Floor Grid Boundry?

Hello, forum.

Well, I've been using daz for maybe a month now and I can't seem to find any solutions to a problem I've been having. So, sorry in advance if this is covered somewhere I missed.

My issue is with positioning my models on the floor grid. How can I position both feet at the same level as each other after I create a pose? Or if the model is sitting or lying down, how do I place their feet at the same level as their butt? Or back and head? Is there a way to make the floor grid a solid and prevent body parts from moving below?

It'd be much appreciated if anyone knows anything on the subject. Even if you couldn't fix this, at least then I'd know.

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155

You can load a primitive plane (on the Create menu in Daz Studio) to give yourself a solid floor reference, and then hide or delete that plane when you are ready to render. I don't know of any automated or easy way to get the necessary body parts to touch the floor at the same time, nor any way to keep them from going through the floor. It is a lot of manual  work. The fact that the soft body tissue of Daz models doesn't compress with gravity and collision makes it more difficult. If someone has a good way to accomplish your goals, I'm excited to hear about it. Everyone could benefit from such a solution or tool!

One tool recently released that could help is the Ultimate Pose Mixer. It makes it much easier to lock and unlock body part movement. For example, if you get the  lower body posed, you could lock all those bones so they don't move out of place while you work on the upper body. You can lock and unlock bones without this tool, but the tool makes it much easier and much faster. It is a huge time saver for me.

• So, If the plane doesn't prevent body parts from going through the floor, then what is it's purpose? Is it just easier to see when a foot has gone too low?

I'm glad you mentioned the Ultimate Poser Mixer tool because keeping body parts from moving when moving certain others was another big question/problem I've had.

• ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 505
    edited September 2018
    tmaldune said:

So, If the plane doesn't prevent body parts from going through the floor, then what is it's purpose? Is it just easier to see when a foot has gone too low?

This. The plane would give you a reference point so you can ensure that the model's feet or other body parts are "on" the floor. If I don't actually load the environment I plan to use in the render, then I use this technique.

Depending on the pose, you can use "Move To Floor," which I think is in the Edit -> Figure menu (I'm not at my DAZ computer right now). It can help get you in the neighborhood of the floor. I use that sometimes when I put high heels on a figure.

Post edited by Chezjuan on
  • DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

If I am doing cutom posing, this is the technique I use too. I normally drop a rug prop down so I have the foot positioning right. Also, another tip since you're fairly new. I've been Daz'ing for about 3 years and only about 2 months ago I got hip to the MAGIC that is the Active Pose Control. That's the icon on your workspace that is just an arror. Like your pointer on the screen. When you're adjusting the feet, this is PERFECT becase it isolates the body part selected. I always "pin" the other foot to prevent shifting. If you need help with how to do that let me know. 

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

To get anything to stand on the floor use Ctrl/D, Cmd/D on a Mac.

• rames44rames44 Posts: 329

mCasual also has some scripts that do a good job of this. https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts/mcjdroptotop , I think.

Fishtales said:

See what I mean tmaldune? :P 3yrs and I didn't know this either. Gotta love this forum!

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    DDCreate said:
    Fishtales said:

See what I mean tmaldune? :P 3yrs and I didn't know this either. Gotta love this forum!

Just be aware that some things still float as it is the bounding box that drops to the floor and you may have to tweak the object a little. Also note that it is the Iray floor it drops to, any ground plane that is above that and the object will go through it. I use mcasual's Drop to Terrain and Drop to Top (I think that is what it is called) when it does that.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited September 2018

Some great tips here. I remember 3DMax has this function where you can just place a footstep somewhere, and IK would try to solve how the body should be in space. Such a thing would be a moneymaker on the DAZ Shop *wink wink* to all the plugin creators.

Post edited by Paintbox on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

If you want to position something on top of anything other than the floor, use the Align pane. Select the target first, then the secondary figure/object and look through the options for each axis for what you want to do.

DDCreate said:

If I am doing cutom posing, this is the technique I use too. I normally drop a rug prop down so I have the foot positioning right. Also, another tip since you're fairly new. I've been Daz'ing for about 3 years and only about 2 months ago I got hip to the MAGIC that is the Active Pose Control. That's the icon on your workspace that is just an arror. Like your pointer on the screen. When you're adjusting the feet, this is PERFECT becase it isolates the body part selected. I always "pin" the other foot to prevent shifting. If you need help with how to do that let me know. 

I'm an idiot. I wasn't in front of my computer. It's the tool that looks like a BONE not the pointer.

• maclean said:

If you want to position something on top of anything other than the floor, use the Align pane. Select the target first, then the secondary figure/object and look through the options for each axis for what you want to do.

Great tip. It'll definitely save me time. Thanks!