Advanced Ambient, Spot & Distant Lights [Commercial]

Comments

• Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
    edited December 1969

That's not a silly question CarlaO. The ease of use really depends on how you use it.

You can load the light and render and get pretty good results. To get the most out of it (mainly faster speeds) it will likely take some practice.

That croquet render was a challenge. It was intentionally tough though. I wanted to try to do something that I don't think could be done with any other light. It took some work to figure out what to flag in what way so that red green and blue lights could effect different surfaces in the right proportions to make it look like everything was in color.

keep in mind, the croquet example was to show what the light could do and the control it offered. I wouldn't recommend that as a good workflow. It would have been a lot easier just to set the surfaces to the desired colors.

About the speed: In most situations the light is about the same as UberEnvironment with the same settings. In some situations it is a little slower. In the right conditions with the right settings the Advanced Ambient Light can be 4 to 5 times faster. Don't expect that speed every time though. In most cases the light will render about the same speed as UE1.

The light loads with higher default settings than UE so it might appear slower at first glance.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

Thank you :) Lighting on a whole takes time to learn, and I know I am still learning all the finer aspects.. and some of the not so finer too :) From what it sounds like I will be picking it up, either when it comes or as soon as the wallet allows for it :)

I rarely use lights out of the box, always love to tweak them a lot and I also rarely use a lightset that came with enviroments and such, because I just love to put them up myself *laughs* Now I just look forward to see it being released ^^

Oh and about the speed, if it's faster it's great :) but speed is so much more than just light after all :)

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

I'm a bit weird in that I often don't care how long it takes to render as long as the results are there. So far it's looking very nice indeed and I'll be picking this up if only to push the boundaries of what I can do with my images. It never hurts to have more tools in ones own arsenal after all.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I'm a bit weird in that I often don't care how long it takes to render as long as the results are there. So far it's looking very nice indeed and I'll be picking this up if only to push the boundaries of what I can do with my images. It never hurts to have more tools in ones own arsenal after all.

YOu not weird or alone there. Time is irrelavent if the results are what you want

• FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 882
    edited December 1969

I don't know if what I did is historical but I liked the look. Here is a larger re-render.

Hehe, I don`t know if the set itself is historically accurate either, I doubt it. ;)
    Anyway, that render is incredible...very much looking forward to your release!
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited August 2013

Mattymanx said:

YOu not weird or alone there. Time is irrelavent if the results are what you want
    ...same here. Can't wait to get this.

For myself being able to work entirely within Daz Studio instead of having to employ a second application in the workflow is much more efficient

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Patiently wears out her refresh button on the store waiting on this one....

:)

edited December 1969

Sorry for the delayed release everyone,

There were a few communication hiccups about the release date on the light. My intent was to release it the middle of last month. When it didn't get released then I thought it might have come up the day after I started this thread.

I'm working with DAZ to see when the next good release date should be. I'm guessing it will probably be a few weeks.

On the plus side, the delay has allowed me some more time to finish up a companion item :)

• FlipmodeFlipmode Posts: 882
    edited December 1969

Happens, been there ;)
    Patiently and eagerly waiting for the release.

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

I am too!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

More eye candy pre-release, please. :)
    More renders using these lights would be much appreciated.
    Thank you.

edited December 1969

I am too!

...so am I.
    edited December 1969

I took a little time last night to do another render showing how the light, with its falloff, works pretty well for simulating bounce lighting. Only one advanced ambient light and one DS distant light were used.

Room_10Sep13c.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 341K
    edited December 1969

...that is remarkable. That looks like the way a room is illuminated in real life.

I never could get the UberArea lights to work right, even after reading the tutorial. I have made some Uber mesh lights, but even that is hit and miss sometimes.

edited December 1969

Thanks,

I think, in real life the shadows would be a little stronger around the sofas and I should have given the plant a little more SSS translucency. Still, I thought the effect worked out pretty well for such a simple setup. It also rendered about 15 times faster than true indirect lighting would have taken (I did some tests with this scene a while back).

