Duf file open failure

3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
edited August 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Anyone see this before. I was excited to see 8.5 releasing, so I grabbed a Daz scene to bring it into carrara, and get this failure. Makes me a little less anxious about 8.5, since this is the latest Beta.

fail.jpg
418 x 143 - 15K
Post edited by 3dOutlaw on

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,247
    edited December 1969

I think that some of the reason for the time between when 204 was released and the official release was that they were fixing just that sort of thing. Of course, we'll still need to be mindful of what we're asking Carrara to read... but I have a good feeling that you might be able to open it in the official one... but I don't know what was being sent as duf, either.

There may become a day when all of the things that DS can output will be read by Carrara - and, who knows, possibly the other way around as well. But that would be a massive undertaking. Would be cool though, wouldn't it? ;)

You know what you're doing though, so I'm probably right with my first hunch.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

Of course, we'll still need to be mindful of what we're asking Carrara to read...

So, basically, what you are saying is there is no guarantee that Carrara and DS duf files are interchangeable. I was thinking that was part of the goal of that new duf format? (i.e. better interchangeability)

Anyway, at least I learned something, thanks for the response and the optimism! :)

edited December 1969

Well, I was still using Build 172, so that may have been my problem...

edited August 2013

3doutlaw said:
    Of course, we'll still need to be mindful of what we're asking Carrara to read...

So, basically, what you are saying is there is no guarantee that Carrara and DS duf files are interchangeable. I was thinking that was part of the goal of that new duf format? (i.e. better interchangeability)

Anyway, at least I learned something, thanks for the response and the optimism! :)Well, it was my understanding (nothing official, just my speculation) that the main intention was to give Carrara Genesis compatibility - at least that's what I've voted for in the poll way back when.
    In this pursuit, they've managed to take it a bit further - perhaps their goals are set very high for the most powerful possible outcome(?)
    I know that build 204 cannot export any form of .duf
    Exporting DUF being missing from Carrara is fine with me, as I think it will help to avoid the confusion of "What can you export from Carrara that you can actually open in DS?", which must be a nightmarishly small answer, or rather "what cannot" would be an enormous list. I still watch my PhilW TV all the time and use his method of scaling universally to Poser scale (1.042) prior to exporting .obj and using the default Poser OBJ export preset, with the exception of answering the texture export according to my needs. Then importing into DS using its Poser preset works perfectly. I've been finding that my Carrara SubD modeling looks perfect with SubD applied in DS as well. Which is Very Cool! As well as the two work together now, I don't really ever need a bridge, of sorts. It's a very smooth and fun work flow the way it is. I've really been coming to love the new Daz Studio as my Carrara Triax assistant ;)

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited December 1969

OK thanks. I've started the scene again in 204, slowly building it, after remebering Andy had mentioned a while back, best to start scenes for Carrara, in Carrara.

Now that I am back, I've got to relearn how to get my V4 Skin mat settings from Poser to Carrara again. If I remember its related to Shininess or something.

Ugh...switching between applications...I should really stick to one, but I want to do an animation, and I like Carrara's stuff best for that.

edited December 1969

Agreed. Me too - Carrara is my favorite animation software - but I also use it as I used to use Poser as well - I've replaced the whole ball of wax with this, most wonderful (and powerful) suite!
    Try this little article for straightening out your shaders woes. If it doesn't completely get you started, just ask. I love tweaking shaders in Carrara. The Texture room is a favorite hang out of mine! ;)

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

There have been lots of fixes to reading DUF files since the last Public Beta. In the 204 beta any scene, from DS, with two of the SAME legacy base figure (2 Victoria 4's for example), or two genesis, or 2 genesis 2 Females will fail. 2 of the same base legacy figure will lock things up.

edited December 1969

OK, I will give it another try with 204 and post back. It was just a scene with a single V4, as I was limiting what I needed to import.

edited December 1969

...well it got further, but died again :(

fail2.jpg
    421 x 149 - 16K
    edited August 2013

3doutlaw said:
    ...well it got further, but died again :(

I am currently looking at build 243, just to give you an idea of how far we have progressed. :) If you file a support ticket through the help center. http:\\bugs.daz3d.com, or follow the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page, and include the DUF file as well as a list of what is in it, we can take a look.
    Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited August 2013

OK, will do, but that link brings me to: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/home

Did you want me to submit a Help Desk request? I seem to remember there used to be a bug tracking system?

EDIT: Found this thread, so I will submit a help desk ticket: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26978/P15

UPDATE: Bug submitted

Post edited by 3dOutlaw on
    edited December 1969

3doutlaw said:
    OK, will do, but that link brings me to: https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/home

Did you want me to submit a Help Desk request? I seem to remember there used to be a bug tracking system?

EDIT: Found this thread, so I will submit a help desk ticket: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/26978/P15

UPDATE: Bug submitted

Yes, we consolidated help desk tickets with bug submissions, in an attempt to make both your life easier as well as ours. :)