Please help.. Trying to make a God-like lightning power or use already created one

JENR8JENR8 Posts: 100
edited September 2018 in Daz Studio Discussion

I am wanting to do a "God Hand" like the image attached. I was thinking of using an arm from Genesis or other character and then importing into Bryce or Carrara. Can I get suggestions. It needs to radiate and illuminate. Is Daz Studio better for this? Basically it needs to radiate from the heavens to the ground. I can do Photshop brushes as well but struggling a little.

Hand.Of.God.Calling.Us.Forth0.jpg
550 x 418 - 45K
Post edited by JENR8 on

Comments

• So are you looking for something you can use as a lightning bolt? I ask because that is what is mentioned inyour title for this thread. I could do one for you that you can import into DAZ Studio or Bryce and include instructions on how to get the lightning bolt into your scene. It would have to be an image that you paste onto a 2D plane, and having transparency enabled.

If you would like to see what my lightning bolts would look like, let me know. I'll do a quick picture and upload it to this thread.

Cheers.

• This is a really great tutorial and may give you some ideas to try. Keep going through all of it as he gets into more and more sophisticated methods of customization.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

What you can try but I'm not sure if it's look as good as your picture (it almost certainly won't)

1) Buy these (both on sale now):

https://www.daz3d.com/rdna-atmospherics-fog-vol-1

https://www.daz3d.com/rdna-atmospherics-rain-vol-2

and this (also on sale but more expensive):

https://www.daz3d.com/3d-toon-clouds-for-iray-and-3delight

2) and then use an arm from one of Genesis, Genesis 2, ..., Genesis 8 (all available free as Genesis #number Essentials, eg Genesis 8 Essentials)

3) & set Genesis 8 arm surface to be an emmisive with temperature about 2000K, position in the compsition as you like

4) Use the cutout sliders on all the surfaces tab on the Genesis 8 character except the 'reaching arm' to be 0 so they disappear except that one arm 

5) Use the iRay Toon Clouds you bought and fill the sky with many clouds (I think the iRay storm clouds will work best but am not sure), also you can use those clouds to hide the Genesis 8 character except for the reaching arm

6) Use the fog product and place many planes of fog in front of the reaching arm and elsewhere in the scene as need

7) create a huge DAZ primitive sphere and set the temperature to 867K. Move the sphere behind the fog planes, behind Genesis 8 character, behind the toon clouds by at least 2000 (will probably be 2000 on the Z axis depending on how you set up your scene) and make the size of the sphere big enough to cover 1/4 to 1/3 of the sky. Set the sphere to be emissive as stated at 867K and set it to be brightness 5000 Kcdl/m2 (default is 1500 Kcd/m2 so 5000 Kcd/m2 is extremely bright and should shine though easily the clouds and fog you have set up, you may need to raise or lower the sphere and adjust it's brightness up or down to get the scene looking like sun shining though cloud cover. You'll have to do partial renders though to see what it looks like.

Good luck.

Here is example sunset made using DAZ primitive sphere with emissive light. You'd want to put clouds & fog in front & likely even brighter emmisive light (in the surfaces tab for the primitive sphere) that I have used there. See how the sphere glows and reflects light even though it is 5000 units away on the Z axis? 

Elvis has a smaller emissive sphere behind his head that turns the yellow paint on the stage background to looking like a bright sunset or sunrise

Finally the dragon's fire-breathing flame was created using kcd/m2 order of magniture level emmisive light strength on the dragon's tongue and other mouth parts the and the slight illusion of firelight outside the cage was created by using the fog planes in the product I mentioned above.

None of those is quite as good as photoshop or gimp and good postwork but it is fun trying to figure out how to create effects in iRay.

You could probably buy the pw Shader Bundle for 3DL and create that scene more easily than what I've stated above.

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

https://www.daz3d.com/orestes-electromancy-for-iray

Perhaps that will be useful to try?

• Genesis arm, hot metal shader, fluidos (with hot metal shader)

https://www.daz3d.com/hot-metal-shaders

Arm.jpg
    607 x 266 - 191K
  • Here it is in context.

hand of gawd.jpg
    981 x 701 - 597K
  • MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited September 2018

Night version. Most the light comes from the fluidos (hot metal shader luminosity x10)

I forgot my home machine is set way brighter than most, so I have included a leveled up brightness version.

hand of gawd_night.jpg
    800 x 600 - 310K
    Hand of Gawd_Leveled[1].jpg
    800 x 600 - 299K
    Post edited by MarcCCTx on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

This one I know, my suggestion and how it's done in general :

The light around the scene is a volumetric light. So what you need is cloudy background environment, and then use volumetric light :
    https://www.daz3d.com/epic-props-godrays-volumetric-light-for-iray

They aren't called god-rays for nothing :)

Then, use a silk shader on the arm, it will create a glow around it. Don't know the exact values, but I accidently got a silk look one time, where the edges seem to glow. 

I guess in IRAY you could turn on bloom, but for more control I guess photoshop / affinity photo / gimp is the much better, you select the brighest parts -> copy to new layer -> gaussian blur.

• Good fire effect video.

• JENR8JENR8 Posts: 100

Thank you EVERYONE. I live in NC and we have had issues with hurricane Florence. I got side tracked with things but good. Thank you everyone and I will look into everything! 

• Sounds like you are ok, if so, glad to hear it.