PAs who put a great deal of work into the products do use the forum... (I should add that the posts in Novica's thread, mentioned above, are very respectful and also contain a lot of helpful information on the products)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • VanguardVanguard Posts: 481
    edited December 1969

One sticky for reviews of all products? Doesn't sound like something I would use.

I agree the lack of organized product reviews is unfortunate, but not nearly as bad as incomplete or out of date product info on the product's page. The one saving grace and the overwhelming advantage of buying things here at DAZ is the 30 day money back guarantee. I have yet to return an item so I din't know just how much pain is involved, but knowing I can makes those iffy purchases nearly risk-free. You can hardly ask for better than that.

Besides, I have found I rarely take a chance on products I have doubts about on sites with reviews but no money back guarantee. It seems 99% of reviews are 5 star ratings with little info other than "I love it". Not much help, not much of a 'review'.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

I'd imagine this is what the commercial threads are for. If one doesn't exist, then ask about the product in the commons.

Maybe even add a section in the storefront on product pages for product reviews/ratings.

• Noved1Noved1 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

Vanguard, there is no pain involved at all in the returns my friend! i have returned a few things, and all you have to do is submit a ticket with your item code saying you want a refund and boom, daz does it.

edited December 1969

noved123 said:
    Vanguard, there is no pain involved at all in the returns my friend! i have returned a few things, and all you have to do is submit a ticket with your item code saying you want a refund and boom, daz does it.

Yep. Daz has a 30-day no questions asked return policy. I don't even have to tell them why.
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    noved123 said:

Yep. Daz has a 30-day no questions asked return policy. I don't even have to tell them why.

Exactly the same for me, I've had great experiences when I've needed to return things. Although lately, most of the time I've returned things is not because I actually decided I didn't want the product, but because I bought something individually, and then decided after a few days to go ahead and buy the bundle version of something, and so returned the single item. But in either case, it's always been very easy.

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    noved123 said:

Exactly the same for me, I've had great experiences when I've needed to return things. Although lately, most of the time I've returned things is not because I actually decided I didn't want the product, but because I bought something individually, and then decided after a few days to go ahead and buy the bundle version of something, and so returned the single item. But in either case, it's always been very easy.

Yep I've done that a few times myself with Genesis morphs -> Starter Bundle and Xinxin -> Made in Japan bundle.

edited August 2013

Vaskania said:
    Vaskania said:
    noved123 said:

Yep I've done that a few times myself with Genesis morphs -> Starter Bundle and Xinxin -> Made in Japan bundle.

Good to see I'm not alone :) I will share a small secret. Since coupon values obviously can't be refunded, when I can, I strategize my orders accordingly when buying things I might return for a bundle.

For instance, I have not yet decided whether I'm getting a Girl 6 bundle, probably at some point, but I knew right away I wanted the tank from the Restless PJs for something I was working on. So I bought the Insomnia textures for Restless and the Cheerleader textures in one order, and used my PC monthly coupon on that order. Those items are not part of bundles. In a separate order with no coupon I bought Restless itself. Restless is in the Girl 6 Pro bundle, so if I decide to get that bundle within the next 30 days, I can return Restless for the full value (not less a portion of the coupon). The Cheerleader outfit is part of both Girl bundles, so if I end up buying either one, I'll already have the textures.

That's me taking things perhaps a bit too far, but there you have it.

Post edited by Storypilot on
  • VanguardVanguard Posts: 481
    edited August 2013

Good to see I'm not alone :) I will share a small secret. Since coupon values obviously can't be refunded, when I can, I strategize my orders accordingly when buying things I might return for a bundle.

For instance, I have not yet decided whether I'm getting a Girl 6 bundle, probably at some point, but I knew right away I wanted the tank from the Restless PJs for something I was working on. So I bought the Insomnia textures for Restless and the Cheerleader textures in one order, and used my PC monthly coupon on that order. Those items are not part of bundles. In a separate order with no coupon I bought Restless itself. Restless is in the Girl 6 Pro bundle, so if I decide to get that bundle within the next 30 days, I can return Restless for the full value (not less a portion of the coupon). The Cheerleader outfit is part of both Girl bundles, so if I end up buying either one, I'll already have the textures.

That's me taking things perhaps a bit too far, but there you have it.

That is some really thinking ahead ;)

Post edited by Vanguard on
    edited August 2013

Couldn't you have just bought all 3 together, used your pc coupon, and still have the option to return the outfit? I mean either way you'd still get your coupon's worth out of the pc coupon on the textures.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited August 2013

Vaskania said:
    Couldn't you have just bought all 3 together, used your pc coupon, and still have the option to return the outfit? I mean either way you'd still get your coupon's worth out of the pc coupon on the textures.

In my experience, they split the value of the coupon proportionally across the items in the order. I learned it once when I bought something questionable that was proportionally expensive, along with several other things that were cheaper but still together greater than the coupon. I thought I was secure in having used the value of the coupon, even if I returned the one item. When I ultimately returned the one item I'd had doubts about using, it was refunded minus most of the value of the coupon, and the other items in the order ended up being close to their original non-coupon prices as a result.

It's possible I could have gone through another ticket, and been able to get the rest back, I didn't, and the specific circumstances are a little vague now, the sale/coupon involved may have been more complicated. But now, when I think of it, I make it easy and split the orders.

Post edited by Storypilot on
    edited December 1969

I may just have to employ your method from now on to be on the safe side.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,873
    edited August 2013

The number one downside I see of having a review system is the potential for abuse and I see it two ways.

The system could be used to both damage a PAs reputation or falsely improve it. People have been known to either make extra accounts to do thier devious deeds or get their friends and family to make extra accounts inorder to promote falsely.

Come to think of it, the number one issue over all would be getting a large enough customer base to use it. I honestly doubt that a large percentage of users would even bother to make a review. Lets face it, as artists, if you really like somehting, your going to use it and people will see the stuff in your renders. The more we use something the more obvious that we like it. That being said, how many Aiko3's do you see in my gallery and how many of them are Sylfie? :D

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited December 1969

Good point, and I know exactly what you're talking about because I've seen it on other sites (not store related, just voting type stuff in general).

A3 should just be renamed to "that girl that Sylfie's based on". lol