[Released] Oso Shader Pack 1 for Iray

https://www.daz3d.com/oso-shader-pack-1-for-iray

It's out it's out! Whew.

Another procedural shader I've been tinkering for quite some time, this shader procedurally generates various tile and brick style patterns.

You can vary metallicity, glossy, refraction, and more. Displace based on brick vs grout, when working with high density meshes, or rely on a generated Normal edge between them.

There are settings that can randomly vary the darkness of individual tiles, or placement of bricks. Other settings can create variations between the overall layout of the bricks.

And being procedural, you could make a brick landscape without obvious repeated tiling.

Other cool features:

Rotation, so you can align tile with a given surface or just create weird patterns.

Easy Tiling UV for Genesis 8 Male and Female. This is essentially a 'flattened' uv that creates seamless tiling over the figure.

You can refurbish old content, or fill in elements of new content. It uses no maps, so it's a bit easier to fit a scene on a GPU for rendering.

It's also a MR, and can be included in new products.

Example of Easy Tiling UV and displaced brick

All tiled surfaces in this image use OSP1

Showing off Easy Tiling again

I've often had trouble getting Winterblack Halls to fit in my GPU. Now, not so much! (candles and window cutouts are original, everything else is OSP1)

Enjoy!

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

I liked the look of these and picked them up, although when I will get around to useing them is a different story smiley

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,850

Great pack - grabbed it together with Otter. Well done, Oso3D.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,148

Oh, this looks worth having just for the G8M and G8F tiling UV's! And the low (zero?) maps mean I might be able to fit a scene onto my (puny) GPU for rendering too. In the basket, awaiting a second item choice.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Love the G8 UVs! That's really cool! 

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,889

Melanie: No maps needed at all.

There are three layers; two combine for the tile (using perlin noise to vary, for a dirt-like effect or just random variation), then a third layer for grout.

Mind you, if you play with it, you can really do weird things with the grout layer; the checkerboard pattern is actually tile alternating with grout.

There is a pdf in Documentation, but I tried to provide a lot of presets for most regular usage.

• I got a silly question.....

for this image.....

Is it the shader that makes this look or is there an object that's a cubed out sphere that you applied the shader to?

I have to imagine that somehwere on this earth that diced-up-cube is a prop....

And I like it and I'd like it.

• Looks great! I'll be messing around with this for quite a while wink

Griffin: totally the shader.

It’s a sphere primitive, 64 sides and segments and subdivided one or two times.

Iray displacement might be annoying, but if you can get the mesh fine enough, coolness.

Does this shader require UV map on the object, where it is applied?

The tile generation relies on UV mapping, yes. The Perlin component doesn't, but that's a minor element of the shader.

One reason I included a rotation element is that I found, in testing more primitive versions of the shader, that I'd run into cases where the bricks would run the wrong way with the uv map of a given environment, and I'd not really have any option to move forward.

Mind you, there will still be cases, in old content, where the UV may be mapped every which way, and at that point you don't have a lot of options other than to try to apply masked layers or use geometry editor to split a surface.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

Note that you can apply this shader to an Iray decal and then use the projection functionality from Iray decals.

Of course then you have to deal with the peculiarities of Iray decals (namely, crossing all surfaces and no displacement)

edited September 2018

My first try of this pack and I like it very, very much. What's an innovative and well designed product.

It is so much fun using it - I guess it will be a keeper.

Thank you very much for creating this pack, Oso3D.

Latonya03pic02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 586K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited September 2018

And another one...

Are there any possibility to fix the seam on the right thigh (on the left in the image)?

Latonya05pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 379K
    Post edited by Artini on

Not sure.

Is it using Easy Tiling UV? (Hard to tell)

Is it using Rotation? If so, try adjusting the rotation.

How do you apply Easy Tiling UV?

I've just created geoshell, adjusted visibility and applied your shader preset.

edited September 2018

Never mind - figured it out. One need to change UV set to Easy Tiling.

Another question, if you please.

How to remove the gap on the white area?

I have used OB Blinds preset.

Latonya10pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 436K
    Latonya10pic02.jpg
    1280 x 1080 - 378K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited September 2018

Figured it out - Horizontal Tiles parameter needs to be 1.0 (instead of default 1.2).

Post edited by Artini on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Purchased and looking forward to playing with them! Thank you for making them Merchant Resources! :)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,148
    edited September 2018

My first trials (late last night) - I haven't really figured out which parameters do what (I think I need to read the user guide a few times over!) but I'm enjoying trying things out.

Brick Man is using one of you presets (well, three including th wall and floor) with a bit of displacement tinkering.

UVMan is using your tiling UV's with another shader set (some marble tiles), to see how it would turn out.

Oso-Shaders-Brickman.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 614K
    Oso-Shaders-UVMan.jpg
    768 x 1024 - 556K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

Artini: yeah, the gaps make them look more like blinds; glad you figured it out while I was sleeping, heh.

And wow, Melanie, looks good with other shaders, cool

Still have to figure out, what the other parameters will do.

I have posted the quick render to Latonya 8 thread, so the people out there will be aware of your awesome shader pack.

• Just picked this up Oso after seeing it in store. WOW! You have put a lot of effort into this by the looks of it and no doubt had to overcome many hurdles along the way. Can't wait to get the chance to give it a good run (whilst I continue creating my first batch of products for Daz submission). Inspiring work. Well done :) 

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455
    edited September 2018

Really cool shader, brickman is a nice addition to the Surrealist toolbox.  

Peeled_head and -Oso_brickman.png
    3840 x 2160 - 6M
    Post edited by FirePro9 on
    edited September 2018

Very nice, FirePro9.

Terrain mix...

WalhOverlook01pic07.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 387K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948
    Oso3D said:

The tile generation relies on UV mapping, yes. The Perlin component doesn't, but that's a minor element of the shader.

One reason I included a rotation element is that I found, in testing more primitive versions of the shader, that I'd run into cases where the bricks would run the wrong way with the uv map of a given environment, and I'd not really have any option to move forward.

Mind you, there will still be cases, in old content, where the UV may be mapped every which way, and at that point you don't have a lot of options other than to try to apply masked layers or use geometry editor to split a surface.

Maybe I haven't explored it enough - plus I am still extremely new with the settings used for surfaces...in the promo images, for rotation, those look like scales, not bricks.  I would like to know how you accomplished that.  Thank you.

The scales aren’t generated, sorry if that’s misleading; I set the grout height and width to 0 so it’s just the base color.

I wanted to highlight the rotation function.

Also, hey, if you have some texture you just want to rotate on a surface, there you go.

• So, I was working in 'Industrial Loft,' as you do, and it's a great set, but I couldn't get the bricks of the wall to look right. At the same time, I loved the idea of them.

Then I remembered I'd picked this Shader Pack up.

A few tweaks and adjustments to the settings, and... well, that's just a flat out great brick wall. Thanks!

Glad it worked out for you!

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 508

Hmm.. I can't seem to get this to work anymore. It worked fine for me a while back. Is it working ok for everyone else in DS 4.12.0.86? maybe there was a trick to use it I've forgotten :)

oso.gif
    1154 x 528 - 261K