Tattoo/paint for one eye

Hi all. So I'm trying to find some kind of tattoo that covers only one eye exactly how the character Domino has. It doesn't have to be the exact shape, just something very similar. The problem is, all the face paint stuff I came across has been for both eyes and not one. I'm thinking, the best thing I can do at this point is just get a regular mask, and use good old Geometry editor to cut off hald of it. Problem is as some of you may know, it looks better in my head then in real life. Also, I'm no trying have a mask at all, as it will stand out that way. Does anyone know of anything I could use?

Thank you in advance for your help, and have a nice weekend. 

domino1_1280x800.jpg
1280 x 800 - 96K
Deadpool_and_Domino.png
1138 x 774 - 641K

Comments

• Why dont you just do something in gimp or photoshop? Open your head texture in one of those programs, create a layer over the texture, then draw in the tatoo. Save it as Domino tat.jpg or whatever and replace the default character texture with the one you just created.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952

For which figure and which eye?

• Occasionally Photoshop alters the diffuse texture ever so slightly color wise.  For tattoo, I would save the layer done as above as a .png file and apply it via LIE.  A tip = for the layer you are going to add via LIE, draw a small black circle in each corner of the LIE image before saving.  It will auto align when you import it as a resource.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802
    sberlins said:

Occasionally Photoshop alters the diffuse texture ever so slightly color wise.  For tattoo, I would save the layer done as above as a .png file and apply it via LIE.  A tip = for the layer you are going to add via LIE, draw a small black circle in each corner of the LIE image before saving.  It will auto align when you import it as a resource.

@sberlins

wait what's that with the black circle? And you acutally import you LIE mabs and safe them as resource from inside daz? I usually just safe the png to my own textures folder which I placed in the official textures folder.

And to the OP yes I would suggest using the LIE as well.

• sberlinssberlins Posts: 128
    edited September 2018
    Linwelly said:
    sberlins said:

Occasionally Photoshop alters the diffuse texture ever so slightly color wise.  For tattoo, I would save the layer done as above as a .png file and apply it via LIE.  A tip = for the layer you are going to add via LIE, draw a small black circle in each corner of the LIE image before saving.  It will auto align when you import it as a resource.

@sberlins

wait what's that with the black circle? And you acutally import you LIE mabs and safe them as resource from inside daz? I usually just safe the png to my own textures folder which I placed in the official textures folder.

And to the OP yes I would suggest using the LIE as well.

Putting a small black mark (usually just a quick dab of black) at each corner edge of the image you intend to use as an imported LIE layer makes it so when you import it into LIE, it aligns perfectly with the base image layer.  This is assuming you've made the intended LIE layer in Photoshop or similar program.  I don't save as a resource inside DAZ.  There may be a way to do that but I don't know it.  What I do after I've made the LIE adjustment in DAZ, is to go into surfaces tab and select browse for the newly made LIE texture.  It should take you directly to where the LIE combined file is located.  I then just copy that file to the folder in which the base texture is located.

Below is an example of a slight change in base image after opening file from DAZ/Runtime/Texture folder and saving back to same folder with new file name after only adding tattoo.  The black arrow points to edge of arm texture seam and you can see that there is a small but noticable difference in the textures.

Post edited by sberlins on
  • LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,802

@sberlins   Thanks a lot for explaining and all the detail information. this will make some things far easier. I will have to try that soon :D

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,533

Why dont you just do something in gimp or photoshop? Open your head texture in one of those programs, create a layer over the texture, then draw in the tatoo. Save it as Domino tat.jpg or whatever and replace the default character texture with the one you just created.

That's what I did.

• tkdrobert said:

Why dont you just do something in gimp or photoshop? Open your head texture in one of those programs, create a layer over the texture, then draw in the tatoo. Save it as Domino tat.jpg or whatever and replace the default character texture with the one you just created.

That's what I did.

If you do that, you may run into the texture color difference problem I had.  Also, if you save the effect you want (tattoo/scar/whatever) as a LIE useable image file, they you can pretty much use it on any texture of the same figure family(i.e. G8 Female) with just a few clicks instead of having to repaint a texture every time you wish to use the effect.  All the techniques are valid, some are a bit more flexible.

• gsil247gsil247 Posts: 221

Call me an idiot, but I understood very little of what was said here. I don't have photoshop and never used those programs, so I have no idea how to do any of that stuff. But, it seems someone was helped here, so atleast one person was helped. It seems I'll have to hire someone who does the photoshop thing. Thanks though

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,952
    gsil247 said:

Call me an idiot, but I understood very little of what was said here. I don't have photoshop and never used those programs, so I have no idea how to do any of that stuff. But, it seems someone was helped here, so atleast one person was helped. It seems I'll have to hire someone who does the photoshop thing. Thanks though

umm I  think you didn't notice my post ...which figure and which eye ?

• sberlinssberlins Posts: 128
    edited September 2018
    gsil247 said:

There are several free graphic programs that do layers, Gimp is one and Paint.net is another.  You can do with either of these what you can do in Photoshop (for purposes you want - tattoos/paint on a figure in specific areas).

Layers are like placing clear plastic over the base image (the original skin texture in this case).  When you draw or paint on this layer, you do not affect the underlying skin texture image.  If you open the original base face texture in a graphic program (either of the previously mentioned) and then add a layer, you can paint to our hearts content on the new layer without disturbing the original.  You can hide the base face texture layer and save the image as a file type .png.  I typically do this in the original character texture folder.

In DAZ, with your character loaded and original texture applied, select the face texture and then then select the little icon in the corner of the diffuse layer.  Left click the little icon and you'll get a drop down list of all the textures in your scene.  Near the top is one called Layered Image Editor (LIE)

Select that one and you will be taken to the LIE.  It will display the base face texture.  Use on of the check boxes towards the bottom of the window to 'Zoom to fit' the image to the image window.  Select 'Add a layer' and the whole screen will turn black.  Don't panic:)  The block next to 'Resource' should display 'None'.  Its a drop down menu and gives you two choices:  Browse and None.  Selecting 'Browse' allows you to find your tattoo file you made in Gimp or Paint.Net.  Open it and it will display onto the imagine in the LIE main window overlayed on the base image.  If you just saved a small image - the eye tattoo itself- it will load in the center of the image.  You can use the X and Y position sliders to move the tattoo overlay image around and also scale it.  If you drew the tattoo in GIMP or Paint.NET and it is the right size and position you want, then placing a small black spot in the very corners of the tatto image before you save it will perfectly position the tattoo overlay when you load it into LIE.

I suggest you play around a bit with this.  You'll find its a pretty neat way to alter testures without too much difficulty.  It works on all textures, not just character skins.

The first attached image shows the icon you left click on to get the drop down that allows you to access the LIE interface.  The second is the LIE interface window.  This texture has already had a LIE layer attached so all the check boxes don't necessarily match what is said above.  But you can see the ones mentioned.  Also in the image window note the small black paint dots in each corner.  Those are on the imported tattoo layer so it automatically aligns with the base face texture without having to mess with X or Y movements.

Sample one arrow.jpg
    341 x 445 - 105K
    LIE window.JPG
    1540 x 1365 - 267K
    Post edited by sberlins on