The ambient light was placed on the floor between the sofa and sliding glass window. It has a falloff radius of 11 meters which is a lot larger than the room but that allowed some light to come in from the back hallway while still maintaining enough falloff difference to give that brighter bounce light look where the sun shines in. The sun light is just a regular DS distant light with a 1% shadow softness. The distant light's angle should be pretty obvious from the shadow angle.

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited December 1969

That looks really great. Again. :) Can't wait for this.

edited September 2013

...when I first saw it I almost thought it was done with Luxrender or another unbiased engine, it looks that good.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited September 2013

Out of curiosity, what was the render time like (on what sort of hardware)?

Post edited by M F M on
  • JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

You'd never think that was just a couple of lights, awesome.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

Going to be something I'll actually use. 2 or 3 lights only. HELL YEA! All these light sets that when loaded up the Scene tab is FILLED with lights to get effects you seem to be getting with just a few. I'm sold. Plus the renders are stunning!

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

This looks great, and the documentation... I'd already forgotten what good documentation looks like. Kudos :)

I'll probably pick this up even if I don't use DS much.

edited December 1969

Thanks everyone,

That render took (cringe) about an hour @ 1920x1080 and a shading rate of 0.2 on an i7 with 16gig of ram. I did a few renders which looked nearly as good but at a slightly bigger shading rate on the light which took about 15 min. In the end I went with the higher settings to get more detail in the carpet and lessen the noise on the solid white walls.

Now a test I did using an indirect light camera, instead of the ambient light, took 9 1/2 hours at 1280 x 720 with no reflections and was super grainy.

Here is a render I did yesterday that shows the light without falloff and being used as an outdoor skylight. There are only two lights; A pale blue ambient and a light yellow distant light. It rendered in 10 min - 7 seconds.

Courtyard_11Sep13e.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 923K
    edited December 1969

..the more I see of this, the more I am impressed.

That's basically doing an old LDP render of a similar scene in about a tenth of the time. it took me to do it back in the 2.3/3.1 days.

Graininess with IDL is always an issue. I've had to sometimes pump the samples well above 200 and drop the IDL shading rate to 4 just to get clean surfaces. Of course that really slogs down the render time even on my system ( which is about the same as what you are running). Add something like SSS and some reflectivity and you are almost approaching Reality/Lux render times.

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 1969

WOW. That's one gorgeous render. I love the detail on the walls. Hour is a long time for my patience but I never do anything that complex. LOL

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I dont know when the light will be released but my upcomming product that should be release next week, all the full coloured promos use AoA's new ambient light. So sometime next wekk, you will have a few more examples to look at. I would post them early but I prefer to keep things under wraps and also not use AoAs thread to cross promote. But the light is really cool! :D

edited December 1969

I haven't seen a thread for your new cameras yet, so I'll mention them in here.
    http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/graphic-art-cameras
    I've been playing with them all day and having a ball.
    A couple of my renders using them attached.

Zombie_money2.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 428K
    superlichtenstein.jpg
    853 x 1024 - 427K
    edited December 1969

...nice. Considering getting this as today it's less than 5$ for me.

Can you adjust the dot pitch and density?

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...nice. Considering getting this as today it's less than 5$ for me.

Can you adjust the dot pitch and density?

Yep. The product comes with a short but very thorough user's guide icon.
    edited December 1969

...nice. May have to eat hot doggies for a few days but looks very useful as I don't have PS to do that kind of stuff (GIMP has some media filters but none that look as good as these).

• deepsixdeepsix Posts: 62
    edited December 1969

I took a little time last night to do another render showing how the light, with its falloff, works pretty well for simulating bounce lighting. Only one advanced ambient light and one DS distant light were used.

Lol - That ol' Apartment 39 Furniture never looked so good! :D