Animated Footprints? (Bare Feet)

EightiesIsEnoughEightiesIsEnough Posts: 970
edited August 2018 in Product Suggestions

Is there anything I can purchase in the DAZ shop or anywhere where I can purchase something to generate animated footprints as a figure is walking, and leaving a trail of footprints?

Post edited by EightiesIsEnough on

Comments

  • Dunno....  I did see some footprint-shaped OBJ files over on ShareCG tho that could work in a pinch.  You'd have to place them manually, though.

  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,665

    You can use dForce, instructions can be found here, here, and here.

  • Would I have to install a dForce driver to my computer in order to use dForce?  Because I am afraid of installing a driver and end up frying my motherboard, and it may be possible that installing a certain driver may have killed my last computer - an ACER model - in May of last year.

    I presently have an ASUS computer.

  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,102
    JonSea31 said:

    Is there anything I can purchase in the DAZ shop or anywhere where I can purchase something to generate animated footprints as a figure is walking, and leaving a trail of footprints?

     

    Fluidos does exactly you want. See this video:

    image

  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,665
    JonSea31 said:

    Would I have to install a dForce driver to my computer in order to use dForce?  Because I am afraid of installing a driver and end up frying my motherboard, and it may be possible that installing a certain driver may have killed my last computer - an ACER model - in May of last year.

    I presently have an ASUS computer.

    dForce uses OpenCL that is likely on your computer.  It uses your CPU or GPU (you can choose). It may run fine on your current GPU driver, but if it's and old driver, it may need to be updated to use GPU mode. I've used it on a 2-year old Asus laptop without issue.

  • Actually, I wasn't referring to leaving footprints in stuff like snow and sand.  I was referring to leaving footprints on surfaces such as floors, sidewalks and pavement - for the purpose of creating an episode that involves invisible characters which would leave the footprints.

  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 12,209
    Alberto said:
    JonSea31 said:

    Is there anything I can purchase in the DAZ shop or anywhere where I can purchase something to generate animated footprints as a figure is walking, and leaving a trail of footprints?

     

    Fluidos does exactly you want. See this video:

    image

    That's amazing!  I imagine this could be done with other things, like runners on a sleigh, or wagon wheels in mud.

    Dana

  • AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,102
    DanaTA said:
    Alberto said:
    JonSea31 said:

    Is there anything I can purchase in the DAZ shop or anywhere where I can purchase something to generate animated footprints as a figure is walking, and leaving a trail of footprints?

     

    Fluidos does exactly you want. See this video:

    image

    That's amazing!  I imagine this could be done with other things, like runners on a sleigh, or wagon wheels in mud.

    Dana

    Yes, of course!, you can use any object with closed mesh (i.e. anything that has volume).

  • JonSea31 said:

    Actually, I wasn't referring to leaving footprints in stuff like snow and sand.  I was referring to leaving footprints on surfaces such as floors, sidewalks and pavement - for the purpose of creating an episode that involves invisible characters which would leave the footprints.

    I don't think there's a product that will do that, but it shouldn't be too difficult to make something.

    You'll need a square image of a white footprint on a black background. Create a plane primitive and use this image in the opacity channel . Set the diffuse colour to whatever colour you want the prints to be.

    You now have a single footprint that you can place just slightly above the surface being walked on. Make multiple copies (or, better still, instances) for multiple prints, setting the x scale to -100% to convert a left print into a right one. Lay them all out and make them all invisible, then progressively make each print visible as your character walks through the scene.

    The effect will be a bit cartoony, but should do what you want.

  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,665
    edited September 2018

    Ah, I see. I used dForce to make a single footprint impression, then made it into an .obj and imported multiple copies and added a shader. They are a plane that sits below floor level, so you could raise them up on the timeline so they show up as needed.

    First image is water on tile:

    Second image is sand on concrete:

     

    dForce wet footprints.jpg
    640 x 640 - 235K
    dForce wet footprints 2.jpg
    640 x 640 - 220K
    Post edited by RGcincy on
  • What an amazing and creative solution @RGcincy

  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,665

    Thanks Worlds_Edge. I'll be writing it up on my dForce thread when I get the chance.

  • SylvanSylvan Posts: 2,637
    Leaving a comment for future reference. This all looks awesome to experiment with!
Sign In or Register to comment.