Sending from Daz to ZBrush with the skin colour included.

Hi everyone,

I am sure this is a really noob question but I cannot find an answer to this problem that I can understand. When I send a genesis 3 model from Daz to Zbrush using GOZ or exporting as an .obj it opens in just a white material. I think this has something to do with UV mapping (which I don't really understand)

If anyone can help I'd super appreciate it. 

Alex

Comments

• This isn't possible via GoZ, and is tricky even using OBJ export/import. The problem is that the Daz figures break the skin up into several regions, each of which uses the whole of the area of its map (well, there are white areas - but they sprawl over the whole square and overlap). Zbrush doesn't know how to handle this so it's necessary to mask areas off, apply maps, then mask off other areas, apply maps, and so on.

• Hi Richard. 

I really appreciate you letting me know because I have been hitting my head against a wall for a while now. do you know how I can export the uv maps from Daz perhaps from the polygroups - I'm a total novice when it comes to this. 

Alex

• The UVs themselves aren't the issue, theya re attached to the mdoel. The first problem is the surface groups - to get those into ZBrush you have to export as OBJ from DS, then in ZBrush you have to set Import Mats as Groups in the preferecnes for OBJ import (I can't recall the exact wording). Then you import the maps, invert them on V. Finally you have to go throughmasking or hiding all but one set of surfaces, Polypaint from texture, then show all, set the enxt map as the current texture, hide all but its polygons, Polypaint from texture, and so on. If you are wanting to create maps you have to to the opposite, converting polypaint to texture group-by-group.

• Hi Richard - That is really useful - I would never have got there. I have just one other question - is there any way that I can take a shortcut in painting my model in Zbrush. Is there some "Human" texture I could just drop straight onto my model - or is that just too much to hope for?

Thanks again fro your time and knowledge

Alex

• molineaux said:

Hi Richard - That is really useful - I would never have got there. I have just one other question - is there any way that I can take a shortcut in painting my model in Zbrush. Is there some "Human" texture I could just drop straight onto my model - or is that just too much to hope for?

Thanks again fro your time and knowledge

Alex

There are merchant resource sets for most figures, which would give you a starting map for customisation for a commercial product (but not, in most cases, for freebies). Or do you mean a set of matcaps in ZBrush for skin painting? I'm sure there are, with varying terms of use, but I'm not familiar with them.